Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#253193 - 11/12/12 01:15 AM Re: How do you guys deal with work related stress? [Re: picard120]
Pete Offline
Veteran

picard ... personal is not covered by work.
if they want that - offer it to them as a private service. tell them that you have received a message from the CEO that you can only do work-related requests during work hours. However, you can do personal phones privately on your own time - for a charge.

Pete2

#253195 - 11/12/12 02:15 AM Re: How do you guys deal with work related stress? [Re: M_a_x]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: M_a_x
I let my supervisor deal with it. It΄s his job to assign tasks to me and say no ...

This is the safe and appropriate route. When there are issues like this, it has to go up and down the official food chain. If you try to take a shortcut across the org chart and deal with it directly, you'll alienate all parties involved. (Been there.)

Of course if you're in a small company, things are much less formal. That can make resolution more difficult. But you can still say "let me check my delivery schedule -- okay, I'm full-time on xxx project until next week, and then I can schedule you in." Message delivered, without being confrontational.

I would avoid saying "I don't know" -- it sends the wrong message about the currency of your skills and/or your level of motivation.

It's not necessarily a bad thing for top brass to see you as the go-to guy for their new tech. But if it interferes with your assigned duty schedule, i.e. your real job, that message needs to be delivered.

My 2 cents'.

#253196 - 11/12/12 02:31 AM Re: How do you guys deal with work related stress? [Re: hikermor]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Actually productive work, with competent colleagues whom you respect, will be tremendously rewarding and a huge contributor to your overall wellness.

Just avoid those other kind of work places....

And the award for "Best Deadpan Delivery" goes to ... hikermor. grin

#253234 - 11/12/12 09:17 PM Re: How do you guys deal with work related stress? [Re: Pete]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Pete
picard ... personal is not covered by work.
if they want that - offer it to them as a private service. tell them that you have received a message from the CEO that you can only do work-related requests during work hours. However, you can do personal phones privately on your own time - for a charge.

Pete2

everyone else seems scare of their wits to tell CEO, senior managers about it. They have to cater to CEO children laptop too.

#253253 - 11/13/12 02:57 AM Re: How do you guys deal with work related stress? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
I would avoid saying "I don't know" -- it sends the wrong message about the currency of your skills and/or your level of motivation.

Doug , what you are saying is correct in a professional organization where everyone knows their limits. In this case, CEOs do not know their limits and/or they are not professional in the way they are treating their employees. If a CEO asks me to fix his kid's laptop, and it is getting on my nerves , I would tell him I don't know. He can take it at face value ( that I really don't know) or he can be smart enough to understand that I am fed up with this nonesense. Either way, I don't care. YMMV.

Picard, FWIW, you are not alone in facing such stressful problem. If it makes you feel better, other folks face delimmas like this not at work but at home, and they do not have the option of leaving or even stressing the situation futher. I know some people who have stressful relations with their dads. I also have a friend who had a very bad marraige . I often wonder (how this guy and his wife managed to have kids while they were fighting all the time).

Finallly he had enough and left her. But in most cases , leaving a spouse is harder than quitting a job. I am not saying you quit, but trying to make you see your problem with a less apocalyptic attitude.

#253264 - 11/13/12 05:02 AM Re: How do you guys deal with work related stress? [Re: nursemike]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: nursemike
Originally Posted By: MDinana
I do enjoy shooting, but buying a lot of ammo gets between my wife and I, so that's a hit and miss hobby.

I get the residency I want, it'll change. If not, I may just become a paramedic, make 1/3 the salary, and hopefully be 3x happier.

I am trying to figure out the shooting thing, too-do you think that air rifles, archery, or video game shooters might push the same marksman buttons?

Good luck with the residency-being a doc seemed to be a lot more fun years ago than it is now. Happiest doc I know retired from faculty radiology work and opened up a clinic on st. thomas-no labs, no radiology, limited pharma for folks with no money and no access to health care. he gets paid in fruit and chickens, everybody loves him, no lawyers, no quality improvement studies...he smiles a lot.

Good question. I really like video games but tend to avoid them, mainly because I had them really distract me in college. I actually mentioned trying archery to my wife last month. I liked it in Boy Scouts, and might be easier to do at home in the backyard. I really don't like air rifles, but I started experimenting with .22lr conversions to help manage costs. That has been a bit of fun so far.

Some day when residency is over I'll think about being paid. First things first.

#253267 - 11/13/12 05:12 AM Re: How do you guys deal with work related stress? [Re: picard120]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Not knowing something and admitting it is a sign of strength and maturity. Following up with action demonstrating your willingness and method to get to an answer is all most people need to be put everyone at ease.

Pretending that you know everything is one of the most annoying character traits a person can demonstrate. It also creates unnecessary stress on the self-proclaimed know-it-all.

#253273 - 11/13/12 09:51 AM Re: How do you guys deal with work related stress? [Re: GarlyDog]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

+ 1

And this makes good "training" for more stressful survival situations like when anti-prepping folks show up and need your "help".

Belive me Picard, I have skills that I keep for myself and would NEVER tell the supervisor I can do. He is not mature or professional enough to trust him on that. He has already called me a few times during may vacations to ask me solve problems that have been created by him or were so easily avaoidable.

Sometimes, we need to think iof what WE need, instead of wasting our lives seveing other people's needs.

Having said that , situations are very different. Also, there are so many angles to look at any specific situation. For example, being a prepper, picard can "invest" in these favors he does for the CEOs. Consider them part of a career portfolio. If and when you want a raise or promotion, you may approach these CEOs. Also, if you layoffs on the horizon, you can approcah them for protection. That is one way to look at irt if you choose/prefer to continue the same way.

#253333 - 11/14/12 07:32 AM Re: How do you guys deal with work related stress? [Re: picard120]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Just to lighten it a little ....

Here's something for you picard

http://cubiclebliss.com/10-ways-to-say-no-at-work-with-a-no-button/

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.