Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#253532 - 11/18/12 10:55 PM Mapping Hurricane Sandy’s Deadly Toll
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/11/17/nyregion/hurricane-sandy-map.html?emc=eta1

Mapping Hurricane Sandy’s Deadly Toll

At last count, officials were attributing more than 100 deaths to Hurricane Sandy. Some patterns emerged in mapping the deaths in the region. Elderly residents were hit especially hard, with close to half of the people who died age 65 or older. In New York City, the majority of deaths occurred in Queens and on Staten Island, and most people perished at the height of the storm, drowned by the surge.

In more inland areas, downed trees were more often the cause of death. The days after the storm were also deadly, as people tried to clear away storm damage or used poorly ventilated generators to ward off the dark and the cold.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#253539 - 11/19/12 12:43 AM Re: Mapping Hurricane Sandy’s Deadly Toll [Re: ]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Yeah, lots of drownings. Very sad. Probably few of them ever expected the water to be so high or swift in their neighborhood. I wouldn't be surprised if none of them had ever seen flooding in their neighborhood before, no matter how long they have lived there.

The past ten years, including the 3/11 quake in Japan, has reinforced in me that historical records are not upper limits on how bad things can get or how often they can happen. Especially with events weather-related, once-a-century events seem to happen with increasing frequency nowadays.

#253543 - 11/19/12 05:23 AM Re: Mapping Hurricane Sandy’s Deadly Toll [Re: Doug_Ritter]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
How many of these fatalities occurred in areas that were under mandatory evacuation orders as the storm approached?

#253544 - 11/19/12 07:55 AM Re: Mapping Hurricane Sandy’s Deadly Toll [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland
Sandy also killed many in other countries too. They also count.

#253546 - 11/19/12 12:49 PM Re: Mapping Hurricane Sandy’s Deadly Toll [Re: Doug_Ritter]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Most were so easily preventable, by simply evacuating and having minimal supplies. What a shame.

#253548 - 11/19/12 04:27 PM Re: Mapping Hurricane Sandy’s Deadly Toll [Re: gonewiththewind]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
A quick glance revealed a lot of reports of people found drowned in their basements. Sounds like they were hiding from the wind when the water got them.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#253549 - 11/19/12 05:40 PM Re: Mapping Hurricane Sandy’s Deadly Toll [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Besides the water, a whole lot of people were struck by falling trees or wind-driven tree limbs, too.

And a number of falls down stairs in the dark. I wonder if those people even had flashlights? Granted, most were elderly, so it's hard to say whether visibility was the main factor or not.

#253554 - 11/19/12 08:20 PM Re: Mapping Hurricane Sandy’s Deadly Toll [Re: hikermor]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
I don't have the figures but there was flooding in Evacuation Zone B, which was predicted to need evacuation only in the case of Class 2 or 3 hurricanes. The Mayor called for a mandatory evacuation in Zone A only(flooding in Class 1 hurricanes).

The combination of high tide, full moon and hurricane made the tidal surge much higher than anticipated. Undoubtedly, some in Zone B were caught off guard.

#253555 - 11/19/12 09:17 PM Re: Mapping Hurricane Sandy’s Deadly Toll [Re: DesertFox]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: DesertFox
I don't have the figures but there was flooding in Evacuation Zone B, which was predicted to need evacuation only in the case of Class 2 or 3 hurricanes. The Mayor called for a mandatory evacuation in Zone A only(flooding in Class 1 hurricanes).

The combination of high tide, full moon and hurricane made the tidal surge much higher than anticipated. Undoubtedly, some in Zone B were caught off guard.
It turns out that maximum wind speed (the Category 1..2...etc scale) is not the only important variable for predicting storm surge. There is a better metric called "Integrated Kinetic Energy" (IKE) which takes into account not only wind speed, but the area over which those winds blow. I posted a couple of links about this over on the "Lessons from Hurricane Sandy" thread, but will re-post one link here.

According hurricane researcher Brian McNoldy at Superstorm Sandy packed more total energy than Hurricane Katrina at landfall:

Quote:
It has been demonstrated time and time again that the storm surge generated by a hurricane is not very well correlated with the storm’s intensity or peak winds, but rather the storm’s size - which the IKE metric captures. The area over which strong winds blow across the ocean is strongly related to the resulting storm surge potential.

Although Sandy was only about Category 1 at landfall, the large area the storm covered made for a much bigger storm surge than would have been predicted based only on wind speed.

Edited by AKSAR (11/19/12 09:19 PM)
Edit Reason: fixed my bad spelling

#253559 - 11/19/12 11:33 PM Re: Mapping Hurricane Sandy’s Deadly Toll [Re: Doug_Ritter]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it.

I call your attention to the 1938 hurricane. My dad lived thru it, he was 12. The storm literally reshaped the coast line in many places.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.