The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#252659 - 11/02/12 12:21 AM Re: Hurricane Sandy & Urban Survival [Re: ireckon]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Here is a guy who had some Katrina experiences,some good things in there....Things I hadnt given enough thought to.

http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/2008/08/lessons-learned-from-hurricanes-katrina.html

#252666 - 11/02/12 02:14 AM Re: Hurricane Sandy & Urban Survival [Re: ireckon]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
During survival situations like this, it's important for an American citizen to have the mic that Piers Morgan now has. I personally would not feel comfortable being on national TV constantly complaining about a country of which I am not a citizen. Apparently, Piers Morgan has no problem with it, pretty arrogant. Why doesn't he worry about trying to solve the problems in the country of his citizenship? Or take a more humble tone when you're a guest here. He just complains all the time about America without a sincere attempt to solve anything or help anybody. Why is he even on my TV? Is it his official sounding British accent? Why don't the producers put an American in his spot?

#252668 - 11/02/12 02:37 AM Re: Hurricane Sandy & Urban Survival [Re: ireckon]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
During survival situations like this, it's important for an American citizen to have the mic that Piers Morgan now has. I personally would not feel comfortable being on national TV constantly complaining about a country of which I am not a citizen. Apparently, Piers Morgan has no problem with it, pretty arrogant. Why doesn't he worry about trying to solve the problems in the country of his citizenship? Or take a more humble tone when you're a guest here. He just complains all the time about America without a sincere attempt to solve anything or help anybody. Why is he even on my TV? Is it his official sounding British accent? Why don't the producers put an American in his spot?

Please don't send him back! Could you not just leave him in the middle of the Atlantic in a rowing boat along with that other fellow Quest. wink

#252672 - 11/02/12 03:07 AM Re: Hurricane Sandy & Urban Survival [Re: ireckon]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: ireckon
I decided to start a thread in this room because I didn't see one. Many of the threads in this urban survival room discuss urban survival in theory. Well, here we have an actual example in real life. This photo from the streets of NYC after Hurricane Sandy says so many things about urban survival without uttering a word.

That right there once again confirms my plan to barter electrons makes sense.
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#252681 - 11/02/12 09:01 AM Re: Hurricane Sandy & Urban Survival [Re: ireckon]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Regarding generators for hospitals and other critical facilities, placing these at high level rather than in a basement is clearly more sensible in case of flooding, but is by no means a cure all.
My work involves the servicing and testing of generators, and assisting in enquiries after they have failed to function.

IME, generators in large buildings seldom work as intended/as expected. The most common problems seem to be be

Defective or discharged starter batteries.
Lack of ventilation resulting in overheating.
Generator starts but soon stops or breaks due to overloading.
Engine starts but no power supplied to building due to defective, mis-applied, or mis-understood changeover switchgear.
Runs out of fuel, the tank being sized for only a few hours operation, and then not even kept full.
Runs out of lubricating oil, no one having realised that that this needs topping up on a long run.
Or finaly, it all works fine, but someone in charge sends everyone home because they feel that for example powering only 25% of the lighting is unsafe.

My experiences are in the UK, but I suspect that circumstances are broadly similar elswhere.

#252683 - 11/02/12 10:09 AM Re: Hurricane Sandy & Urban Survival [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: James_Van_Artsdalen
[quote=MDinana]
Quote:

As for the Comfort, don't count on it. It's big, unmanned, and a converted oil tanker, with only space for 1 helo.

.. and 1,000 beds, a dozen operating rooms, equipment & stores kept ready for deployment and a staff/crew that is supposedly kept on 5-day call-up status.

I don't know where it is, or if the crew was recalled.

And I bet Comfort is *far* cheaper to keep in NYC than whatever combination of warships they're sending.

Not to get into too big a pissing match.

The Comfort is actually operated by civilians (Military Sealift Command); the medical aspect is staffed by (mainly) military - sometimes there are civilians that come along. So, at least regarding cost, there are some other factors there.

The military ships you at least have all the people already on them, as opposed to calling them up and draining other resources. Pull on a couple of Fleet Surgical Teams to augment, and away you go.

The way the Comfort (and I assume the Mercy) operate is much more a surgical/acute care business. Very few of those patients get kept more than a few days. It is NOT staffed for long term care, though obviously this can be augmented. Last I heard it was in Baltimore, so the staff would have to get there before going underway. Wikipedia lists 1000 beds, which includes OR and ICU beds.

The LHA's, also, have potentially thousands of beds. Their job is to transport 2000 Marines around the world - basically a floating hotel/air wing. They have several OR's, an ICU, a helo deck AND a well deck (so hovercraft, aka LCAC's, can be used to transport). They're overall much newer than the Comfort. In many respects, a converted old LHA or LHD should replace the Comfort and Mercy.

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/usnscomfort/Pages/default.aspx

http://www.wasp.navy.mil/

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2012/10/navy-3-ships-sandy-hurricane-103112w/

Now, that being said, from a P.R. point of view, a bit white ship with a red cross looks better than three haze-gray's.

#252684 - 11/02/12 10:30 AM Re: Hurricane Sandy & Urban Survival [Re: ireckon]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: ireckon

Exactly. Why don't they replace him with another mindless hot chick like all the announcers on CNN and Fox? grin
Honestly, I think Piers is payback for exporting the Kardashians and Jersey Shore to the rest of the world.

#252690 - 11/02/12 02:24 PM Re: Hurricane Sandy & Urban Survival [Re: ireckon]
Meadowlark Offline

Loc: Northern Colorado

Video of lower Manhattan last night:
(From the NYT)

http://www.news24.com/Multimedia/World/NY-still-in-darkness-20121102

So glad I don't live in a high rise building with non-working elevators...
My knapsack on my back

Current kits: http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=241840

#252692 - 11/02/12 03:10 PM Re: Hurricane Sandy & Urban Survival [Re: technician]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Originally Posted By: technician
What about voting Tuesday?

given the voting pattern in NYS, it probably won't make much difference in who the state's electoral votes go to.

But, God works in mysterious ways.

Bob

#252702 - 11/02/12 04:59 PM Re: Hurricane Sandy & Urban Survival [Re: ireckon]
Meadowlark Offline

Loc: Northern Colorado

In addition to the lines for gas in NYC, there is also a line for...the latest iPad.

http://www.fastcompany.com/3002668/manha...source=facebook
My knapsack on my back

Current kits: http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=241840

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 477 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.