Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#253619 - 11/21/12 08:21 PM Re: Mock "Get Home" [Re: Denis]
LED Offline
Veteran

I recommend Spenco Adhesive Knit over duct tape for blister protection. I've used it for years and its the best stuff out there IMO.

Thanks for the write up. Nothing can substitute for real world experience. I always learn so much from these threads.

#253676 - 11/22/12 05:39 PM Re: Mock "Get Home" [Re: Denis]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I keep a "gym bag" at work with snacks, walking shoes a fleece jacket and a water bottle.

#260113 - 04/30/13 06:29 PM Re: Mock "Get Home" [Re: Denis]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

added a spare phone charger.

#260118 - 04/30/13 06:53 PM Re: Mock "Get Home" [Re: Denis]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I walk 3 and a quarter miles everyday before work.

I work about 6 and a half miles from home.

I am pretty much convinced I could get home eventually even if I had to walk.

I would probably feel it afterward though.

I wear some hiking shoes. they are Columbias and actually suck big time as trail shoes but seem to work pretty good as daily wear shoes. Given most of the way home is paved they would likely suffice if less than ideal.

Bob

#260133 - 04/30/13 09:09 PM Re: Mock "Get Home" [Re: gonewiththewind]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Montanero
I think this is a good exercise, on several levels. The physical preparedness (fitness, equipment, clothing) is a good thing to test on a regular basis.

I'm commenting on an old post now, but I'd like to add something to Montanero's point about this being a good exercise on several levels. Another aspect is that a mock "get home" done with some repitition is an excellent idea for your mental preparation.

Most things that seem daunting or overly burdensome before you ever try it, often turn out to become pretty routine after you've done it two or three times. That 8 hour car drive which seemed to take for-EVER the first time, seems to go by a lot faster after a couple trips. And that three hour walk home may seem like "a walk in the woods" after a couple times, too.

I think that's a tremendous advantage when something happens at work and you're faced with the prospect of walking home. You've done it, you know you can do it, and it doesn't scare you. You don't need to feel anxious or try to impose yourself on someone else to come get you or to feel panicked about having to catch a ride with someone. That also gives you the freedom to stay behind at work longer, if need be, say, to stay with someone who is waiting for a ride. Or if you're going to bring someone with you or walk with someone at least part of the way home, you will naturally demonstrate the confidence that yes, indeed, you can walk this way and that it's possible for the other person to do so, too.

Since we're only talking two hours one way, I don't think it's unreasonable to try and do this on a monthly basis. That's probably enough repitition to make the walk home seem pretty routine. And is good exercise to boot!

#260138 - 04/30/13 11:37 PM Re: Mock "Get Home" [Re: Denis]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
One of my favorite topics, because being prepared provides a measure of personal control in our individual sliver of a larger situation that will be beyond our control.

For many in D.C. and NYC on September 11, 2001, "get home" by foot became more than a logistical planning exercise. A lot of my girlfriends, in particular, cursed their choice of footwear that day (heels, of course). They kept sneakers at their office afterward but I'll bet many have gotten out of the habit as 9/11 memories fade.

I've lived within a mile of work for a couple decades so this has not been a pressing personal concern. But I have considered that something could happen when someplace other than work and because of where I live it may not be possible to drive home because of bridge or road closures. On the evening of 9/11, I thought about going out to Arlington, VA to visit friends but ultimately did not because of rumors that it might not be possible to get back over the bridges. So my vehicle is well-equipped for an overnighter and with a backpack (and hiking boots, socks, trekking poles, etc....). Some suggestions for a "get home" bag:

shoes/boots/socks/
map
headlamp + extra batteries
first-aid
cotton bandanas
N-95 mask
AM-FM radio + extra batteries
Leatherman
hiking pole (I have one with a cane-type handle)
cash
Sharpie + note pad
water
energy bars
lawn-garbage bag (emergency poncho)

Should go on some day hikes with these items and gauge how long it takes to travel the distance you may have to in a crisis.

3 mph is a good walking pace on flat ground. If I lived further than 5 or 10 miles from work I’d be looking at keeping an old (but recently tuned) bicycle and bike tire pump there.

#260146 - 05/01/13 02:15 AM Re: Mock "Get Home" [Re: Dagny]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I always feel most comfortable when I am wearing shoes that I know I can wear to walk at least five miles. If I have to dress up, then a pair of real shoes under the desk is a good idea. It hasn't happened very often, but I have had to walk home - once an eleven mile trip.

A little planning helps. Often the best walking or biking route is not the one you drive in a car.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 223 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.