The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#252689 - 11/02/12 01:55 PM Re: Hurricane Sandy Gas Lines [Re: thseng]
Meadowlark Offline

Loc: Northern Colorado

Wow, thseng! Thanks for reporting.

I haven't seen a line like that since the 1970s.

Stay safe,

M
My knapsack on my back

Current kits: http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=241840

#252740 - 11/03/12 01:10 AM Re: Hurricane Sandy Gas Lines [Re: thseng]
Ironwood Offline
Journeyman

On gensets, multi fuels is good. Diesel keeps nearly indefintely, and NG lines usually stay pressurized from well heads. My fuel of choise is NG for home, and diesel for mobile. Generally we dont need the electric, more for convienence, and pulling water from our deep well (working on a retro hand pump on century old hand dug/lined well on our property.)

I got a buddy a 709 military diesel genset (3KW) a few years back, he is on Morris NJ and has run it several hundred hours in the last few years in the storms there. They are loud but worth it if you need to keep some important stuff online (wont run a whole house or even part)

Thanks for the video...

Ironwood

Edited by Ironwood (11/03/12 01:17 AM)

#252772 - 11/03/12 02:46 PM Re: Hurricane Sandy Gas Lines [Re: Ironwood]
Jolt Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Maine
The gas situation in NJ has made me think...my car has a rather small tank, which would be a real disadvantage in that type of scenario if I needed to do a significant amount of driving (fortunately I do have a bike so that would help). I also don't really have a place to store fuel as I am renting an apartment in a multifamily (3 unit) building. Maybe the best thing to do is to fill up the tank and a couple of gas cans when potential badness is approaching...I suppose I could temporarily put a couple of full cans in the far corner of the yard, and use them to fill up the next time that is needed. Anyone have other thoughts?

#252773 - 11/03/12 03:14 PM Re: Hurricane Sandy Gas Lines [Re: Jolt]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I always top off the tank before any event that I can see approaching. Other than that, the lower half tank is reserved. As for additional gas cans -- if you can store them safely do it and rotate them out.

#252774 - 11/03/12 03:21 PM Re: Hurricane Sandy Gas Lines [Re: Jolt]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
They just implemented odd/even gas days in NJ:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/11/as_nj_gas_shortage_rolls_on_la.html

The simple solution would be to eliminate "gouging" laws. Noooooo - now a state senator is proposing to require gas stations to have generators. Perhaps they could afford them and be motivated to have them if they were allowed to charge what the gas is really worth.

I filled up across the river in PA yesterday - no waiting. Pays to be 10 miles from the border.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#252781 - 11/03/12 05:40 PM Re: Hurricane Sandy Gas Lines [Re: Jolt]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Jolt
The gas situation in NJ has made me think...my car has a rather small tank, which would be a real disadvantage in that type of scenario if I needed to do a significant amount of driving (fortunately I do have a bike so that would help). I also don't really have a place to store fuel as I am renting an apartment in a multifamily (3 unit) building. Maybe the best thing to do is to fill up the tank and a couple of gas cans when potential badness is approaching...I suppose I could temporarily put a couple of full cans in the far corner of the yard, and use them to fill up the next time that is needed. Anyone have other thoughts?

Do you not have a trustworthy neighbor, friend, family member or co-worker who lives close by and has a garage or shed who will allow you to temporarily store the gas cans?

John Lubbock

#252788 - 11/03/12 08:40 PM Re: Hurricane Sandy Gas Lines [Re: Teslinhiker]
Jolt Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Originally Posted By: Jolt

Do you not have a trustworthy neighbor, friend, family member or co-worker who lives close by and has a garage or shed who will allow you to temporarily store the gas cans?

For temporary storage when a storm is approaching, maybe I could put a couple full cans in the trash shed outside my building--why I didn't think of that right away, I am not sure. That shed is awfully close to the building for storing large quantities of flammable liquids on a regular basis, but having a couple of gas cans in there for a few days should be OK.

#252789 - 11/03/12 09:12 PM Re: Hurricane Sandy Gas Lines [Re: thseng]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Friend was in NJ the past few days as her brother had an emergency heart situation (surgery postponed 24 hours because the hospital was on generator).

Said she waited 90 minutes in one of the shorter gas lines but was limited to $20 worth and it had to be cash.

I wonder how much gas she burned getting gas.

Sandy will be remembered for a long time. Hopefully, those who remember will be more prepared in the future. But the average person can be only so prepared for gas shortages.

#252791 - 11/03/12 09:20 PM Re: Hurricane Sandy Gas Lines [Re: Dagny]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Originally Posted By: Dagny

Said she waited 90 minutes in one of the shorter gas lines but was limited to $20 worth and it had to be cash.

Exactly! Everyone was driving around burning gas just to find enough gas to drive around and search some more.

Why not allow the people at the front of the line to fill up so they won't come back for at least a few days?

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#252793 - 11/03/12 09:39 PM Re: Hurricane Sandy Gas Lines [Re: Dagny]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Dagny

Friend was in NJ the past few days as her brother had an emergency heart situation (surgery postponed 24 hours because the hospital was on generator).

Sandy will be remembered for a long time. Hopefully, because those who remember should be more prepared in the future. But the average person can be only so prepared for gas shortages.

Though I am sure a lot of people did not heed the warnings and did not fill their car gas tanks before the storm hit. It makes me wonder though how many people who may of had a good amount of gas are now getting caught up in gotta have it fever? Meaning they watch the news and see these lineups and think that they better go get more gas "before it is all gone."

John Lubbock

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.