Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#253165 - 11/11/12 03:53 AM slingshot a good survival item?
freeballer Offline
Journeyman

Loc: nb, Canada
I was wondering how many of you would find a slingshot /w ammo a good survival item to carry? Although it'd take some practice, I'd imagine it could be used for small game but I was wondering if its worthwhile. I've always had materials for, or premade snares... But what if you saw a furry nearby, could slingshot take down an a rabbit?

Thanks for stoping by,
Geoff

#253167 - 11/11/12 05:05 AM Re: slingshot a good survival item? [Re: freeballer]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada

#253173 - 11/11/12 04:27 PM Re: slingshot a good survival item? [Re: freeballer]
Pete Offline
Veteran

+1. It is a good piece of survival gear for small game.
Use any convenient ammo - you need nothing special.
small stones, ball bearings etc. easy to acquire.

Pete2

#253175 - 11/11/12 04:53 PM Re: slingshot a good survival item? [Re: Pete]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I shoot slingshots for fun, not hunting. But they are very good for hunting small game a close range. Provided you have practiced and become proficient. You will not pick up a slingshot, never having used on before, and start harvesting yourself rabbits on your first attempt. You'd be hard pressed to hit a cow from 15 feet away! So, practice is your first order of business. It takes a while, but not too bad.

You will need spare bands. Don't hold out false hope that you can steal the elastic from your underwear or bra to power your slingshot in an emergency. Bands die from use (obviously) but they also die from UV radiation. So keep them stored in dark containers. Inspect frequently for signs of wear. The smallest crack/nick on a band will cause it to fail very quickly.

Remember your safety glasses (or at least regular glasses or sunglasses at a minimum)! Many people don't understand that when a slingshot band breaks it is at one of two places. Where it attaches to the pouch (which will most likely be a "harmless" break - whacking your hand/arm possibly), or where the band attaches to the fork. If it breaks at this second place, you have a broken band flying right back at the eyeball you are aiming with. That is not an injury you ever what to have, let alone in a survival situation. In addition to safety glasses, before drawing the band and raising the slingshot up in front of your face (this is the way most, but not all, people shoot), inspect the bands closely for damage and then stretch them a couple of times - away from your face! - so that if they are just about to break it won't be in front of your eye on your first shot.

#253328 - 11/14/12 06:39 AM Re: slingshot a good survival item? [Re: freeballer]
freeballer Offline
Journeyman

Loc: nb, Canada

I would think ammo has some effect on its deadliness? But, here at least, there's all kind of small game. Steel shot should have slightly more kenetic force, but I imagine a marble size rock would do the trick.

You aren't kidding. I had one slingshot break and sent the small pvc piece and the band straight onto my knuckles. It was not pleasant….

I have one thing in favor of a slingshot. I use stretch bands (elastic) for stretching and warming up. They are in fact a little stronger than regular slingshot bands.. plus ammo is relatively available.

Absolutely correct you can't just pick one up, but I have the same handicap for any weapon. Its been ages since I shot a gun, I'm starting out in archery & a good crossbow is as much or more than a decent .22cal. It definitely shouldn't replace a good weapon. I definitely agree with you on that.

Oh wow! I followed those posts…. and found this as suggested vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NshtEe_TsRA&feature=relmfu

#253331 - 11/14/12 06:46 AM Re: slingshot a good survival item? [Re: freeballer]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
If you practiced assiduously with it it would probably be a good weapon for harvesting small game. But I would point out that in the space it takes to store a slingshot, extra bands and some suitable ammunition you could simply carry a PLB and not need to hunt in the first place! wink While I'm being a bit facetious, conventional wisdom holds a pretty low place for hunting & fishing in survival kits. Food is seldom a high priority since you won't generally live long enough to starve to death. I can think of a couple fairly high profile cases where the person was lost long enough for food to become an issue but I'm not sure a slingshot would have helped.

My take is that it doesn't hurt to have it in your pack if you're proficient with it but I'm not sure it's the best use of space if you're talking just survival gear.

#253344 - 11/14/12 01:45 PM Re: slingshot a good survival item? [Re: freeballer]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
broadhead arrow would probably take a deer sized animal, though not humanely...

#253345 - 11/14/12 01:46 PM Re: slingshot a good survival item? [Re: freeballer]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Originally Posted By: freeballer

I'm starting out in archery & a good crossbow is as much or more than a decent .22cal. It definitely shouldn't replace a good weapon. I definitely agree with you on that.

Oh wow! I followed those posts…. and found this as suggested vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NshtEe_TsRA&feature=relmfu
Yes,Mrs didnt believe me that I spent more for her crossbow than her rifle.

Awesome link,that guy has some skill and a cool cool slingshot.

That said,Im going to make coffee,put on a warm jacket and drag mrs and the dogs to a couple hours at the range,nothing like it for entertainment,a little shooting,mutts running in the great outdoors,Gotta Love it!

Edit,OBTW,Mrs likes her slingshot and while half way competent I wouldnt rely on it for game without being very proficient....now that slingshot bow,I see a Christmas gift,great link again.

#253349 - 11/14/12 03:02 PM Re: slingshot a good survival item? [Re: freeballer]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Check this out,40lb draw for arrows,I'll get the quick release from amazon like in the video,boy is Mrs going to love this Christmas morning!

http://www.chiefaj.com/hfx_hunting__fishing_slingshot.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_Gg8XSHmXk

New Model "The Elk Hunter" that has bagged a Moose. New "Comfort tubes" down to the base of the forks to pad Full Fist Grip. Then 40# New real rubber fast snap tubes stamped "chiefaj.com" to the real rubber dipped tubes. Super pouch that shoots arrows and balls or rocks. Matching Wrist brace in boxed set with 12 min "How To" DVD.

10/29/12 Since Chief AJ made the shot on a Moose with this "Elk Hunter" model He mostley builts us these. Made in the USA $82.50

ARROW OF DELIVERANCE: Special arrows for the HFX slingshot proven on small and large Game:28", setback fletching, takes all screw in points, Light wt carbon 258grains, Set of 3, $40.00 post paid to your door in the USA. Order here on line now:
Phone orders: (217) 253-2959 vis mc, dic

#253356 - 11/14/12 04:56 PM Re: slingshot a good survival item? [Re: freeballer]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
I keep meaning to pick up a slingshot from this guy: A+ Slingshots. He also sells lead ammo that is intended for hunting.

However, as others have said, I think a lot of practice would be required to consider it a viable survival tool. That said, it is relatively light & compact which in my mind makes which makes it a great choice for this if you can pair it with skill.

It depends on where you live too. In discussions like this someone often points out that a .22 pistol is a better choice for the weight & size and they'd be 100% correct. However, for those of us in Canada, that simply isn't an option. Heck, in a lot of the wilderness areas I frequent, firearms of any type are prohibited. So, for us, I think the slingshot has definite merit as a survival tool.

That said, if I were to get serious about wanting to catch small game in a survival situation, I'd want to also develop my skill with various trapping techniques.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.