Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#252308 - 10/27/12 03:07 AM Re: Major East coast storm a brewin' [Re: TeacherRO]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Yup,they are saying here it could be a real humdinger of a storm.

#252312 - 10/27/12 10:24 AM Re: Major East coast storm a brewin' [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
These things usually miss us here in South Eastern Ontario, but Hurricane Hazel did make a big impression way back in 1954, so we never rule them out when the storm track looks to be heading our way.

Looks like we're going to get hit with wind, rain and maybe snow. Going to pick up some more canned goods and snacks when I shop today but we should be in good shape here. Except for boots - DS recently outgrew his rain boots and his winter boots from last year are too small. Going to find him a good pair of sub-zero insulated rubber boots today.

Also going to make sure he's got a few "Hunker down in the school for a while" supplies in his backpack this week, especially Wednesday, when it looks to be heading our way. I'm thinking specifically of a change of clothes, extra snack and new batteries in his flashlight. It's Halloween so maybe we'll send some little glow sticks for the class as a treat and a just in case prep.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#252317 - 10/27/12 07:26 PM Re: Major East coast storm a brewin' [Re: TeacherRO]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
I wonder what it's like to start from scratch in the few days of escalating alarms about this storm.

Thanks to previous experiences, ETS and a couple other sources, I start from a comfortable baseline of preparedness. Vacationing in the Outer Banks of North Carolina for the past ten days, I felt no urgency to rush home to DC and scramble to prepare. We got home to DC last night. We got out of the OBX in more than sufficient time to spare to escape deteriorating conditions there in a prudent manner.

The only supplies I'm thinking of going out for are perishable foods. And maybe a bag or two of ice. Though we go years between outages.

I did just make a mental note to make sure my Kindles have a full charge (a Touch and Fire HD).

I will probably go to the store tonight or tomorrow but that's because I've been away from home for over a week and would like fresh bread, eggs, milk, dessert and to stock up on coffee I took on the trip.

If its a mob scene at the store, I don't have to go in. I do have at home already some coffee, lots of tea, some half & half (and canned evap milk for backup), a fairly well stocked fridge (bacon, sausage, eggs one week past the "best by" date so still perfectly palatable) and plenty of nonperishable foods. We also have a lot of restaurants around here so am thinking of doing a big Thai order to have tasty leftovers.

I always have a few weeks of my dog's food on hand.

The other stuff -- cash, bottled water, candle lanterns, radio, flashlights-headlamps, batteries, full gas tank, camping stoves, grill, tools (axes, for instance), sleeping bags, etcetera, etcetera have been my 24/7/365 reality for years.

I find the peace of mind is addictive.

Neighbors and I were conferring on the sidewalk today (sunny, mild fall day in DC). We're not terribly concerned (and our very thankful) because our power lines are underground, we're not prone to flooding and the trees have been thinned out by previous storms and pruning. We plan on pitching in if anything arises and anyone needs help. We'll keep an eye on the storm drains, gutters, etc.

After the widespread, lengthy power outages around here caused by the July "derecho," it is a wonder anyone here would not have learned valuable lessons from it.

On that note, a friend of mine in Virginia who suffered extensive tree damage in the July derecho and lost power for eight days and was forced to relocate, still has not gotten around to getting a nice backup generator -- despite having plenty of means to do so. It's on her to-do list but just has not been done.

So I'll probably end up running a cooler, ice and sleeping bag out to her. Some days, that's what friends are for.

Good luck to all. I hope and pray this storm spares you and your loved ones any harm or hardship.

To those who are new to this preparedness arena, constantly run over in your mind the basics: shelter (weather-approriate), water, food (and meds, if necessary) and covering those bases for at least a week if you can.

#252319 - 10/27/12 07:35 PM Re: Major East coast storm a brewin' [Re: Dagny]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: Dagny
... If its a mob scene at the store, I don't have to go in. ...

With two whole days to go why would there be a mob? If you don't wait until the last minute you'll have totally wasted it wink grin

#252322 - 10/27/12 07:55 PM Re: Major East coast storm a brewin' [Re: Russ]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Russ
Originally Posted By: Dagny
... If its a mob scene at the store, I don't have to go in. ...

With two whole days to go why would there be a mob? If you don't wait until the last minute you'll have totally wasted it wink grin

Russ - it's always a mob at the groceries around here on Saturday.

On a normal Saturday, Costco is miserable. If I must go then, I try to get there before they open to get a head start on the madness.

My closest Costco is near the Pentagon. Parking there is a problem.

#252323 - 10/27/12 08:00 PM Re: Major East coast storm a brewin' [Re: TeacherRO]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

The latest forecast for DC, by the best forecasters in town:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capi...88962_blog.html

Before we break the scenarios down, here’s what we can likely expect, irrespective of the storm track scenario:

* The worst of the storm will hit Monday into Tuesday

* There will be a prolonged period of strong winds, potentially sustained at 25-45 mph, with gusts to 45-60 mph (likely higher east of the Chesapeake Bay) for a period of 12 hours or more during the height of the storm. Power outages are likely.

* Rainfall totals of at least 3-6” are a good bet. Flood prone areas are likely to flood.

Start preparing now.

For inland areas (including Washington, D.C. and Baltimore), because this storm is so large, we will experience heavy rain amounts and strong winds in either case. It doesn’t matter if the storm first crosses land in central New Jersey or Chincoteague

It surely will be a memorable couple of days.

#252324 - 10/27/12 08:46 PM Re: Major East coast storm a brewin' [Re: Dagny]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
* There will be a prolonged period of strong winds, potentially sustained at 25-45 mph, with gusts to 45-60 mph (likely higher east of the Chesapeake Bay) for a period of 12 hours or more during the height of the storm. Power outages are likely.

So is the Storm of the Century or otherwise known as the Frankenstorm (Stormageddon has already been used previously) going to a bit of a blustery old day! (this was about 4 dyas after Hurricane Bawbag hit Scotland) wink

It does look like a like some heavy rain though which could lead to some localised flooding.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (10/27/12 08:52 PM)

#252327 - 10/28/12 12:12 AM Re: Major East coast storm a brewin' [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Nice set of useful links... lifehacker links to hurricane stuff

#252335 - 10/28/12 10:42 AM Re: Major East coast storm a brewin' [Re: TeacherRO]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
A little pre-storm update from my area:

By Thursday night, it became impossible to find a generator. All sold out everywhere. Lots of "Sorry, No Generators" signs.

By Friday night, it became impossible to find a gas powered pump or electric sump pump. All sold out. Small size wet vacs were still available until Saturday.

Bottled water was gone from the food store by Saturday night. As was bread and eggs.

Plenty of batteries, flashlights, and candles still available.

Gas stations still have plenty of gas and the lines at the pump weren't much worse than usual.

There was a huge line to get sandbags from the town. Each home was limited to maximum of 10 sandbags.

Spoke with some local Fire/Police officials about their plan of action. Essentially, if the weather is too bad, they aren't going to respond to calls, period. Once they get a break in the weather, they'll respond in order of severity. This could mean extensive wait times for calling 911.

Along the same lines, we were told that if our power goes out, don't expect it to come on until probably Wednesday at the earliest. Utility crews will be stationed around town, but aren't being sent out until they're given the all clear. Same goes for phone lines obviously.

Spoke with a friend who lives on the main land directly across from the barrier islands (which have been evacuated). He's not under mandatory evacuation, but he's leaving anyway. Storm Surge is expected to be 4-8ft and his bulk head is only about 5ft off the high-tide water line. Therefore, he fully expects a flooded first floor of his house and has prepared for it as best he can.

Right now I'm on standby in case anything happens at our commercial properties. Biggest worry for us is a gas main rupture, as we've got a few very large mains coming into the buildings. A breakage could effect natural gas pressure for the entire town, as well as potentially causing a major explosion. Went out early this morning to check the street side valves and practice shutting them off in a hurry to minimize time spent in the elements.

#252336 - 10/28/12 11:54 AM Re: Major East coast storm a brewin' [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Frankenstorm charging up the east coast and a 7.7 earthquake in BC causing a tsunami to race down the west coast to Hawaii. Stay safe everyone!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.