Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#253061 - 11/08/12 07:25 PM Re: Re-thinking wound care [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Pete Offline
Veteran

thanks. I don't think any of us like to really contemplate wounds of that severity. but it seems like they've done a good job with the design of the CAT tourniquet. I'll buy one and throw it into my med kit :-)

Pete2

#253081 - 11/09/12 07:08 AM Re: Re-thinking wound care [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
MarkO Offline

Loc: Oregon
Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
Originally Posted By: Pete
Can you explain that a bit more. CAT tourniquet??

Sorry Pete, I lapsed into jargon-speak!

Here ya go:

CAT home page

at North American Rescue

They're the ones they had at our class.

#253102 - 11/09/12 07:18 PM Re: Re-thinking wound care [Re: Pete]
bigmbogo Offline
Journeyman

My thought (and I'm obviously no expert since I posted the original question!) is that any wound that is bleeding that profusely has already flushed itself out with it's own blood. My instincts tell me not to get too fancy fooling around with it, but just stop the bleeding.

FWIW,

David

here's one thing ... and I want to get the opinion especially of the paramedics on this forum.

for a case of serious (or critical) bledding from an extremity I am considering the following technique.

1. While one person gets gear ready (bandages, celox dressings, water for irrigation), a second person applies immediate pressure at the site of the wound.

2. when ready to go, someone takes a piece of surgical tubing and wraps it around the uppermost part of the extremity with some tightness. not enough to be a tourniqet, but enough to reduce blood pressure in the extremity.

3. with blood flow temporarily reduced ... wound is uncovered, irrigated to clean out foreign matter, new bandages applied, pressure applied again on new banadages. goal of this step - 60 secs maximum time.

4. surgical tubing is removed and pressure is maintained on the wound site.

the idea of this technique is to temporarily reduce blood flow to allow quick cleaning and better application of proper bandages. the aim is to be smooth and fast, so blood pressure to the extremity is only reduced for a short time.

and by the way, you could essentially do the same thing if you used a blood pressure cuff on the extremity (and pumped it up) to reduce blood flow. just don't pump it to the point where it gets to systolic pressure - allow some blood to keep flowing.

thoughts??

Pete2

#253117 - 11/10/12 12:16 AM Re: Re-thinking wound care [Re: Pete]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
thanks. I don't think any of us like to really contemplate wounds of that severity. but it seems like they've done a good job with the design of the CAT tourniquet. I'll buy one and throw it into my med kit :-)

Pete2

Do not buy a tourniquet until you have been trained in when and how to use it.

#253149 - 11/10/12 07:00 PM Re: Re-thinking wound care [Re: NightHiker]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
QuikClot has been reformulated to minimize the heat created during the clotting process (they swithced from zeolite to kaolin)

Just for completeness, there are still second-generation zeolite-based QuikClot products that you may find out there, such as QuikClot ACS+, QuikClot 1st Response, QuikClot Sport, and QuikClot Sport Silver. I don't recall ever hearing of any heat issues with second-gen QuikClot products.

Products like QuikClot Combat Gauze and QuikClot Emergency Dressing are the newest kaolin-based products.

#253174 - 11/11/12 04:35 PM Re: Re-thinking wound care [Re: bigmbogo]
Pete Offline
Veteran

somewhat surprising results. tests of new wound care gauzes on actual femoral bleeding show no big improvement.

http://tacmed.tumblr.com/post/12327052888/standard-gauze-versus-haemostatic-agents

interesting study. don't know if this carries over to all possible wounds.

Pete2

#253540 - 11/19/12 02:11 AM Re: Re-thinking wound care [Re: bigmbogo]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
I'm not saying they don't have a role....I have had countless very traumatic injuries.... all controllable. Yes I am aware of recent combat applications and the great outcomes. Just saying I've never needed or seen one used. That said....I still keep it in my mind.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (brandtb), 240 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.