Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#252817 - 11/04/12 12:44 AM Re: Alternate Power Concepts [Re: Teslinhiker]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Did you go AGM on that battery?

Seen handtruck setups,very cool.

Speaking of battery packs I use this,129 at amazon,it started a diesel cummins TWICE,thats pretty dang good,love those things,got it after a dead battery episode in Jetta,the original start great/dead battery car when it failed. So if your car has the small battery/large electronic load and you cant get a larger battery,thing is awesome.Holds a charge for many months too.

When purchased in 2009 was the most powerful I could find at the time.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JFJLP6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Clore Automotive JNC660 Jump-N-Carry 1,700 Peak Amp 12-Volt Jump Starter

Price: $129.50 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver

In Stock.

#252818 - 11/04/12 12:53 AM Re: Alternate Power Concepts [Re: Teslinhiker]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Tes's system is awesome.Also the advice on string lights very good.

I could go on and on about inverters/batteries but wont.

All that does is muddy the water and make easy sound very complicated.

A goal zero is a GREAT start for anybody.Just that will blow your mind first time you solar charge a battery or whatever.

The important thing is just do it,then when you have it go for upgrades as your confidence increases.... which will soar after youve started,its very infectious.

Just love that stuff.

Again,well done!

#252834 - 11/04/12 11:40 AM Re: Alternate Power Concepts [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
@Izzy
The power pack was purchased at Canadian Tire which is a national auto parts / sporting goods / home improvement type of store. I know they are not in the USA however I am sure that there are other brands available down there. Stanley tools makes a couple of which they sell up here as both Stanley branded and also as the Canadian Tire Eliminator brand. As for this particular model, I am not sure who makes it but Doug is probably right.

Thank you. I can actually buy that very same model from the Canadian Tire website. Which I might do. Despite having a generator that I can literally plug into my home, I do feel there is a bit of a gap in my "energy plan." Whichever model or make I find for my sister and her husband I might also pick one up for myself.

That gap in time I hope to fill with a battery pack, RV solar cell and an an inverter. Our local Wal-Mart has a nice selection of RV and Boat 12 volt products that I often see as being easily adaptable to what I have in mind.

Thanks guys. We've added one to our shopping list. Sandy was a just a little bump here, but with a nor'easter about to arrive (we're already below freezing here) and what looks to be a wintery winter on the horizon, we're not going to wait for Christmas shopping time for this one.

Sandy was a good wake up call in this house. The only part of our preps that I think we failed on was heat. (ok, we're not ready for a flood either, but given our location, a weather related flood is highly unlikely.) If we had lost power and it had gotten cold like they were predicting... I'm a little overly protective of the nest and brod these days, but we've gotten a little complacent the last few years.

Edited by bacpacjac (11/04/12 11:45 AM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#252839 - 11/04/12 12:07 PM Re: Alternate Power Concepts [Re: Teslinhiker]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Jackie... if you are looking at a kero heater, this site was helpful...

http://www.milesstair.com/

#252840 - 11/04/12 12:21 PM Re: Alternate Power Concepts [Re: LesSnyder]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
Jackie... if you are looking at a kero heater, this site was helpful...

http://www.milesstair.com/

Thanks so much Les. We had a look at the propane heater we bought in the summer and think that of it's not older than God, it's probably a turn of the century model, so we're not going to trust it. Donating it to our Scout group, who is awesome at fixing up such relics, and going on a hunt for something we can actually use in the house. This looks like it's right up our alley. Thanks!

#252853 - 11/04/12 05:42 PM Re: Alternate Power Concepts [Re: Teslinhiker]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i was just working my way down today's posts and i see that a kero heater is also mentioned as a heat source for a winter power loss.
once again not a bad idea but i think i would need two,one in the basement to keep the pipes from freezing and another in the "warm room" where we would live and sleep until the power came up.
again it's the storage of kerosene and i assume i would need lots of it and just not couple of the five gallon plastic jugs i see in the big box hardware stores.

#252859 - 11/04/12 08:02 PM Re: Alternate Power Concepts [Re: Teslinhiker]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Forgot to mention yesterday that we have 1/2 dozen of these solar garden lights. These cost $2.99 each in a mid summer sale.

The lights come with a cheap rechargeable 400 mah NI-Cad battery which don't last very long so I immediately replaced with Eneloops. I am not sure how much the batteries get charged but from preliminary testing in August, I found that with a low battery, a full day of sun would allow the light to work for about 2 days. A fully charged Eneloop fresh from a charger will allow the light to have about a 3 day+ run time before it is too weak to give off any decent illumination.

These lights are perfect for hallways, bedrooms, bathrooms etc. They don't give a lot of light but certainly enough to allow you see, especially in bathrooms that do not have any windows such as this one and fits perfectly in the towel rack.

John Lubbock

#252861 - 11/04/12 08:15 PM Re: Alternate Power Concepts [Re: Teslinhiker]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Very cool idea, Teslinhiker. I guess because they're solar, I never thought of them for indoor use.'It never even dawned on me that they's have a battery in them. Thanks for the education!

#252862 - 11/04/12 08:24 PM Re: Alternate Power Concepts [Re: ]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
one in the basement to keep the pipes from freezing and another in the "warm room" where we would live and sleep until the power came up.

I would imagine they have special pipe warmers that could run off a battery in a winter outage type situation. Or worst case scenario you have to run a heat lamp (We use those down here to keep wells warm in winter) off a AC/DV inverter off a car battery or something.

Not terribly practical, I'm afraid. Heat tracing and heat lamps suck a lot of juice -- too much to run off a battery or car inverter system for more than a couple of hours.

In that situation, I would rapidly be doing a gravity draindown of the house potable water system, followed by a blowdown with an air compressor, and then RV antifreeze in all the water traps (sink, toilet). That's SOP for winterizing seasonal cabins and RVs up here. I keep a few jugs of RV antifreeze around at all times for exactly this reason.

#252865 - 11/04/12 09:36 PM Re: Alternate Power Concepts [Re: Teslinhiker]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A well thought out kit for alternative electrical power.

A hand crank might also be useful to power a cell phone when all else has given up its last electrons. wink

i.e. such as the Freeplay Energy - Freecharge (12v charger)

It will give out about 6-10W - I have even powered a 6W LED Lamp through a 75W inverter with one, along with Mobile Phones, radios etc. Making a phone call on a cell phone just require someone else to keep turning the crank.

The portable power products from Powertraveller are also quite handy.

I have also come across a small scale (240 Whrs) LiFePo4 battery solar charge regulator which has recently interested me as well.

http://www.batteryspace.com/lifepo4battery12v20ah240whwithcontrollerforsolarpowerstorage.aspx

This has certain advantages over SLA batteries, i.e. can be fully discharged not just to 50% capacity without damage and greater number of charge/discharge cycles i.e up to 5 times more.

The 3Kg weight would make it into the luggable weight range.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (11/04/12 10:59 PM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 395 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.