Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#253974 - 11/28/12 08:13 PM Any SAK's available without blades?
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I find the inclusion of knife blades on a SAK a waste of space for my needs. I always carry a seperate, better quality, more useful knife. The only SAK makers that I am aware of are Victorinox and Wenger, but neither of them make what I'm looking for that I can tell. And neither has any kind of "custom shop" where you can design your on SAK (that would be a very cool option to have IMHO!)

I don't really need a corkscrew either, never having found the need for an emergency bottle of wine. At least Victorinox has realized the idiocy of including this tool in 95% of their SAK's to some extent, by making a micro screwdriver insert that fits inside the coils, thus making the corkscrew somewhat useful (as a holder for an extra screwdriver).

An online "design and order your own customized SAK" would be a nice marketing opportunity I would think. Too bad nobody does it that I can determine.

Although I have a Leatherman Wave, amongst other multi-tools, I don't find them easy to carry (nor needed) on a day to day basis, and prefer the slimmer inside pocket carry profile of a SAK (without the "K" part, preferably!)

#253975 - 11/28/12 08:28 PM Re: Any SAK's available without blades? [Re: haertig]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
you can sometimes replace the blade with something else yourself. spare parts are readily available.

Bob

#253995 - 11/28/12 11:03 PM Re: Any SAK's available without blades? [Re: haertig]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
For myself, I really like having a spare knife on my multitool. I would probably get rid of the serrated blade on my LM ST300, keeping the straight edged blade. I think it would be awesome if Leatherman offered a customizable chassis-based multitool solution.

There's one guy on EDCF (metropolicity) who has done some pretty awesome Leatherman and other mods I've seen. He's also behind the Skinth sheath.

#253996 - 11/28/12 11:09 PM Re: Any SAK's available without blades? [Re: haertig]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
The only thing that pops to mind are Leatherman's travel friendly tools (which all seem pretty pocket-friendly too). I guess it depends on what tools you would be looking for in a knife-free package.

#253998 - 11/28/12 11:34 PM Re: Any SAK's available without blades? [Re: haertig]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
With regard to the LM Style PS, I've brought one through airport security about half a dozen times so far without difficulty. While it would be a lot more useful for me if it had a small knife blade, I've been glad to have it a few times.

#254012 - 11/29/12 05:38 AM Re: Any SAK's available without blades? [Re: haertig]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Metropolicity is doing Leathermans only right now, but there are people at MultiTool.org who you might be able to talk into doing a build for. You might look at http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/board,16.0.html, particularly the stickied items at the top.

You might also decide to use a different form factor. The LM Wingman and Sidekick are ridiculusly easy to take apart, and Home Depot has one of them on sale for like $20- take it apart, and put it back together without knife blades and without the plier head, with some of the tools from other handle in the head even if you are willing to get fiddly.

Or buy yourself a pair of good tweezers, a pair of good, small scissors, a p38 can opener, and a cheap multibit screw driver small enough that all this fits in an altoids tin. Add a couple wire twist ties, a few paper clips, maybe a needle or two with some thread on them, a few tooth picks and a pair of nail clippers if there is still room. You could do that for the cost of a Vic Spartan or Tinker.

And I agree, being able to pick layers and combinations from Victorinox would rock.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#254025 - 11/29/12 04:16 PM Re: Any SAK's available without blades? [Re: haertig]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX
what about the "bladeless" models? (i don't know if they're still in production)

wenger air traveler #16912:
http://www.wengerna.com/air-traveler-16912

victorinox bladeless #47802:

#254026 - 11/29/12 05:38 PM Re: Any SAK's available without blades? [Re: haertig]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
OK it has a blade... I don't read many comments about the middle sized multi tools... I was given this Leatherman Juice S2 for Christmas last year, and it replaced the Farmer in my EDC...I'm not a hiker, and more likely to use the pliers/ wire cutter and scissors than the saw (I carry a section of hack saw blade elsewhere)...it is slightly shorter, a little wider, and thinner than the Victorinox Farmer...the blade point is very handy for minor splinter surgery...

Edited by LesSnyder (11/29/12 05:39 PM)

#254030 - 11/29/12 06:23 PM Re: Any SAK's available without blades? [Re: LesSnyder]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I was just wishing here. I don't need to spend a bunch of money having a custom job done on a SAK. I'll just carry the one I have, which has a little more than I really need (namely, the blades and corkscrew).

Really, what I use routinely are - all the screwdrivers (including the little one inside the corkscrew), bottle opener, toothpick, tweezers, reamer (as a fingernail cleaner, not a reamer). I've never opened a can with the SAK, other than to test if the can opener worked (it actually works fairly well), never opened a bottle of wine with it. I have used the blades once or twice, but so rarely that I'd just as well get rid of them and replace them with a file, a saw (don't know that I'd use that either), or a pair of scissors.

Here's my current one, not perfect, but not too bad a mix of tools - it's a Victorinox, a special make-up for REI years ago I think. It didn't come with the mini corkscrew-held screwdriver, I got that seperately from Victorinox. I like the phillips screwdriver built into the inside of the tool rather than off of the bottom as most are these days.

#254051 - 11/30/12 04:56 AM Re: Any SAK's available without blades? [Re: chaosmagnet]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
With regard to the LM Style PS, I've brought one through airport security about half a dozen times so far without difficulty. While it would be a lot more useful for me if it had a small knife blade, I've been glad to have it a few times.

Same here. I travel with my Leatherman Style PS and I'm pleased with it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 611 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.