Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#252874 - 11/04/12 11:23 PM Re: Alternate Power Concepts [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
A well thought out kit for alternative electrical power.

A hand crank might also be useful to power a cell phone when all else has given up its last electrons. wink

I have thought about a hand crank solution, however I would think that with no power for an extended period of time, my hands would be full (no pun intended) enough with other things that need attention and would not have the time required to also hand crank our own power for whatever needs.

For the 2 cell phones (same brand/model) we have, I have ordered 2 spare batteries and a standalone charger which should take care of any future phone battery concerns.

John Lubbock

#252878 - 11/05/12 04:58 AM Re: Alternate Power Concepts [Re: ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Fie on hand cranks! I am a hard core cyclist and I have a stationary cycle for those times when there is bad weather or something in my schedule that prevents a bike ride. I hope on the seat and crank away. I have long thought that I might as well be charging some sort of battery while I am keeping fit. Anyone have any notions about some kind of conversion kit for a stationary bike? Seems like a no-brainer......

#252883 - 11/05/12 01:25 PM Re: Alternate Power Concepts [Re: Teslinhiker]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
hikermor...you could DIY rig something like this from an auto alternator with a friction wheel, storage battery and inverter...this gizmo claims 300W for an experienced cyclist

http://www.econvergence.net/The-Pedal-A-Watt-Bicycle-Generator-Stand-s/1820.htm

#252884 - 11/05/12 01:51 PM Re: Alternate Power Concepts [Re: LesSnyder]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Les, thanks for the lead - looks promising!

#252885 - 11/05/12 04:05 PM Re: Alternate Power Concepts [Re: Teslinhiker]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

You can take any dc motor and couple it to a spinning wheel to generate electricity. If you had the right motor and gearing then you could generate the proper voltage without having to go through inefficient voltage conversions.

I am surprised at the claim of 125-300 watts from the pedal a watt. I've heard numbers around 100 watts for a normal person. Remembering how much the old flip down bike generator lights slowed me down when i was younger, I think now I'd be lucky if I could power the tv remote with my bike, let alone the tv.

#252886 - 11/05/12 04:11 PM Re: Alternate Power Concepts [Re: Teslinhiker]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Alternator? No, no, far too inefficient. Think generator -- a DC motor with permanent magnets. Apply juice and you get torque; apply torque and you get juice, even at very low speeds.

And ideally, you should also have a gear or pulley setup to increase the speed to the generator and absorb all the weird directional forces that might cause premature wear.

And even more ideally, if you could find a common, mass-produced source for such items, designed to run in the 12-18 volt range, and often available for free when the batteries konk out, you'd really be in the sweet zone.

And if you said "hey, that sounds like a cordless drill," give yourself a gold star. cool

#252893 - 11/05/12 05:11 PM Re: Alternate Power Concepts [Re: Teslinhiker]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
dougwalkabout... ok...bearing blocks on each end of a 3/8" shaft, friction wheel in middle, enough clearance to attach the shaft to the drill chuck...alignment bracket to support rear wheel of bike.....I think you have given me something to play with for a week or two... thanks, hadn't thought of it, though others have mentioned using a drill to energize a generator's field windings...

Edited by LesSnyder (11/05/12 05:18 PM)

#252894 - 11/05/12 05:17 PM Re: Alternate Power Concepts [Re: LesSnyder]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Take a look on Youtube with the search terms "bicycle generator". There are a few slick ideas and some right down to redneck level. Many utilize a treadmill DC motor as they are more effecient but there are some using an alternator with good results also.

John Lubbock

#252918 - 11/05/12 10:31 PM Re: Alternate Power Concepts [Re: Blast]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Originally Posted By: Blast
700amp battery? SWEEEET!!!!
-Blast, jealous.

That's in fact cranking amps rating, not Amp/hours as you might be thinking. So, it's not that impressive, as some trucks may need 900 Amps for jump starting. As for the capacity, I have found that it's never posted for the cranking batteries like that at all. Including the manufacturer web sites. I doubt it's more than 40 A/h

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.