Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#252786 - 11/03/12 08:10 PM Re: How do you guys deal with work related stress? [Re: picard120]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
retirement after 28 years of teaching 9th grade Integrated Science (14-15 year olds)and Chem I
competitive shooting for 30 years... USPSA and 3 gun
started riding motorcycle again (2003) after a 30 year hiatus
bicycle 45min/day morning
1/2 hour walk in evening
now eligible for Silver Sneakers at the YMCA

Edited by LesSnyder (11/03/12 09:56 PM)

#252787 - 11/03/12 08:15 PM Re: How do you guys deal with work related stress? [Re: picard120]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: picard120
work stress me out because I have to kiss everyone rear. They treat me like a scapegoat for anything that go wrong.

Maybe itīs appropriate to do less kissing and exploit the scapegoat part. After all it greatly improves efficiency when everybody can get on with their work instead of investigating who actually fouled up.

Originally Posted By: picard120
I don't have time to focus on my skills instead I have to watch my back all the time.

That is a dangerous path to walk. It is prone to increase the number of mistakes you make and it going to leave you with skills that are no longer up to par. Maybe you should think about shifting that focus back to your skills.

#252790 - 11/03/12 09:14 PM Re: How do you guys deal with work related stress? [Re: picard120]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
1.) What happens at work, stays at work. I do not take unfinished tasks home - neither physically nor in my mind.
2.) At work I keep silent unless I really know better. I never refer to the times when I knew better and told so - people will remember anyway.
3.) I have a ritual for arriving at home. I take the time to cook a proper meal. It helps to follow rule 1.
4.) I have a couple of fun activities. Some of them involve social activities. E. g. I learned to perform magic tricks. Practicing takes focus from work stress. The skills brought me invitations to parties I would normally not have attended before.
5.)I have a few projects. Making my own yogurt, keeping sourdough for making bread (makes mighty good pancakes too), brewing mead, making pralines (that one tends to give stress to girl friends)
6.) Enjoy my life.

I also ride motorcycle. I do not do it against stress though. For some strange reason none of the motorcyclists I know, have stress problems for extended periods of time. It seems to be a personality feature of the bikers.

#252819 - 11/04/12 01:39 AM Re: How do you guys deal with work related stress? [Re: picard120]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Our company just exited Bankruptcy after 2.5 years,talk about stress and turmoil.

Our plan was avoidance, stay off the radar,keep mouth shut,anything the countless management teams that floated thru said,DO IT.RAH!,no matter what you think,smile and do it.

Yes,stressed people do look for targets,or to settle old scores.

We took every call off possible to be out of sight,out of mind,out of the stressing situations that flip out people....worked so far.

We tried to avoid being Hal.Yup,Im still gonna stress a good bit til it runs smoothly again.

Home today,took the call off.

#252970 - 11/06/12 04:56 PM Re: How do you guys deal with work related stress? [Re: picard120]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Everyone of us is different. Every work situation is different. What may have worked for me , may not work for you.

FWIW, I am near retirement, have a nice big boss with a couple idiot middle managers. I stay calm despite their continuous (almost daily) flow of ridiculous decisions. Main reason for my calm is : I want to retire and leave the building on my feet, not on a stretcher. The way I see it is that if my views and suggestions haven't been taken the last few decades, they won;t be heard now. And if things have not been fixed the last 35 years or so, it is waste of time to try anything now.

So, in a way, I am psychologically retired already.

#252971 - 11/06/12 05:53 PM Re: How do you guys deal with work related stress? [Re: Chisel]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I mutter a lot of unprintable things under my breath. I complain to my wife. Sometimes I rage on Facebook. I get mood swings.

Exercise doesn't do much of that "endorphin rush" for me. I do enjoy shooting, but buying a lot of ammo gets between my wife and I, so that's a hit and miss hobby. I'd love to just take more time OFF from work, but that's not happening.

Mainly I think I'm just in the wrong position - I don't enjoy the job I currently am assigned to. Hopefully when/if I get the residency I want, it'll change. If not, I may just become a paramedic, make 1/3 the salary, and hopefully be 3x happier.

#252975 - 11/06/12 06:44 PM Re: How do you guys deal with work related stress? [Re: picard120]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
The primary thing for me is being in the right role & working for the right people. Stress is pretty low when you are doing something you do very well & tend to enjoy with people who support you.

That's not to say low stress equates to only doing easy things. I work for a consulting company so there is a lot of change involved as I shift from client site to client site; some projects have tight & sometimes unrealistic deadlines requiring extra hours and more intense effort, while other projects can introduce more soft, people related issues. But at the end of the day I am confident I can do the work required and have people within my own company who have my back if there is anything I can't handle.

And, for me, an aspect of this also does come down to the issue of confidence. I used to get a little stressed when starting on a new project with a new client due to the amount of unknowns involved. However, I've learned to relax about this; understanding that my track record has proven that I have the skills necessary to be effective and successful when I hit the ground even without knowing what exactly will be involved.

#252979 - 11/06/12 07:53 PM Re: How do you guys deal with work related stress? [Re: picard120]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
I read. A lot. I know it's escapism, but at the moment it's the only outlet that can be done regardless of schedule and not requiring both hands. Besides, it keeps me awake during the dark 0'clock in the morning feedings. Most of my exercise involves yardwork.

I still do fancywork (knotwork), but I've had to take a temporary hiatus from my other hobbies (archery, trombone).

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#253009 - 11/07/12 05:07 PM Re: How do you guys deal with work related stress? [Re: M_a_x]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: M_a_x
What happens at work, stays at work.

I was thinking more about this and disagree with it as a rule, but I agree with the general principle I think it is getting at - balance is key & you can't let your work life take over your personal life.

For me, this balance is a 2 way street. I like the flexibility of being able to get work done during "home hours" but I balance that with the flexibility of being able to personal things done during "work hours." I think this also helps keep stress levels in check. For example, if I need to knock off early to deal with a personal issue, I don't worry that I'm not getting my hours; I know it will balance out when I need to get some extra work done at home. The goal is to not neglect any aspect of my life, personal or professional, at the expense of the other.

This allows me to tend to my family's needs in a hands-on way by doing things like attending doctor's appointments and teacher meetings that crop up during the day. Frankly, if I didn't have the opportunity to take work home with me I wouldn't be able to support my family in these ways which could end up negatively affecting the personal aspects of my life and I think staying low-stress is something that has to be holistic, not compartmentalized.

Speaking of not compartmentalizing life, one thing I omitted earlier was the aspect of spiritual health. A robust faith can aid greatly in dealing with stressful situations. Having gone through things like children's health problems (chronic health issues, surgery, hospitalizations, etc.), the trust I have provides a great measure of assurance and peace that brought me through those situations strong and relatively stress free.

#253011 - 11/07/12 05:35 PM Re: How do you guys deal with work related stress? [Re: picard120]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
How do you guys deal with work related stress?

Avoid stupid people. This can be a difficult one to achieve.

Don't spend too much time at work. I work 20hrs a week.

Don't get involved in the business Gossip and the Politics.

I also walk the 3 miles each way to work (avoids the stress of parking, public transport, traffic lights, other drivers etc) and will usually have a dog or cat come up to me to say hello on the way. The rustling trees and birdsong on my walk is quite relaxing even after a Hurricane force Storm whistle

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (11/07/12 05:35 PM)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.