The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#253499 - 11/17/12 01:24 PM Re: "Hybrid Generator" [Re: thseng]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Les,a good source for propane refer are old RV's.And the older models are better quality.Ones from the 1970's will outast you,getting 10 years today is pretty impressive say many folks.

However,total energy used puts propane at the top of the list vrs electric.Used to have the numbers,but propane fridge uses about 4 times the energy a modern 'EnergyStar' refer uses IIRC.They are NOT energy efficient.

#253500 - 11/17/12 01:32 PM Re: "Hybrid Generator" [Re: thseng]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Those old RV fridges are very finicky though. They only cool to about 30 degrees below outside temperature so in the hot summer they may not keep your food/medicine cold enough.
They also have to be kept level, if I take my camper out of the garage to the driveway the fridge warms up.

#253503 - 11/17/12 01:45 PM Re: "Hybrid Generator" [Re: thseng]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Eugene,true to a point,in the RV on the road they bounce around so level less important.

Our 1979 3 way refer would freeze still in 100 + weather but that was on electric,you are right,less cooling on propane but I dont recall ours ever getting warm on propane,just wouldnt freeze things very well.

On 12 volt its use was pretty marginal for sure.It certainly had limits,very good point.Thanks for pointing that out.

Some work arounds are keep direct sunlight off backside and a computer fan over condensers helps too.

Friends indoor old Serval type was a fine machine just on propane.They are fine machines that last forever but.....

Im much more impressed with electric models,they are better appliances overall in offgrid/grid down scenarios IMO.

But I wont knock anyone getting propane,they work and work well no doubt about it.Just breaks down to how it will be used for YOUR particular needs as you percieve them,thats variable and the right answer is what works for you.

#253513 - 11/18/12 11:58 AM Re: "Hybrid Generator" [Re: LesSnyder]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
since the demand for a refrigerator compressor start is triggered by a thermostat, how about a time delay relay, that can first energize the electric start of the generator...allow a 15 or so second run time to get up to speed... then energize the relay to start the compressor....when the compressor kicks off, it grounds the ignition to stop the generator....

comments from engineers?

That is similar to what I did for friends.
The fridge thermostat calling for cooling automaticly energised the remote start control of the generator.
When the fride was cold enough, the generator stopped.
This worked fine for several prolonged power cuts.
The freezer was also connected to the generator, but had no automatic starting provision, it being considered that simply running the FREEZER whenever the FRIDGE called for power would be sufficient.
Whenever the generator was running it also supplied a 1KW water heater and a large battery charger. Lighting was 12 volts from batteries.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.