Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
#212212 - 12/02/10 07:23 PM Re: Winter Car Kits [Re: Frisket]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Why I live in the South now.

I add nothing, as the chances of being in a blizzard are nil. Forecast calls for snow, they close everything anyhow, so you can't go anywhere or do anything.

I have an emergency repair kit, some basic items and a first aid kit. I can start a fire, make a shelter and eat and drink.

Cold to these people is 30 degrees.

#212256 - 12/03/10 12:02 AM Re: Winter Car Kits [Re: Frisket]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

All that equipment sounds like you're [sp] driving to the north pole and are planning on homesteading if you have a problem. Any kits that don't weigh a thousand pounds, force you to take out the back seat, drag a trailer and/or take out a second mortgage to buy?

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Art_in_FL (12/03/10 02:57 AM)

#212258 - 12/03/10 12:36 AM Re: Winter Car Kits [Re: Dagny]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
Originally Posted By: Dagny
Originally Posted By: ponder
I see nothing to eliminate the SEARCH out of "SEARCH & RESCUE".

Seems to me that in regard to the car, eliminating the need for "Search" rests mostly with the computer on my shoulders that God provided.

Maybe you're stranded and no one knows.

Ask your computer what it will take to get me to come RESCUE you.
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#212259 - 12/03/10 12:38 AM Re: Winter Car Kits [Re: ponder]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: Dagny
I see nothing to eliminate the SEARCH out of "SEARCH & RESCUE".

Seems to me that in regard to the car, eliminating the need for "Search" rests mostly with the computer on my shoulders that God provided.

Maybe you're stranded and no one knows.

Ask your computer what it will take to get me to come RESCUE you.

Why don't you enlighten us on what gear you think we should be carrying in our cars to address your point?

Your initial post was cryptic and snark isn't helpful.

#212265 - 12/03/10 01:16 AM Re: Winter Car Kits [Re: Art_in_FL]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
All that equipment sounds like your driving to the north pole and are planning on homesteading if you have a problem. Any kits that don't weigh a thousand pounds, force you to take out the back seat, drag a trailer and/or take out a second mortgage to buy?

It undoubtedly depends on where one lives. I carry a lot of warm clothing and emergency supplies during the winter here in the PNW, I would estimate close to what Dagny has listed. Recently we had snow and ice and people were stranded for 12 hours on I-5 and if the snow had continued it could have been longer. I want to be reasonably comfortable as well if stranded. And then in my neck of the woods earth quakes are another reason to have supplies in the vehicle.

#212275 - 12/03/10 02:27 AM Re: Winter Car Kits [Re: rebwa]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
It's really pretty simple. Keep a good selection of your backpacking/camping gear tucked away in the vehicle, such that you have the ability to eat and sleep when stranded. Most of my second string stuff winds up in the vehicles, along with a decent supply of canned goods and a few gallons of water, and also a pair of good walking shoes.

One thing I didn't see on the lists is a small swedish saw. One can come in very handy when fallen trees have blocked the roadway.

And yes, location matters. I carried a lot more when living in Flagstaff, AZ than I require here in southern California. I don't imagine you would require too much gear in the sunny Florida climes.

#212290 - 12/03/10 12:35 PM Re: Winter Car Kits [Re: Art_in_FL]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
All that equipment sounds like you're [sp] driving to the north pole and are planning on homesteading if you have a problem. Any kits that don't weigh a thousand pounds, force you to take out the back seat, drag a trailer and/or take out a second mortgage to buy?

Edited for spelling.

In Florida perhaps you could survive with a Speedo, sunscreen, bug spray and bottled water.

I recommend storing it all in a zip-lock bag, and including a garbage bag in case the wind comes up or you encounter an impressionable Girl Scout troop.

You should also have in your kit a knife to slay the reptiles. And a cheap prybar.

The cost should be minimal and you could still curl up on your backseat.

#212291 - 12/03/10 01:03 PM Re: Winter Car Kits [Re: Dagny]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
In the interests of leading this thread a bit astray, let me point out that winter weather is not a big problem in Florida. Late summer and fall weather, on the other hand, can sometimes be a bit challenging.

What would you want in your vehicle in case you had to evacuate just before a hurricane?

#212292 - 12/03/10 01:30 PM Re: Winter Car Kits [Re: Art_in_FL]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN

Edited for spelling.

You have a good point about the amount of money that is invested and the volume. But it is often weighing of cost/weight to need or perceived need. First I have taken a long time to get the gear that I have together. I could have never afforded to buy all of my gear in one shot. What I did was keep a mental list and purchase one thing at a time.

To speak to the volume of my stuff, I have a 4x4 truck throwing this gear in the bed of the truck gives me traction and the gear is functional. So rather than driving around with sandbags in the back of the truck for traction (it is rear wheel drive when the 4x4 isn't engaged) I have gear that I can use.

To add to the comment about cost, Last January my first truck box got stolen the insurance claim was over $1,800 in loss.

The expense of what I keep in the truck is not missed on me at all, but I would rather have the gear that not only do I need by equipment to help my friends out when they are stuck, cold and alone and needing my help. Often I am the person who is called when any of my friends are stuck or in need have help.

#212293 - 12/03/10 01:34 PM Re: Winter Car Kits [Re: Frisket]
njs Offline

Loc: Colorado
Extra windshield washer fluid is a must have for winter driving around here. Its possible to run through that fluid faster than gas on a trip through the Colorado front range or mountains in the winter months. Good wipers are a must have as well. Although not technically survival items they can help keep you safer on the road and are things people forget about until they are needed. In addition to survival type gear I carry extra washer fluid and spare wipers.

Page 2 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 ... 15 16 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.