Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#255820 - 01/24/13 09:59 PM Re: Notes from Sandy [Re: LesSnyder]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
JohnPatrick... a comment.. most recommend that you not use actual milk jugs to store water as there is a potential for contamination.. of course some bleach could be used if they were the only storage source...

for those without a generator to keep the refrigerator up... the 5 and 7 day coolers with multiple frozen gallon jugs of water work well...

Why would cleaned milk jugs be any more likely to contaminate any more than a cleaned jug of other vintage?

Milk jugs are designed to degrade when exposed to the elements though, so they are not real good for longer term storage.

Bob

#255823 - 01/24/13 10:33 PM Re: Notes from Sandy [Re: ILBob]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: ILBob
Why would cleaned milk jugs be any more likely to contaminate any more than a cleaned jug of other vintage?

ILBob, check the FEMA preparedness manual I linked to in this post from last month regarding why.

#255851 - 01/25/13 11:20 PM Re: Notes from Sandy [Re: Arney]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Originally Posted By: Arney
Originally Posted By: ILBob

ILBob, check the FEMA preparedness manual I linked to in this post from last month regarding why.

I suppose it is possible. I am more worried that the plastic will deteriorate over time as it is designed to do.

Bob

#256515 - 02/14/13 10:41 PM Re: Notes from Sandy [Re: ILBob]
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Use 2 liter pop bottles for the freezer. Contrary to what might make sense... fill them FULL, then freeze. (Yes, I know that water expands ~9% when it freezes) So far <knock on wood) I have not had any bottles split and none have even fazed the cap - frankly, most don't even noticeably bulge. These bottles are relatively heavy gauge PET and are designed for a modest bit of pressure from the carbonation. This is far superior to milk jugs and the water is potable when the bottle thaws.

We don't drink much pop, but friends save the bottles for us. I do a light rinse with tap water, leave the caps off, and then when I have enough to make it worth my while, I "process" a batch.

Sorta like washing dishes - wash, rinse, sanitize, air dry. Sink with hot water + Dawn, sink with clear water (refreshed as required), one bottle half full of water + plain bleach. As a bottle is washed and rinsed, the sanitizer bottle contents are transferred; shake it up to coat inside of bottle with sanitizer (clean cap kept on counter for that) and set it down. Now-empty sanitizer bottle slung out vigorously and leaned up to air dry. Wash next bottle, etc. I use a pretty hefty mix of bleach-to-water - no harm. Re-rinse with tap water if it bothers you, but... there's no need.

Last are caps and sometimes a dish scrub brush helps in the threads if you were not paying attention when you initially rinsed the bottles. Set out a small plastic container (e.g. margarine tub) and as the caps come out of the rinse water, drop them in. Wait one minute after the last cap is set in, then remove all and set aside to dry. Go slosh the "spent" sanitizer in/around your shower...

In theory the "pressurized" frozen water will have a lowered phase change temperature, but at the pressures we're talking - there's no change, despite internet myth. It still freezes at or around 32 deg F.

These don't freeze frothy - they're like lethal weapons when frozen <grin>. Think bowling pins.

Seriously, ditch milk jugs - nasty - use plastic PET pop bottles instead.

#256518 - 02/14/13 10:57 PM Re: Notes from Sandy [Re: AyersTG]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I get my canteens at the supermaket. They come prefilled with tasty fluids of various colors and a lot pseudo-scientific mumbo jumbo about electrolyte replacement. I drink the colored fluid as needed and refill with whatever potable water is handy ( I want all the electrolytes). They work quite well - cheap, light, and effective.

Ayers, it is good to hear from you again....

Edited by hikermor (02/14/13 10:58 PM)

#256590 - 02/16/13 07:35 PM Re: Notes from Sandy [Re: hikermor]
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
I never "left"... OK, maybe I got distracted for a bit. Grandkids started popping up... I'd say I'm too young for that, but sadly, not true... anyway, it's GREAT to see so many familiar folks still active here!

+1 on the beverages. I'm partial to those 24 oz bottles for tons of uses - inc. water bottles. Work great for breaking down big bags of rice, pinto beans, etc. as well.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 301 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.