The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#253450 - 11/16/12 03:11 PM Batteries
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
I came across this article about rechargable batteries.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/11/13/the-best-batteries-for-your-buck-savings-experiment/?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl5%7Csec3_lnk1%26pLid%3D234840

Does this ring true? Is a rechargable better than a Lithium battery?

I never had much luck with NiCads.

Blake

www.outdoorquest.blogspot.com

Edited by Outdoor_Quest (11/16/12 03:12 PM)

#253451 - 11/16/12 03:32 PM Re: Batteries [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
It depends on the use.

Rechargeables, especially high-quality rechargeables, are great in devices that you're maintaining regularly. The device may have some parasitic drain, and all batteries have a self-discharge rate. So I use rechargeables in places it makes sense for me and my patterns of use.

Primaries make more sense for long-term storage, as they can have a very low self-discharge rate, especially lithium primaries.

NiCds suck. NiMHs (especially Eneloops) can be very good, as can LIon batteries like 18650s.

#253458 - 11/16/12 04:24 PM Re: Batteries [Re: chaosmagnet]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
NiCds suck

They don't really suck, its just that most folks previously have been using chargers that suck.

NiCds are perfectly serviceable batteries and have very good and long life times i.e. up to 1500-2000 charge/discharge cycles. They can also deliver large Amperages i.e. a D-Cell can delivery upto 30A.

They can also be stored for years completely discharged then brought back to life with a decent charger.

The downsides are the overall capacity, self discharge rate and the memory effect. But no worse that Lead Acid technology. But saying that I have a couple of Fusionmax 800mA 1.2 NiCds (I don't know where they came from or even remember purchasing them) which are dated 09/2008 (I'm guessing that was the end of life date as NiCds haven't been available for sale for quite a few years in Europe) running quite happily in a TANK007 TK-566 Flashlight.

Don't throw away your NiCds just yet as they could be become quite useful in 10 years time if the supplies of Lithium and other rare metals become scarce. wink

#253460 - 11/16/12 05:00 PM Re: Batteries [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland
I really can't see Lithium ever being in short supply as it is being aggressively recycled, but it could become a strategic tool of the politicians, of course, which is a different matter.

#253466 - 11/16/12 06:06 PM Re: Batteries [Re: Ian]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Ian
I really can't see Lithium ever being in short supply as it is being aggressively recycled...

Really? I have always read that although the recycability of lithium from batteries is highly touted, the reality is that there is virtually no lithium recycling happening (at least in the US, reportedly). The process is complicated and expensive and does not make sense economically until the price of lithium goes far higher. It makes more financial sense to recycle the more valuable nickel and cobalt in these batteries than to recycle the lithium. See this and this as examples.

#253468 - 11/16/12 06:17 PM Re: Batteries [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
NiCds are perfectly serviceable batteries and have very good and long life times i.e. up to 1500-2000 charge/discharge cycles. They can also deliver large Amperages i.e. a D-Cell can delivery upto 30A.
They can also be stored for years completely discharged then brought back to life with a decent charger.

NiCd's can also tolerate overcharging that would eventually destroy other battery types, although it's not recommended. That's why devices like solar-powered (or more accurately, solar-recharged) garden lights typically use NiCd cells. Although the venerable Maglite Magcharger now ships with a NiMH battery stick, the equally venerable Streamlight SL-20X still uses a NiCd battery stick.

But if battery chemistries were girlfriends, I think I would rate NiCd as being "high maintenance". Treat her right and life is good. However, low self-discharge NiMH batteries have gotten so good that they are a convenient direct replacement for alkaline cells in most respects and in most consumer applications, although the older non-low-self-discharge cells are still common, so many consumers still may not realize that there's a newer, better kind of NiMH battery out there.

Come to think of it, I just found a box of old Panasonic NiCd C cells in the garage. I probably haven't touched them in 15 years. I should see what my Maha charger can do with them.

#253469 - 11/16/12 06:23 PM Re: Batteries [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Outdoor_Quest
Does this ring true? Is a rechargable better than a Lithium battery?

I just read the text at that link and I don't see any mention of lithium batteries specifically. The article seems to be referring to common alkaline batteries. But as I just mentioned in my other post (gosh, three consecutive posts in one thread--I'm shameless! smile ) low self-discharge NiMH batteries are basically viable direct substitutes for alkalines for most folks, especially for smaller sizes. The bigger C and D cells are a bit pricier to buy, which may put off some folks, but even alkaline C and D cells aren't exactly cheap nowadays either.

#253470 - 11/16/12 06:51 PM Re: Batteries [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
LED Offline
Veteran

Buy a set of Eneloops and a good charger. It'll change your life. Okay, not really, but they're fantastic batteries.

#253473 - 11/16/12 09:42 PM Re: Batteries [Re: Arney]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I don't know that you can definitely say that lithium are "better" than NiMH - it depends upon the application. I will put lithium primaries in items that are going to be used infrequently and stored for potentially long periods of time - also where cold weather is anticipated or weight is really critical. Eneloops for just about everything else. They will save you a lot of money and cut down on your environmental footprint.

#253475 - 11/16/12 10:04 PM Re: Batteries [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I carry Lithium in all my EDC flashlights. The flashlights must be able to operate in the cold. I'm experimenting with rechargeable Li-ion because of the high current they provide, and my flashlight must be brighter than yours. I don't have any experience with NiMH. It's good to hear NiCd batteries are good if you take care of them, but I personally have had bad experiences. Meanwhile, there are other options that are not as high maintenance, while still performing well. Alkaline batteries have no place in flashlights I carry away from home, unless there's no other choice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 406 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.