Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#252470 - 10/30/12 09:08 PM Re: Major East coast storm a brewin' [Re: Dagny]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Dagny

I went out on the sidewalk a few times to survey the situation

For our listening audience: hurricanes often have tornadoes and it's risky outdoors even if the eyewall isn't nearby.

Quote:

This tree a block away gave up the ghost.

That tree has no roots! Note to self - don't park next to a tree crowded by pavement and side walk when a windstorm blows by.

The one thick root in the picture probably extended into the storm drain to draw water.

#252476 - 10/30/12 09:50 PM Re: Major East coast storm a brewin' [Re: Dagny]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Dagny
Originally Posted By: Meadowlark

Comfort items (like nacho chips) always seem to come up short, as I sometimes don't replenish them as they're not "vital". Yet when a snowstorm drifts us in, what do I rue not having the most? Comfort items.

Good observation. The spinach I bought pre-storm remains untouched. The ice cream and Tostitos are another story.

You had icecream? Thant's riding a storm out in style, Dagny. Glad you came through it safe and sound!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#252478 - 10/30/12 09:52 PM Re: Major East coast storm a brewin' [Re: Teslinhiker]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Thanks John! Hubby's going to download it to his phone and I'm looking for a version for my tablet. We do have a couple of radios, including a crank one, but this sounds more robust.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#252479 - 10/30/12 10:01 PM Re: Major East coast storm a brewin' [Re: TeacherRO]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Sooooo.....how are your rain totals going? Anyone in snow zones?

#252482 - 10/30/12 11:22 PM Re: Major East coast storm a brewin' [Re: gulliamo]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Originally Posted By: gulliamo
I'm uptown and on "high ground" so didn't lose power or water - only cable internet. Cell phone signal, including high-speed 4G internet, was up the entire time.

An interesting observation: Everyone with their urban assault vehicles (big Jeeps, Hummers, etc.) were completely stuck while those with smaller vehicles could get under this obstacle. lolz

Ooo, my fingers are getting twitchy just looking at that obstacle - nothing that an hour with a Stihl can't solve.

#252490 - 10/31/12 01:01 AM Re: Major East coast storm a brewin' [Re: spuds]
Famdoc Offline

Loc: PA
lights stayed on in most of Central PA so far. Less wind/rain than forecast, for which we're thankful. More weather to come

#252503 - 10/31/12 02:10 AM Re: Major East coast storm a brewin' [Re: TeacherRO]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Seems like things are over here. Overall a relatively mild "winter storm." For us, winds 30-40 at gusts. About 4 inches of rain. Localized flooding. Absolutely NOTHING remarkable for us.

It was a dry-run for re-arranging the garage to fit both vehicles, find the various lights/lanterns, make sure the water and gas cans were filled up, all batteries charged and electronics living on their chargers (in case of power failure - wife and I both on-call). One bathtub filled w/ water for washing/toilet duty.

Overall I think we were well prepared for something, and nothing materialized! I really wish we had a little more problems, just so I could stress-test my system. So far it's been 99% theoretical.

Have friends in Philly, NJ and NYC - most of them are accounted for and doing well enough. One still MIA, but she's a poor communicator at the best of times.

Good luck to the rest of you dealing w/ the storm and its aftermath!

Edited by MDinana (10/31/12 02:11 AM)

#252811 - 11/03/12 11:14 PM Re: Major East coast storm a brewin' [Re: MDinana]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I'm back! At least for now. crazy

It's been pure hell around here. My area still has no power, no cable tv, no internet, limited phone service, and basically no gasoline. Getting around is difficult with trees and wires still blocking some roads.

Thankfully I fared better than most with only one tree down, which took out the service on the side of our house. We luckily didn't get the heavy rain here, but I've got friends further south whose homes are a complete loss with 4+ feet of water and sand on their first floor.

Our generator has been a godsend. It's been humming along since Monday keeping our food cold and our house warm. We aren't expected to get utility power back to our area until at least Wednesday, with other utilities to follow. I'm especially glad my generator and truck is diesel, as I've still got 1500 gallons on hand, whereas people with gas generators have been fighting tooth and nail for gas.

Our home phone and cell phone service has been iffy. Verizon was fine with text messages (as long as they're text only), calling often didn't work. Now it's getting more reliable. Sprint was absolutely useless. This is the first day I'm getting WiMAX on my laptop and people with Sprint cell phones are still having a lot of trouble making and receiving calls.

Not sure what else to say, except I hope everyone else here did ok.

#252814 - 11/03/12 11:42 PM Re: Major East coast storm a brewin' [Re: TeacherRO]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Wow Paul,NICE genney setup you have!

#252856 - 11/04/12 06:44 PM Re: Major East coast storm a brewin' [Re: TeacherRO]
gulliamo Offline

Loc: Denver, CO, USA
Quick update: While we're all sorted we have neighbors that still don't have power and won't until the 10th! The gas stations have 2-4 hour waits. The temp is dropping.

What this tells me: You can't rely on timely local power restoration. Your generator won't have enough fuel. Bug out to the hills isn't a good option as society hasn't collapsed and you still need to go to work/school/etc. (it seems many on this forum can't wait to execute this option).

Conclusion: #1 Survival Kit item = Social Network. Ensure you have a good network of friends and neighbors. Open up your door to them when they have issues and it will be open to you when you do.

Edited by gulliamo (11/04/12 06:45 PM)

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.