The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#252369 - 10/29/12 03:04 PM Re: Major East coast storm a brewin' [Re: Dagny]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Speaking of hot coffee when the power goes out -- GAS ONE Portable Gas Stove There are less expensive versions that use pretty much the same design, but aren't stainless steel. I have one and have used it during power outages -- two thumbs up.

#252370 - 10/29/12 03:14 PM Re: Major East coast storm a brewin' [Re: Russ]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
in case you need to run your alternator for an extended period of time, or have a family member not able to fill the hot engine from a 6 gal can, a squeeze bulb siphon hose might be your answer...section of 5/16 or 3/8 fuel line, squeeze bulb, 1/4 fuel line to carb and adapter barb

#252372 - 10/29/12 03:41 PM Re: Major East coast storm a brewin' [Re: TeacherRO]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

A neighbor and I just went back out and shoveled more debris and leaves from our street's gutters. We're cursing the fall leaves that people didn't take care of before the storm hit.

Also, gutters flow a lot better if car tires are not pressed right up against the curb.

#252374 - 10/29/12 04:02 PM Re: Major East coast storm a brewin' [Re: Russ]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Speaking of hot coffee when the power goes out -- GAS ONE Portable Gas Stove There are less expensive versions that use pretty much the same design, but aren't stainless steel. I have one and have used it during power outages -- two thumbs up.

These are very handy stoves to have but could be somewhat tricky to get going in the dark (when lights go out) for the uninitiated. i.e. loading the gas cartridge.

If using the GAS ONE Portable Gas/Campingaz type Stove then it will need constant attention for indoor use as it won't have a flame failure protection device.

For bug in emergencies I will be using one of these.

http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Double_Burner_Europa_Gas_Boiling_Ring_with_FFD.html

With a 15Kg LPG Bottle this will easily give over 1-2 months cooking use.

For long term use i.e. Electricity being out for more than 2 weeks I will also fall back on some LPG Lanterns. The Latern will consume 85 grams per hour @a light output of a 100W incandescent light bulb, so would give about 1 Months use @ 6 hrs per day.

I will generally always have available a couple of 15KG LPG bottles of LPG stored in these;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Calor-Provence-Portable-Flueless-Heater/dp/B0045U4O4E/ref=pd_sim_sbs_kh_2

LPG bottles have some major advantages over other liquid fuel sources, whereby the energy is converted to modern push button electrical living.

i.e. Storage of Generator liquid fuels, Generator reliability and maintenance, noise of operational use, toxic fumes and exhausts etc.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (10/29/12 04:03 PM)

#252376 - 10/29/12 04:11 PM Re: Major East coast storm a brewin' [Re: Dagny]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Dagny

A neighbor and I just went back out and shoveled more debris and leaves from our street's gutters. We're cursing the fall leaves that people didn't take care of before the storm hit.

That's going to be an issue in out neighbourhood as well. It's happened before with much less rain than we're expecting this time around. Everyone left the leaves on the ground to enhance the kids Halloween experience. Joy!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#252377 - 10/29/12 04:15 PM Re: Major East coast storm a brewin' [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I just showed a co-worker the LED lamp I keep on my desk. She said "For what?" When I said "in case the power goes out where you're here alone tonight" she said "Oh yeah. I didn't think of that. Maybe I should get a flashlight for home too?" Yup, she asked it like a question. Makes my head hurt.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#252379 - 10/29/12 04:30 PM Re: Major East coast storm a brewin' [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Yep, for longer term I have a Coleman 2 burner propane stove with a converter to use a standard 20# tank. But for short power outages, this class of Butane stove is easy to set up and very convenient.

#252380 - 10/29/12 05:12 PM Re: Major East coast storm a brewin' [Re: bacpacjac]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
I just showed a co-worker the LED lamp I keep on my desk. She said "For what?" When I said "in case the power goes out where you're here alone tonight" she said "Oh yeah. I didn't think of that. Maybe I should get a flashlight for home too?" Yup, she asked it like a question. Makes my head hurt.

That's like my neighbor. He went out and bought a generator, which was great. But, he didn't get any extra gas or extension cords. Not sure what he was thinking. crazy

#252381 - 10/29/12 05:48 PM Re: Major East coast storm a brewin' [Re: TeacherRO]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
From Anne Arundel County, just outside Annapolis, MD:

Up until 1:05 EST I would have said the all was ok--light rain, light to occasional strong gust. Minor problem this AM with the sump pump float valve, which didn't turn on the pump and, after some encouragement from a few blows, started the pump before the basement flooded. (Note to self: find backup.)

Then, for no apparent reason, the power went out (1:05 pm est). 30 seconds later, the genny started and about 3 minutes after that I finished rebooting the modem and router and I'm back up on-line. Just in time to get a skype call from our 4 year old grand neice (helped by her Dad) in eastern europe who was worried about the storm. (Apparently getting big coverage there.)

#252382 - 10/29/12 06:17 PM Re: Major East coast storm a brewin' [Re: LesSnyder]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
in case you need to run your alternator for an extended period of time, or have a family member not able to fill the hot engine from a 6 gal can, a squeeze bulb siphon hose might be your answer...section of 5/16 or 3/8 fuel line, squeeze bulb, 1/4 fuel line to carb and adapter barb

My favorite siphon:

http://www.superjiggler.com/
http://www.simplesiphon.com/products/

Bunch of other similar siphons, just use Google.

The metal valve is the way to go, plastic just doesn't have near the flow.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.