Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#252229 - 10/25/12 04:05 PM Major East coast storm a brewin'
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

#252236 - 10/25/12 06:24 PM Re: Major East coast storm a brewin' [Re: TeacherRO]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Took today off, so I figured I'd gas up the vehicles, as well as test run the genny, pumps, and chainsaws. Not really worried, as these storms tend to turn into nothing more than a little rain and wind when they reach us, but it gives me something to do today.

#252238 - 10/25/12 06:49 PM Re: Major East coast storm a brewin' [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
just a comment.... I underestimated TS Debbie earlier this summer as I look primarily at the wind speed and storm surge numbers... she dumped over 24" of rain in two days, and caused serious localized flooding...my weather alert radio with SAME localized warning went off half a dozen or so times with tornado warnings...one touched down about a block east of me, leaving a line of large trees downed through the neighborhood...

#252257 - 10/25/12 11:18 PM Re: Major East coast storm a brewin' [Re: ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Not super worried either. The updates still have it mostly brushing past us - early forecasts for the area are rain and about 50mph winds on Sunday. I don't have a generator, so don't have to worry about that. Biggest concerns is it's supposed to be high's in the 40's afterwards ... not a big concern since I have about 5 sleeping bags and it's just my wife and I.

Plus, worst case scenario, she goes into work (a hospital) and racks out there.

Topping off the gas tomorrow in both vehicles. I just rotated gas on Monday, and the taste test on stored water today was fine. Have a new bag of dog food (about a week old), so we're essentially set to hunker down if needed.

Biggest worry I have is A) a tree on my truck, and B) a tree through our sliding glass window. I literally got rid of a sheet of plywood 2 weeks ago, that I've held onto for 3 years, and really don't want to do that again. A tarp will have to do it if happens.

#252260 - 10/26/12 12:02 AM Re: Major East coast storm a brewin' [Re: ]
Slatu Offline
Stranger

Loc: Central New England
Here in Mass, we had a nice snow storm last year about the same time. Leaves are still on the trees, so if it does get snowy and windy, I expect some power outages. As it approaches, I don't feel too much apprehension. Been getting steadily more prepared throughout the years, and would enjoy a nice power outage for a few days.

#252269 - 10/26/12 02:12 AM Re: Major East coast storm a brewin' [Re: TeacherRO]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA

#252272 - 10/26/12 02:37 AM Re: Major East coast storm a brewin' [Re: TeacherRO]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

I'm on the Outer Banks of NC (Avon), wrapping up a two week vacation.

Headed back to DC Friday morning.

My Honda Element is permanently packed with enough stuff to camp out comfortably for a few days. Brought a JetBoil and java press on the trip, just in case of a power outage.

Never know on the OBX what all might transpire, weather-wise, during a two week stay. In this case, ten days of spectacular weather ending with Hurricane Sandy's approach.

Safe travels, everyone. Take this storm very, very seriously. I've rarely seen such consensus among the weather professionals that we (mid-Atlantic) were looking at something this dangerous.

#252276 - 10/26/12 05:14 AM Re: Major East coast storm a brewin' [Re: TeacherRO]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Just a quick travel pouch for power outs I threw together for funzies. I been stuck in a power out outside of my house before and I feel just a pouch in the car or cargo pocket of a flashlight and some batts might help with my EDC Penlight. My penlight gets me around just fine but a little more Oompf can sometimes be needed.

The Nite Ize Buglight isnt the best purchase but the attachability/standablity of the light makes up for it. The lights a sickly blue in the middle with a dirty sick brown ring around it.

I tend to EDC a Streamlight micro stream but I havent found a easy way to carry a spare 1-2 AA's. I cant find any thin watertight tubes or anything.

#252277 - 10/26/12 05:19 AM Re: Major East coast storm a brewin' [Re: MDinana]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: MDinana
Not super worried either. The updates still have it mostly brushing past us

I have only once had to track a Hurricane for my own safety and lemme tell ya updates and predictions on the news changed A LOT the entire time. The consensus was it was gonna go out to sea and just tickle us....Then we was told to evacuate. Shortest vacation we have had for the 12 years of the same location same time.

#252280 - 10/26/12 09:55 AM Re: Major East coast storm a brewin' [Re: Frisket]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Frisket
Originally Posted By: MDinana
Not super worried either. The updates still have it mostly brushing past us

I have only once had to track a Hurricane for my own safety and lemme tell ya updates and predictions on the news changed A LOT the entire time. The consensus was it was gonna go out to sea and just tickle us....Then we was told to evacuate. Shortest vacation we have had for the 12 years of the same location same time.

Yeah, I've been noticing that smile

Yesterday morning the edge of the cone was still off shore. Now the track moved from the dead center hitting Philly (last night) to nearly Baltimore (this morning). In 24 hours we've gone from "just outside" to "halfway in" the cone of probability.

Probably hit up the grocery store tonight - TP, milk, but that's about it. Charging up our silly FRS radios as a back-up. Need to eye my stash of batteries, but I think I'm OK.

As for wife at the hospital - she's pregnant too. Only 25 weeks though, way too early!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.