Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#252706 - 11/02/12 05:54 PM Re: Hurricane Sandy & Urban Survival [Re: ireckon]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
http://mashable.com/2012/10/29/fake-hurricane-sandy-photos/

There are some fake photos floating around. The pic in the original post came from a friend's camera.

#252710 - 11/02/12 06:32 PM Re: Hurricane Sandy & Urban Survival [Re: ireckon]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Something else to consider: In densely populated areas, that 3 day supply of food and water is not going to cut it. The shear number of people are going to overwhelm any relief efforts and surviving infrastructure.

http://news.yahoo.com/exasperation-builds-day-3-storm-stricken-nyc-202314418.html

How long should do you plan to be sitting pretty for?

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#252718 - 11/02/12 07:19 PM Re: Hurricane Sandy & Urban Survival [Re: Mark_R]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

That's a tough one to answer in an urban environment. Bugging out requires some preparation. Even getting down the stairs in a high rise could be a huge challenge for the elderly. A supply of cash is also a prerequisite for an urban/city bugout even if you have some where to go!

http://www.salon.com/2012/11/01/food_stamps_cant_buy_groceries_in_sandy_power_out/

News reports are indicating fuel shortages and very long queues of between 6-10 hrs wait times and even portable generators changing hand for $12,000

http://news.sky.com/story/1006072/sandy-fuel-crisis-grows-on-us-east-coast

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (11/02/12 07:24 PM)

#252721 - 11/02/12 08:15 PM Re: Hurricane Sandy & Urban Survival [Re: Mark_R]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Mark_R
Something else to consider: In densely populated areas, that 3 day supply of food and water is not going to cut it. The shear number of people are going to overwhelm any relief efforts and surviving infrastructure.

http://news.yahoo.com/exasperation-builds-day-3-storm-stricken-nyc-202314418.html

Our plan is for at least 2 weeks, but we're realistically ready for over a month. (I wanted more convenience foods this week, but we would have managed nicely without.)

I'd like a better home heating (room heating) solution though. We're currently dependant on clothes, blankets, chem hand warmers, drink, food and, of course, body heat, wink Candles and oil lamps will add a lkttle warmth bit we're not depending on them. We did get an old coleman propane heater at a yard sale in the summe but haven't checked it or researched at all yet, so it's useless for the moment.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#252725 - 11/02/12 10:27 PM Re: Hurricane Sandy & Urban Survival [Re: bacpacjac]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
The pictures of people crowding around any available power to charge their phones made me realize that this is not something I really thought too much of.

Prior planning was that I would be able to recharge our phone (same brand and models) from our battery booster/power pack or the deep cycle battery if needed...provided that we were at home. The other plan was to charge from the vehicle 12 volt system but that would also depend on being in or staying with the vehicle.

The other scenario not thought about, was what happen if we had to ever leave on foot and not have a source to re-charge the phones along the way to wherever we may headed.

To that end, I just ordered 2 new spare phone batteries and a separate charger from Ebay which for the $40.00 total is IMO, money well spent.

I also stopped at the store on the way home today and also picked up another 4 slot AA/AAA battery charger. Now with 2 chargers, it will much easier to manage the 3-4 month charging rotation on the 40 or so AA Eneloops we have on hand.

John Lubbock

#252726 - 11/02/12 10:29 PM Re: Hurricane Sandy & Urban Survival [Re: adam2]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
It's the same here as in Britain, in other words, a lack of continuous Preventative Maintenance and Inspection.

#252728 - 11/02/12 10:40 PM Re: Hurricane Sandy & Urban Survival [Re: Mark_R]
Jolt Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: Mark_R

Very good point. The challenge for many people living in big cities, though, when it comes to keeping enough supplies on hand is storage space (more precisely, the lack thereof). I would still think it is realistic to have about a week's worth, but even that may not be enough in many cases (this one being a likely example). Just another reason why densely populated areas are not the best places to be when disaster strikes...

Edited by Jolt (11/02/12 10:41 PM)

#252729 - 11/02/12 11:12 PM Re: Hurricane Sandy & Urban Survival [Re: bacpacjac]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac

We did get an old coleman propane heater at a yard sale in the summer but haven't checked it or researched at all yet, so it's useless for the moment.
If its a catalytic heater be careful,if it gets dirty they throw out a lot of CO.Got one here from a garage sale,worthless polluting monster.

Something I read that was interesting was do no let them evac you without your entire family unit , evac at all is another issue,seems bugging in vrs letting the feds take care of you is vastly preferred if you are able.

Families got separated by states during Katrina and the rescue response was good luck,travel to em on your dime.....which is what a lot of folks didnt have,funds to travel on.

Even if you have a lot in Bank,if its local and underwater....no money,argument for Big Bank (Not for me) and another for having a credit card or 2,good when bugged out.

Really wouldnt hurt to have more cash on hand,but like my wallet,someone uses it to save a bank trip and it never stays put here.Very frustrating.

#252730 - 11/02/12 11:14 PM Re: Hurricane Sandy & Urban Survival [Re: ireckon]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
for another forum, I switched into school teacher mode and took some pics of my "essential" 72hour hurricane supplies...

water... (2) 6 gal Coleman water containers, Sawyer .1micron filter with 5 gal kit, Clorox (1/2 tsp to filtered 5 gal)

for communications in addition to charged cell phone and 12v/120v/solar chargers.. Midland 300W (SAME), Grundig FR200 with hand crank), non electric land line phone, digital portable TV

for cooking in addition to a 2 burner Coleman propane camp stove and propane tail gate stove... a single burner propane stove, Swiss Ranger stove with Sterno, tommy cooker with heat tabs, Trangia alcohol stove with denatured alcohol, DIY alcohol stove on 70% isopropyl

lighting... large fount Dietz lantern, Coleman High Tech LED lantern, long burn candle,Black Diamond LED headlamp, Gerber Infinity task light, Fenix E21 light ...all lights are AA driven LEDs

for heating... (2) propane catalytic space heaters, (2) bulk propane tank mount radiant heaters, adapter for 1# bottles

for the typical tropical hot weather... D cell tent fan adapted to model airplane collet hub and propeller, 12v tent fan

Edited by LesSnyder (11/02/12 11:15 PM)

#252731 - 11/02/12 11:21 PM Re: Hurricane Sandy & Urban Survival [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

New York area CDC advisory on the accuweather.com website;

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/new-york-ny/10017/weather-warnings/349727

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 182 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.