Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#251876 - 10/18/12 11:42 AM Re: Riots [Re: Blacktop]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Sioux Falls, SD, or Minneapolis, MN, probably aren't on that list..... Maybe NYC?

#251900 - 10/18/12 09:37 PM Re: Riots [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
But I suspect that the USA is quite a different to England due to the fire arms situation and the risk to life being involved in an actual Riot.

Typically, shooting during riots in the USA comes from the police or the troops, not from rioters.

Quote:
The US Federal Government internal security agencies within the USA has some very effective intelligence gathering networks and its recent ammunition purchases indicate that they are possibly preparing for a very serious potential situation on a scale previously unknown.

I respectfully disagree with the second half of that statement. Riots in the USA are essentially never dealt with by Federal law enforcement. They are the domain of municipal and county law enforcement, with the escalation path going to the state police, then the afflicted state's governor and from there to the National Guard.

Ammo is cheapest when purchased in bulk. I would not read anything into the recent ammo purchases that have hit the news.

Quote:
For example the electronic Food rationing system (administered by a well known Wall Street Banking Firm), which have almost 1/6 of the countries population dependent in the US could be subject to systemic economic failure. Even if this hand to mouth system was recoverable even after a week or two, this could be too late.

Do you mean welfare (oops, sorry, "Temporary Assistance for Needy Families")? TANF is most certainly not a food rationing system.

Quote:
I really wouldn't dismiss this as not being a serious issue requiring at least some preparation planning out of hand.

It's good to be prepared for at least a few days of self-sufficiency, and riots are a reasonable threat to prepare against if you live in or near a large city. But despite the best-intentioned efforts of administrations current and past, we seem to be able to truck along in one fashion or another.

#251910 - 10/19/12 12:48 AM Re: Riots [Re: ]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
[quote=chaosmagnet][quote=Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]

Not to mention that rioters and looters don't mess with shops or homes in which a person is armed. Friends of mine lived through the Liberty City Riots. Shop keepers sat in lawn chairs outside their stores with shotguns and the rioters/looters walked right by.
Yup,funny how that works.

#251928 - 10/19/12 04:31 AM Re: Riots [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Sioux Falls, SD, or Minneapolis, MN, probably aren't on that list..... Maybe NYC?

There might be riots if the Vikings ever win a Super Bowl. So in other words, things are pretty safe. wink

#251932 - 10/19/12 02:15 PM Re: Riots [Re: Eugene]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Eugene
I don't think there will be any political riots, people care more about sports than any election frown
I cant remember any election result riots....anyone?

If the election was over at 7:01 PM and people were milling in crowds for the result....perhaps.

But people are far too apathetic to bother. And getting more apethetic as each day passes.

The media focusing on a relative handful of nut jobs will not a riot make.At least nothing like roving mobs,I COULD see polling place violence as possible but I dont call that a riot.IMO

I agree,its things like court verdicts and sports drunken crowds of morons that make riots here in the US.

Now if we get serious financial collapse,bank seizures,monetary devaluation....you know,Life changing directly affecting your survival....that political stuff,then we might see riots.Eventually. Something along the VN war protests going violent?

Or like whats happening in Spain/Greece and France a while back. Just head down a side street,or into a building,seems to me those involved are choosing to be involved for the most part.

Until then,sports fools have to be #1 IMO.

#251943 - 10/19/12 04:48 PM Re: Riots [Re: ILBob]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

I want to make a prediction.

If that Florida shooting case results in an acquittal,(right or wrong),there will be a good chance of rioting and smart money says lay low and stay home on verdict day,or when announced get your behind home or off the streets ASAP if possible. I predict crowds will be in abundance awaiting verdict.

You should be able to ascertain what areas to avoid.

Another Rodney King incident is on the radar and is in Florida (Perhaps elsewhere) is my prediction, IMO.

Brought to you by NostraSpudsDAmuos

#251948 - 10/19/12 06:23 PM Re: Riots [Re: ILBob]
Greg_Sackett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: KC, MO
Here in KC, we have witnessed a couple of the social media induced flash-mobs turned riot in our major shopping/entertainment district. Basically, hundred of teens with nothing better to do descended on the area and started terrorizing the usual patrons and shopkeepers.

The second time this happened someone was actually shot very close to where the mayor was standing. This got a curfew passed pretty rapidly for teens in KC. While not a major riot, it was certainly dangerous for the people that were caught there when it happened.

Social media makes it easy to rally even the apathetic to show up and destroy things.

Greg

#251952 - 10/19/12 07:56 PM Re: Riots [Re: ILBob]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Flash mob,good point.

#251954 - 10/19/12 08:18 PM Re: Riots [Re: wildman800]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: wildman800
Several govt agencies are warning of and preparing for massive civil unrest in this country.

Name them.

#251955 - 10/19/12 08:18 PM Re: Riots [Re: ILBob]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: ILBob
One might guess why I bring this up at this particular point in time. I won't elaborate a whole lot on why there may be riots soon in the US as it might be construed as political.

It's obvious what you're saying, which is if the white mormon wins over the 1/2 black guy, there will be rioting. Yes, that's political, but let's take it both ways and suggest that if the 1/2 black guy wins over the white mormon there are some rather vocal people, some of whom might have cat scratch fever, who have openly advocated violence. I've heard it all, from both sides, and I'll suggest that as a nation we're not interested in rioting anymore because we don't live in the 1960's anymore.

Consider:

There were no riots when the Supreme Court decided the election back when.
There were no riots when the current president was elected.
There were disturbances - but no rioting - when the "Occupy" movement was happening.
There are tent cities all across the USA - and all they want is to be left alone, they aren't rioting and demanding food and shelter.

The last time there were major, multi-city riots in the United States, it had nothing to do with elections, and everything to do with civil rights in a nation that was nothing like the one we have today. The conflict of the 1960's is really hard to imagine today, because the world then was so much different than the world today.

The big American riots all happened nearly 48 years ago. In 1965, a race riot erupted in the Watts section of Los Angeles, leaving 34 people dead. This was the first of many riots that erupted across the country over the next four years. In 1967, devastating riots also happened in Detroit and in Newark, New Jersey. The following year, after the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr. rioting erupted once again, including in the nation's capital. These were scary times, no doubt.
But even with the violence of the riots, life went on for the overwhelming majority of people, including those in the cities affected.

If you are over the age of 60, no doubt you remember these riots vividly. However, consider the evidence of what actually drives people today to think that the whole nation is unstable.

There are some who are highly motivated to make sure that many people believe that the United States is teetering on the brink of chaotic collapse, because a scared population is an obedient population and an obedient population stays home and watches TV to get ever-more scary content proclaiming how bad things are and will be if the other guy gets elected. Select your own definition of "other guy" - it doesn't matter, the rhetoric of fear is identical.

The reality is that there are billions of dollars at stake - in advertising dollars - for the companies that peddle this tripe. If you stop playing along, a few very wealthy people are going to see their fortunes decline. YOU can change this.

Try this. For 1 month, abandon TV and Newspapers and get your news only from direct sources. By direct I mean go to a town council meeting. Watch C-Span. Read actual bills on the senate floor. Read the day's agendas of your state government. Go talk to people who oppose your political views. Listen to them. Do this for a month and see if there's still a realistic threat of riots.

Edited by MartinFocazio (10/19/12 08:20 PM)

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Ren, Jeanette_Isabelle), 479 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.