Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#253821 - 11/25/12 10:45 PM Lifeline Utility Shovels?
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
Anyone had reason to press a Lifeline Utility Shovel into action? I don't much care for the locking feature for the telescoping handle, but the sharp edge on the blade, and size/weight/packability have me intrigued.

#253826 - 11/25/12 11:38 PM Re: Lifeline Utility Shovels? [Re: yeti]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Lifeline is not a brand known for quality. Just saying....
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#253828 - 11/26/12 12:30 AM Re: Lifeline Utility Shovels? [Re: yeti]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Offhand, it looks like a cheap version of a mountaineering (avalanche). On a high mountain or a glacier, a good, sturdy shovel is a vital tool - not the kind of implement to go cheap on. I have used shovels a lot doing archaeology and wildland fire fighting where they are effective and versatile. If I could have just one tool on a fire line, it would be a shovel, but in those situations, weight is much less of a concern. What you need there is a stout (really stout) handle which the lifeline clearly does not possess.

For non-mountaineering situations, various military entrenching tools work rather well, and they are reasonably compact. You can put a sharp edge on any digging implement, and I do so on nearly all of mine. It improves their effectiveness remarkably

#253832 - 11/26/12 12:43 AM Re: Lifeline Utility Shovels? [Re: yeti]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
For digging out of thick, heavy snow, without taking up your entire trunk, I recommend Voilē's telescoping shovels. I have one in each car. Shorter shovels are much harder to use and hurt my back. For non-snow digging, I also have a Cold Steel shovel, and I have sharpened the edges on a grinder.

#253852 - 11/26/12 03:54 PM Re: Lifeline Utility Shovels? [Re: yeti]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
I'm still carrying around a Glock shovel (entrenching tool) I received several years ago. I wonder if anyone ever ended up purchasing that Chinese Army shovel that was the rage a couple of years back. There was a video of it being used with some interesting background music. It looked pretty useful if it was of good manufacturing quality.

Here's the link to the video for nostalgia purposes.

Edited by celler (11/26/12 03:57 PM)

#253853 - 11/26/12 04:18 PM Re: Lifeline Utility Shovels? [Re: yeti]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
I was looking for some information about backcountry / avalanche shovels recently and came across this document and found it helpful: Shovels That Span the Divide Between Heaven and Hell

#253854 - 11/26/12 05:20 PM Re: Lifeline Utility Shovels? [Re: yeti]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

For vehicle use and for bug out bag, I use one of these;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roughneck-68004-Shovel-27-inch-Handle/dp/B003CT4DFE/ref=pd_sim_diy_19

I filled the gaps between the shaft and the blade with 2 part Epoxy then painted it with some Krylon paint to camo it up. It weighs the same as the standard Fiskars NATO folding shovel.

The steel blade is very tough and hard.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (11/26/12 05:20 PM)

#253864 - 11/26/12 07:56 PM Re: Lifeline Utility Shovels? [Re: Denis]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Thanks for a most informative reference - it is the real scoop on shovels. I am surprised that the Black Diamond product did not perform better.

#253874 - 11/26/12 10:45 PM Re: Lifeline Utility Shovels? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
K9medic Offline
Stranger

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
For vehicle use and for bug out bag, I use one of these;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roughneck-68004-Shovel-27-inch-Handle/dp/B003CT4DFE/ref=pd_sim_diy_19

I filled the gaps between the shaft and the blade with 2 part Epoxy then painted it with some Krylon paint to camo it up. It weighs the same as the standard Fiskars NATO folding shovel.

The steel blade is very tough and hard.

I have the square mouthed version

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roughneck-Square-Shovel-27-inch-Handle/dp/B003CT4DFO/ref=pd_bxgy_diy_img_y

Last time we had snow it cleared the wheels nicely, just wouldn't want to clear my path with it.

#253878 - 11/26/12 11:22 PM Re: Lifeline Utility Shovels? [Re: chaosmagnet]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I do not like telescoping shovels, folding shovels, or plastic shovels despite the convenience factor. I have settled on keeping a square bladed garden spade in the back of my Jeep.

A square blade is far more versatile at digging in snow and ice that a spade shaped blade. And a real hanlde makes a huge difference in effectiveness and not hurting my back.

I never understood the attraction of a toy type entrenching tool where you have to get down on your knees to use it. In combat conditions it is one thing, but I am not being shot at and have no desire to kneel in the mud, much, and snow to be able to use my cool short shovel.

Bob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.