Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#251958 - 10/20/12 02:07 AM Re: Riots [Re: spuds]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Originally Posted By: spuds
I want to make a prediction.

If that Florida shooting case results in an acquittal,(right or wrong),there will be a good chance of rioting and smart money says lay low and stay home on verdict day,or when announced get your behind home or off the streets ASAP if possible. I predict crowds will be in abundance awaiting verdict.

You should be able to ascertain what areas to avoid.

Another Rodney King incident is on the radar and is in Florida (Perhaps elsewhere) is my prediction, IMO.

Brought to you by NostraSpudsDAmuos

I must say that I have been thinking about this and am concerned about it. Irresponsible people have created an expectation of a verdict that may never come. Fortunately, the instigators have become less vocal as exculpatory evidence favorable to Zimmerman has come to light. However, I suspect that I and the rest of my family will stay at home the day the verdict is announced.

#251959 - 10/20/12 03:16 AM Re: Riots [Re: ILBob]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Riots are very low risk for most people, especially compared to blackouts, tornados, hurricanes, winter storms, home invasion, medical emergencies, etc. Sure, this depends on your location and contemporary events, but I daresay you'll do well to make sure you don't neglect preparing for other more likely situations. Besides, if you're prepared for those, you're halfway to being prepared for a riot.

In my location, I'd reckon that a nuclear disaster is more likely than a riot. So I don't bother with specialized preparation for riots at all.

I think we're talking about it either because we've talked out the other more probably scenarios, or because we're scared irrationally.

#251960 - 10/20/12 04:12 AM Re: Riots [Re: Bingley]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Originally Posted By: Bingley
Riots are very low risk

I think we're talking about it either because we've talked out the other more probably scenarios, or because we're scared irrationally.
Agreed,low risk.

Nope,not irrational.It can play into other related scenarios.

Doesnt hurt at all to put it into your brain,could be beneficial and you are miles ahead if youve already thought out your actions.

No downside,possible upside,sounds good to me.

#251966 - 10/20/12 12:45 PM Re: Riots [Re: MartinFocazio]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
The Army, USMC, all state's National Guards, all local, county, & state police forces ( DHS funding is providing funds for training and equipment), FBI & ATF (providing training to Law Eforcement agencies).

#252040 - 10/22/12 04:23 AM Re: Riots [Re: wildman800]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: wildman800
I posted this back in 2007. Perhaps yall can find it useful after modifying it to your own needs and situation:

This is what I've put together as a Threat Condition Checklist. It needs a great deal of work and yes, this is a DRAFT edition.
So take your best shots and we'll all have something that is useful!!!

ThreatCon Checklist
Updated 28May07

5=definite threat possibility with no specific intel.
4=event could occur/start in 3 months - no specific intel.
3=event could occur/start in 1 month &#150; no specific intel
2=event may occur/start in 2 weeks - specific intel (includes &#147;special&#148; dates)
1=event may or is occurring/specific intel or news of an incident

An interesting plan in the making.
I presume that each threat level would need some preps for your Bug Out location, as well as your primary home location; including conferring with your Bug Out neighbours ?

#252047 - 10/22/12 01:21 PM Re: Riots [Re: Aussie]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Everybody's situation is different. Anyone who wants to, is welcome to make use of this checklist and to tailor it to their situation and needs as their life allows and/or dictates.

#252075 - 10/23/12 03:25 AM Re: Riots [Re: ILBob]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

This subject has been raised by a large number of emails and is being discussed in various online forums.

My thoughts on the matter:

http://www.equipped.org/blog/?p=574
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#252081 - 10/23/12 08:43 AM Re: Riots [Re: ILBob]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
I live in London and was near the riot hit areas, which was very alarming, though I suffered no actual harm.

Despite frequent monitoring of the news, I was caught unaware one evening by the rapidly worsening situation.
I had observed rioting the night before and felt it prudent to take a taxi home rather than public transport.

I then decided to visit a restaurant near my work place and to take a taxi home from the restaurant.
Whilst I was dining the situation near my home rapidly worsened with large scale looting and arson.
No reputable taxi firm was willing to take me anywhere near home, and public transport has been closed to protect staff.

In the end I bribed a taxi driver with £100 to take me home (normal fare £12) at one point the road was closed by rioters, several of whom the cab driver ran over.

In retrospect I should have gone straight home, or stayed at work.

#252090 - 10/23/12 12:23 PM Re: Riots [Re: Doug_Ritter]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
This subject has been raised by a large number of emails and is being discussed in various online forums.

My thoughts on the matter:

http://www.equipped.org/blog/?p=574

Nicely written.

And, yes, various online forums are discussing it. Everything from "it won't happen," to the gun-happy "I'm gonna have me a case of beer and my shotgun" responses. Like many things, I think it won't live up to it's hype. The US is too big, and diverse (geographically, racially, politically, economically, pick one) to have a 3000x1500 mile riot happen.

#252095 - 10/23/12 01:47 PM Re: Riots [Re: ILBob]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
My expectation is that any riots will be small-scale and put down abruptly.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.