Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#252593 - 11/01/12 05:50 AM Re: Hurricane Sandy & Urban Survival [Re: ireckon]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Teslinhiker, can you indicate the location? Thanks

#252603 - 11/01/12 12:54 PM Re: Hurricane Sandy & Urban Survival [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: James_Van_Artsdalen
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

There are even now reports of more Hospitals such as Bellevue Hospital Centre being evacuated within New York, which were previously using backup generators, which would suggest a lack of fuel which is unable to make its way into the city, although the news report is suggesting ongoing flooding where the generators are located in the hospital basement.

Bingo. Every hurricane I can remember there have been hospitals that had generators in the basement, and every time everyone clucks at how dumb that was, and with the next hurricane it happens again. The operating license system may have to be changed to stop this.

Quote:

I don't want to yet compare this to a Katrina New Orleans type situation

It's not anywhere close to that.

Originally Posted By: Jolt

Not to mention, where are they going to find beds for all those patients?

USNS Comfort

News reports indicate that NYU had their generators on the roof, and they evacuated at least one day before Bellvue. So location doesn't matter that much.

In addition to sewage in the flood waters, don't forget that wildlife gets swept inshore w/ the current. Can you imagine trudging to the gas station and a shark or jellyfish brushes past you?

Re: voting. Can't be changed w/o Congress passing a new law, which we know probably won't happen. However, apprarently there's some flexibility in how soon the state has to appoint their electoral college voters. I doubt it's going to ultimately matter as much as we think. A lot of people will have to go to new voter locations, but I have a feeling there's still going to be paper ballots available. Maybe, just maybe, the news channels won't tell everyone that the election is won/lost by 6pm that day.

As for the Comfort, don't count on it. It's big, unmanned, and a converted oil tanker, with only space for 1 helo. The Navy is sending 3 LHA/LHD's right now - they have room for possibly hundreds to thousands of patients, have a (small) medical staff that can be augmented quickly, and the top deck IS the landing pad.

#252611 - 11/01/12 03:39 PM Re: Hurricane Sandy & Urban Survival [Re: MDinana]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I've been in the medical area of an LHA; it's big, right below the flight deck, and designed for both daily sick call and combat medicine. Three of those will be nowhere close to the capacity of a major city hospital, but it does give you three ER's, three great flight decks which can greatly facilitate moving patients to other facilities, and three bases for logistics while Mayor Bloomberg's staff figures out what to do next. Did I mention that they have outstanding communications capability?

I see these three big decks being used as logistics bases to get NYC's critical infrastructure back in order. Reliable communications, electricity, fuel, and air, sea and land logistics. Besides the flight deck, they have a floodable well deck for boats to move items like trucks.

It will be interesting to see how they are used.

#252614 - 11/01/12 04:15 PM Re: Hurricane Sandy & Urban Survival [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Bingo. Every hurricane I can remember there have been hospitals that had generators in the basement, and every time everyone clucks at how dumb that was, and with the next hurricane it happens again. The operating license system may have to be changed to stop this.

Thankfully my local hospital doesn't have to rely on backup generators, it has its own power station house, which apparently took over 10 years to construct before the main hospital was built. wink

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (11/01/12 05:05 PM)

#252622 - 11/01/12 05:11 PM Re: Hurricane Sandy & Urban Survival [Re: ireckon]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Ironically, this hurricane may bring out more voters. It's like when you tell somebody they can't do something, often the person who would otherwise sit on the couch gets pissed and wants to do it more than ever. However, I can imagine a situation where people who are ill or disabled have an unusually difficult time getting to the polls. We'll see. Anyway, I voted over a week ago through the mail. I will be voting absentee forever.

#252633 - 11/01/12 07:08 PM Re: Hurricane Sandy & Urban Survival [Re: MDinana]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: MDinana

News reports indicate that NYU had their generators on the roof, and they evacuated at least one day before Bellvue. So location doesn't matter that much.

When the plan isn't tested anything can go wrong. A hospital near Clear Lake City TX was carefully constructed with ER and surgery etc on the 2nd floor, with nothing needed for emergency operations below. And with the first tropical storm they learned that the elevators all had their control boxes in the basement and underwater.

Quote:

As for the Comfort, don't count on it. It's big, unmanned, and a converted oil tanker, with only space for 1 helo.

.. and 1,000 beds, a dozen operating rooms, equipment & stores kept ready for deployment and a staff/crew that is supposedly kept on 5-day call-up status.

I don't know where it is, or if the crew was recalled.

And I bet Comfort is *far* cheaper to keep in NYC than whatever combination of warships they're sending.

#252644 - 11/01/12 08:56 PM Re: Hurricane Sandy & Urban Survival [Re: ireckon]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: ireckon
Teslinhiker, can you indicate the location? Thanks

New Jersey and New York.

John Lubbock

#252646 - 11/01/12 09:16 PM Re: Hurricane Sandy & Urban Survival [Re: ireckon]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
" Every hurricane I can remember there have been hospitals that had generators in the basement, and every time everyone clucks at how dumb that was"
When I entered Clinical Perfusion school at Texas Heart Institute in 1984 (learning to operate the heart-lung bypass pump for open-heart surgery), the program director told us a story how, in 1961, he was participating in an emergency open heart procedure during Hurricane Carla. When the power failed the emergency generators in the basement started. when the basement filled with rain the generators failed and he finished the case using a little hand crank to keep the patient perfused and alive. This is not a new situation.

#252647 - 11/01/12 09:19 PM Re: Hurricane Sandy & Urban Survival [Re: JPickett]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
One thing the LHA/LHD ships have is reliable power.

#252657 - 11/02/12 12:02 AM Re: Hurricane Sandy & Urban Survival [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Originally Posted By: James_Van_Artsdalen
[quote=Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
There are even now reports of more Hospitals such as Bellevue Hospital Centre being evacuated within New York, which were previously using backup generators, which would suggest a lack of fuel which is unable to make its way into the city, although the news report is suggesting ongoing flooding where the generators are located in the hospital basement.
=================================

Piers Morgan was ranting on and on about the hospital losing power,comparing it to The JPMORGAN building (was that the one?) that had blazing lights.

Its one thing to keep lights on there,try powering a hospital,and not all hospital circuits are powered by backup,only the red plugs.

Finally,hosps are on life support as far as money goes,JPM is not,by a long shot. They dont have the money to upgrade infrastructure,much as a lot of the Country has infrastructure repairs needed but no money.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 182 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.