Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#253912 - 11/27/12 05:45 PM Re: how do I choose the right first aid kit? [Re: picard120]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Do something beats do nothing.

Can argue stats all day long,just like caliber.

What matters IMO is there are people successfully revived walking among us so I say do it.

Might get lucky with CPR,without it you wont for sure.

#253915 - 11/27/12 05:54 PM Re: how do I choose the right first aid kit? [Re: picard120]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
When it comes to CPR, I've been trained and really don't care what the stats say. I'd never forgive myself if I didn't try. I use the same rule for CPR as I do for first aid, as long as it's safe for me (and my kids, if I happen to have them with me) I'll do what I can.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#253921 - 11/27/12 07:22 PM Re: how do I choose the right first aid kit? [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
I'd never forgive myself if I didn't try.

That's precisely the way I feel.

#253925 - 11/27/12 08:47 PM Re: how do I choose the right first aid kit? [Re: ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Isn't it interesting that we have focused on an aspect of urgent first aid whose application primarily requires skill and training, and very little equipment (essentially none if you know the victim really well). It's what is inside your head that counts; the stuff in the little box can be very useful, but it is not nearly as important as your knowledge.

#253930 - 11/28/12 03:10 AM Re: how do I choose the right first aid kit? [Re: ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

As do I.

I would assume most in health care would agree.

I've lost track, but somewhere between 5-10 saves in around 100 arrests. Most were witnessed, in-hospital arrests. In the field, maybe 2.

As for how long you can do CPR, it too varies. One person performing solo, I would assume short times- probably because you get so winded. But I've personally done compressions over 30 minutes. Can't comment on the quality of them towards the end, and it is quite a workout!

#253931 - 11/28/12 03:25 AM Re: how do I choose the right first aid kit? [Re: picard120]
Ironwood Offline
Journeyman

I am just glad someone FINALLY mentioned DUCT tape!!! A cornerstone of my first aid kit.
I too agree to get trained get comfortable with your skill set and run some senarios AND of what you would want on hand. I was a W-EMT/ Life Guard while I worked for a youth camp, and the "Golden Hour" will dictate a lot of what you feel is necessary for your kit. Less than an hour from hospital/professional help, vs. hours or days. Communications ("coms") and trip planning becomes critical in extended distances from help.

All good input. Ironwood

#253949 - 11/28/12 03:54 PM Re: how do I choose the right first aid kit? [Re: MDinana]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: MDinana
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

As do I.

I would assume most in health care would agree.

I've lost track, but somewhere between 5-10 saves in around 100 arrests. Most were witnessed, in-hospital arrests. In the field, maybe 2.

As for how long you can do CPR, it too varies. One person performing solo, I would assume short times- probably because you get so winded. But I've personally done compressions over 30 minutes. Can't comment on the quality of them towards the end, and it is quite a workout!
Ive seen hour long codes and brought em back....then died in 8 hours,Im not much for extended codes.

As for %,wow,your experience is low,we bring back about what,a third at least witnessed in house codes.

Boy do numbers vary.

As for viable,long term survival after,that number is pretty low for us too.

But some do,so Im still a firm believer you try.

I once did compressions back when the rate was around 70/minute. Guy had a sawn ganz and PA pressures read 40/20 (it was so pretty I had a coworker run a strip of PA and EKG,as pretty as if it was his own heart),and the man did survive,and we didnt do the crushing compressions we do on this latest AHA guidlines.

My point is,no matter how you do it,some times it just works.Does NOT have to be latest text book perfect per guidlines to be effective.

#254056 - 11/30/12 06:52 AM Re: how do I choose the right first aid kit? [Re: spuds]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: spuds
Do something beats do nothing.

I think the phrase is "First, do no harm".

Sometimes the patient needs a little less of Johnny Hero - sometimes nothing may be better than the best any bystander can do.

#254058 - 11/30/12 08:15 AM Re: how do I choose the right first aid kit? [Re: picard120]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

If my heart stops I hope bystander Johnny Hero at least tries while 911 is enroute.

I know if your heart stops in front of me and Mrs we will be all over you instantly,not making a judgment call on should we or shouldnt we.

Ive made that call after a code is finished in retrospect,but never to not start short of rigor mortis or do not resuscitate order if someone collapses.

OK,once at an accident scene when the guys brain was all over the road.It was pretty clear he wasnt going to live without a brain,or be revived.

#254062 - 11/30/12 02:30 PM Re: how do I choose the right first aid kit? [Re: picard120]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
"sometimes nothing may be better than the best any bystander can do."
True, But I'll leave That decision to A. competent medical authority or B. God.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.