Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#254077 - 11/30/12 07:25 PM Re: California Court decision regarding "Switchblades" [Re: drahthaar]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Arney, you cause me to think about another situation. Imagine a folder with a screw that comes loose, causing the blade to come off from the knife. Is the blade sitting concealed in your pack a fixed blade knife at that point? If not, why not? I don't think intent is part of the law.

#254216 - 12/02/12 11:35 PM Re: California Court decision regarding "Switchblades" [Re: Russ]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Russ
Considering his time, trouble and money expenses, I would not call that a win. When CA reimburses him for those expenses, he'll have a win -- not holding my breath.

Not exactly arguing, just setting the facts straight. WRT the cost to the Defendant, note that the had a court appointed lawyer. Still hell to go through for no good reason.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#254218 - 12/02/12 11:49 PM Re: California Court decision regarding "Switchblades" [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Quote:
Andrea S. Bitar, under appointment by the Court of Appeal, for Defendant and Appellant.
I'm actually shocked that an Appellant had a court appointed attorney. Is that normal/common? Still, I'm sure there are expenses other than for the lawyer, but time and trouble alone take this out of the "win" column, at best he broke even.

Now for the rest of us this is definitely a win, we now have precedent that the Benchmade, Spyderco, et al one hand opening folders we own are legal. Hmm, have the assisted openers been tested in court?

#254223 - 12/03/12 01:49 AM Re: California Court decision regarding "Switchblades" [Re: Arney]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I think I found an answer to my own question. I'm not sure how much weight a memo of legislative intent by the original author of California's knife law has on a DA's decisions on whether to prosecute, but I found a clarifying document at this page.

The relevant section of the memo discusses what types of knives are exempt from the category of a switchblade:

Quote:
...In order to ensure that only legitimate one-handed opening knives are covered, SB 274 narrows the language to only allow knives to fall under the exemption from the switchblade law if that one-handed opening knife contains a detent or similar mechanism. Such mechanisms ensure there is a measure of resistance (no matter how slight) that prevents the knife from being easily opened with a flick of the wrist. Moreover, a detent or other mechanism is prudent and a matter of public safety as it will ensure that a blade will not inadvertently come open.

Although some one-handed opening knives can be opened with a strong flick of the wrist, so long as they contact a detent or similar mechanism that provides some resistance to opening the knife, then the exemption is triggered...
(Emphasis mine)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 377 Guests and 55 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.