Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#253952 - 11/28/12 04:03 PM Re: Explosion in massachusetts [Re: dougwalkabout]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
What's the obsession with the strip club?

You really have to ask that question? I think the answer is pretty obvious - it is a strip club!

In some respects it might not be relevant but you are not going to be bringing a backpack or other large container with you into a strip club. Probably not to a bar or a theater either.

So where you are has some relevance in that there are places you are highly unlikely to have much on you other than what is in your pockets.

You are not going to be bringing a useful size crowbar with you most places either, but you might be able to stash some useful tools at work if you have a secure palce to put them.

Bob

#253953 - 11/28/12 04:05 PM Re: Explosion in massachusetts [Re: reconcowboy]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Mrs has a purse and was management so you all know the dress code,she is more equipped than any of her coworkers are/were.

A purse even for a professional can carry a lot of good things,a Lot! She has gerber knife,multi tool,2 flashlights,mask,pepper spray....who knows what else.

#253963 - 11/28/12 06:56 PM Re: Explosion in massachusetts [Re: reconcowboy]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I think we can all agree that it is not likely that one can carry on their person all the things useful for any emergency. Even so, there are measure one can take. Even a little prep can go a long ways.

#253965 - 11/28/12 07:05 PM Re: Explosion in massachusetts [Re: reconcowboy]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I see here excuses that tend to end the conversation without changing habits. OK, thank you for the information, but you're still walking around without gear. A woman can still carry a cell phone, flashlight, whistle, and bandana in a small side pocket of her purse. That minimal gear is 1,000 times better than zero gear. It's up to the individual. Unfortunately, it usually takes personal experience with a strong scare like this case to motivate someone.

Every piece of gear needs to modified for small carry. The traditional suggestions need to be modified for this thread. For example, instead of a face mask, I recommend a bandana. When you wet the bandana and wrap around nose and mouth, it's effective against smoke inhalation. It may not be the best, but it's 1,000 times better than zero gear. Let's be real. A woman carrying a face mask in her purse is just NOT going to happen.

Regarding a flashlight, she doesn't have to carry something that's respected on Candlepowerforums.com. She just needs to get the job done better than zero gear. Here's a tiny flashlight just to generate more ideas on effective small gear:
http://www.bepreparedtosurvive.com/FlashlightsProducts.htm

Regarding a whistle, there are many small and effective ones. I just bought a few small whistles to try out so that I can have a whistle on me at all times:
Victorinox Distress
JetScream
ACME 636 Tornado Slimline

#253970 - 11/28/12 07:48 PM Re: Explosion in massachusetts [Re: Dagny]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Dagny

If she drives to work, I'd focus on outfitting her vehicle. Worst case (she left her purse and keys in the damage zone), she can bust a window to get into it.

Then she'd need to have an ignition key stashed in the car.

This seems like the ideal solution. It's also something that we all should consider.

I've long had the benefit of living within easy walking distance of the office. Having a commute of more than a few miles is a different ballgame, especially if you are reliant on mass transpiration (subway or bus).

Very true. Each scenario has it's own challenges, but certainly the above BOV solution won't work if you are relying on public or bipedal transportation.

Nice that you are looking out for your daughter in this way.

I completely agree!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#253971 - 11/28/12 07:54 PM Re: Explosion in massachusetts [Re: ireckon]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: ireckon
A woman can still carry a cell phone, flashlight, whistle, and bandana in a small side pocket of her purse. That minimal gear is 1,000 times better than zero gear.

I totally agree.

Originally Posted By: ireckon
Regarding a flashlight, she doesn't have to carry something that's respected on Candlepowerforums.com. She just needs to get the job done better than zero gear. Here's a tiny flashlight just to generate more ideas on effective small gear:
http://www.bepreparedtosurvive.com/FlashlightsProducts.htm

This ^ - Yes. It's way to easy to make it way to complicated by expecting the exact best piece of gear. It doesn't need to be that complicated.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#253985 - 11/28/12 09:41 PM Re: Explosion in massachusetts [Re: reconcowboy]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
If leaving the building, I've always taken my purse because I never have enough pockets (if any) to carry even the basics (wallet/keys/phone) -- the universal EDC items for most people in the past decade.

So, fellas wishing to help the females be more prepared: focus on the purse.

But don't make it too heavy or she won't carry it, unless she is personally committed to the cause.

Intra-office carry is the quandary for females. Because of 9/11 and anthrax and close proximity to both, I became paranoid enough to take my purse to every meeting outside of my immediate vicinity. This is a habit that has persisted.

For office workers who do meetings that may take them away from their desk, a commonly-carried accoutrement - by both sexes - is the zippered leather portfolio.

Pretty limiting but even a sleek portfolio could stash cash, a key, a credit-card-size survival tool, small matchbook (or tiny firesteel). A tiny e-Pico or flat light could fit in mine. A black e-Pico light would not be too out of place hooked to the zipper of my black leather portfolio.

I wonder if anyone is marketing a survival portfolio -- there are James Bondian possibilities to starting from scratch with the entire design. Hit a button - out pops the BK-7. Another button - the zip line unspools....

#254000 - 11/28/12 11:39 PM Re: Explosion in massachusetts [Re: reconcowboy]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I've learned the hard way during a fire alarm in zero-degree weather that carrying one's car keys is not optional. My car keys stay with me.

#254010 - 11/29/12 04:11 AM Re: Explosion in massachusetts [Re: reconcowboy]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
for those of you that wear a clip on ID badge... a real Photon and flat TOPS 3 chamber whistle on a split ring ...attached at the back of the ID clip...

#254011 - 11/29/12 04:58 AM Re: Explosion in massachusetts [Re: Dagny]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California

For office workers who do meetings that may take them away from their desk, a commonly-carried accoutrement - by both sexes - is the zippered leather portfolio.

Pretty limiting but even a sleek portfolio could stash cash, a key, a credit-card-size survival tool, small matchbook (or tiny firesteel). A tiny e-Pico or flat light could fit in mine. A black e-Pico light would not be too out of place hooked to the zipper of my black leather portfolio.

I wonder if anyone is marketing a survival portfolio?

Will a "Tactical Padfolio" work? I was looking at padfolios today since my organizer was getting cluttered with scratched notes from a dozen different projects. Any one could unobtrusively handle plastic "emergency" car keys, a small pen or keychain light, credit card tool (i.e Swisscard), small whistle, and flat N95 mask.

Keep in mind this is a corporate "get out of the building NOW!" kit for when you can't get back to your desk. My experience has been that the flashlight is the most important tool followed by the key, mask, whistle, and finally the credit card tool. Ironically, the credit card tool will get the most day to day use.

Edited by Mark_R (11/29/12 05:06 AM)

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.