Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#253797 - 11/25/12 12:42 AM Explosion in massachusetts
reconcowboy Offline

Loc: Ohio
My daughter was in the explosion in Springfield Mass. She said the place went boom. Everyone ran. She said hell no, I need my cell phone and purse. With that being said, I want to make a bug out kit designed around the Altoids kit for just such an emergency. she works on the first floor. Please list what you think she needs so I can compile a list along with what I am already thinking. Please help me.

#253799 - 11/25/12 01:05 AM Re: Explosion in massachusetts [Re: reconcowboy]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
IMO, an Altoids tin type of kit is mostly a gimmick, especially for the type of emergency your daughter encountered.

Again, IMO, at best it is something you throw in your pocket when you go out in the woods in case you get seperated from your real gear.

Your daughter may well have made a perfectly rational choice.

Edited by ILBob (11/25/12 01:05 AM)

Bob

#253802 - 11/25/12 01:44 AM Re: Explosion in massachusetts [Re: ILBob]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
If you're wanting to dig yourself out from the debris after an explosion, an Altoids tin is not going to hold a crowbar, shovel, etc.

I would recommend a 1xAA or 1xAAA LED flashlight and a whistle - always kept with you, not in a purse or something you might normally be seperated from. If you are prepping specifically for another explosion, some type of dust mask would be good too.

#253803 - 11/25/12 03:48 AM Re: Explosion in massachusetts [Re: reconcowboy]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
to Haertig's recommendation of light, whistle and dust mask

you might consider...
make the mask an R95 or P95 for aerosols
lithium cell in the LED
eye protection... splash goggles or swim goggles
bottle of water to rinse eyes, rehydrate
handi wipe to decontaminate skin if necessary
alternate shoes to heels
battery pack to charge cell phone
small AM/FM radio for situational awareness
cash in small bills
multi tool
work gloves
window breaking punch
non adherent telfa pads, roll of Kerlix (to pack wound if necessary), roll of Coban stretch adhesive tape, ACE bandage, irrigation syringe

for the office a small "wonder tool" prybar with a notch that can break a chain link fence...small hacksaw...

#253804 - 11/25/12 04:06 AM Re: Explosion in massachusetts [Re: LesSnyder]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
There is a strong emphasis on personal protective equipment in the recommendations in this thread, and rightly so. i would go so far as to suggest a good hard hat, preferably better than the usual construction model. It could serve as the container for most of the suggested items. Some nitrile or latex gloves might be good in addition to the work gloves, which really ought to be stout leather.

#253805 - 11/25/12 04:15 AM Re: Explosion in massachusetts [Re: hikermor]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Originally Posted By: hikermor
There is a strong emphasis on personal protective equipment in the recommendations in this thread, and rightly so. i would go so far as to suggest a good hard hat, preferably better than the usual construction model. It could serve as the container for most of the suggested items. Some nitrile or latex gloves might be good in addition to the work gloves, which really ought to be stout leather.

I am inclined to think the suggestions are far better than what little can be put in an Altoids tin however, most of this stuff is things that can be readily carried with one all the time.

If one works in a specific office, it might be something you could store in a desk drawer or filing cabinet, or a locker if one worked in a shop area and had a locker.

But for most people there just is no place to store this kind of stuff that is secure and fairly easy to get to if it is needed.

I keep a few things in my lunch bag, and some more stuff in my car, along with a little bit in my desk.

Bob

#253806 - 11/25/12 06:10 AM Re: Explosion in massachusetts [Re: ILBob]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Looking at the pics of Springfield, MA -- http://news.yahoo.com/gas-explosion-levels-mass-buildings-several-hurt-010509036.html
Quote:
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (AP) — A natural gas explosion in one of New England's biggest cities on Friday destroyed two buildings and damaged others beyond repair but didn't kill anyone, authorities said.

Firefighters and gas company workers were among more than a dozen injured people, they said.

The explosion in a downtown area of Springfield, 90 miles west of Boston, blew out all windows in a three-block radius, leaving three more buildings irreparably damaged and prompting emergency workers to evacuate a six-story apartment building that was buckling. ...

Hmmm, Hardhat, face mask/respirator including eye protection, boots, flashlight, whistle... That said, in a pocket sized Altoids kit you can fit a dust mask folded down, a whistle and a Photon type light. Then again, I never tried it disliking Altoids tin kits as I do; she will need to decide what she is willing to carry.

I'd prefer to have a kit in my vehicle compatible with its size which would have gear more adaptable to other emergencies. This is only one specific scenario.

#253808 - 11/25/12 06:49 AM Re: Explosion in massachusetts [Re: reconcowboy]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I realize this is a family-oriented forum, but there is no getting around the fact that the explosion happened in a strip club. When you go to a strip club, either as a customer or as a worker, do you really think about taking a hardhat, a respirator, etc. with you???

#253809 - 11/25/12 06:56 AM Re: Explosion in massachusetts [Re: reconcowboy]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I recommend she carries some type of purse/bag that allows her to keep her cell phone, flashlight, whistle, and bandana on her at all times. No, setting her bag down at her desk is not the same as carrying it on her person at all times. This new method will require a lot of thought on her part. I know how girls like to look cute.

I personally carry a small manbag around whenever I'm not in the shower. So, if I can get it done as a man, then she should be able to do so. However, I will admit it took me a few years to find a set of manbags that fit my needs for every situation. It's trial and error. If she can't, then the Altoids kit or whatever won't do much good because she'd still have to run back in and get her kit next time. That is, if she's so fortunate to be able to do so.

#253810 - 11/25/12 02:02 PM Re: Explosion in massachusetts [Re: reconcowboy]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

If she drives to work, I'd focus on outfitting her vehicle. Worst case (she left her purse and keys in the damage zone), she can bust a window to get into it.

Then she'd need to have an ignition key stashed in the car.

If she spends much time driving to and from work, odds are much higher that she'll have to deal with the car breaking down than her workplace blowing up.

Get her in the habit of keeping her fuel tank above half-full.

To protect your daughter through Massachusetts winter commutes (or a workplace evacuation), I'd have in her vehicle a fleece sleeping bag liner, down booties (and snow-worthy boots and wool socks), chemical hand and foot warmers, Smartwool or fleece neck gaiter (or balaclava), fleece hat that covers ears, WARM mittens, headlamp (+ extra batteries), cell phone charger, Bic lighter, matches, Esbitt stove (+ fuel tablets), stainless steel mug, hot cocoa or tea bags and Lipton Cup 'o Noodles soup (or whatever she prefers), and a couple bottles of water.

Also - the usual traffic safety items: reflective markers so oncoming traffic can see her if her car fails in or near the roadway. Unbeknownst to her, you might also stash some small bills in some hidden compartment in the car (I have several interior panels that easily pop off). And make sure she has roadside assistance coverage through her auto insurance or AAA or whoever.

I live in DC, and my workplace was among those hastily evacuated on 9/11. We were also affected by the anthrax attacks a few weeks later. When offices are contaminated and quarantined, anything you left behind stays there until the premises are decontaminated.

Ever since in DC, no matter where my office was, I never left my purse behind when going to meetings in or out of the building. Ever since, I've had a Petzl Zipka headlamp-wristlamp in my purse (a blessing one night when the neighborhood lost power while I was walking home from work). Nowadays, I also have a Bic lighter and a few other items in my purse.

I've long had the benefit of living within easy walking distance of the office. Having a commute of more than a few miles is a different ballgame, especially if you are reliant on mass transporation (subway or bus).

Nice that you are looking out for your daughter in this way. My dad made sure I knew how to change a tire out after I began driving, but that's it. And I lived in Oregon on Mt. Hood and drove a lot on snow-covered roads. Proving the adage: better lucky than smart.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.