Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#252182 - 10/24/12 04:20 AM Wow! Impressed with this light!
Phaedrus Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Hello, all! I just received my JETBeam BC20 today and I'm pretty stoked! My initial impression is that it's a lot of light for the money. It's rated at 305 lumens and while I don't have the gear to test that claim it is incredibly bright- much brighter than my Surefire E1B, and Surefire is notorious for under rating their lights. It's well made, very solid feeling with very nice machining. It takes 2 x CR123A batteries and has a removable pocket clip.

The main thing I love about it is that it only has 2 modes! The very nice forward clicky simply activates the light in whatever mode you set it. With the bezel fully tightened the light is set @ full power or 305 lumens. A 1/4 twist or so of the bezel puts it into low mode. Dead simple! If you wish to use it as a "tactical" light to disorient an opponent simply point and press. For low mode it's easy to set it to low without even looking at it.

Finally, it's IP8 waterproofed and only $33! Pretty good deal. JETBeam has a pretty good reputation for quality so I expect it will hold up well but I'll update if it doesn't.

#252186 - 10/24/12 11:25 AM Re: Wow! Impressed with this light! [Re: Phaedrus]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I don't (yet) own any JETBeam lights, but they have a good reputation and this light has gotten some good reviews. Very nice looking at the price point.

#252192 - 10/24/12 03:15 PM Re: Wow! Impressed with this light! [Re: Phaedrus]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Thanks, I like the specs on the Jetbeam PA01. This may be the flashlight I've been seeking.

http://www.jet-beam.com/links/pro/pa01.aspx

#252208 - 10/24/12 08:44 PM Re: Wow! Impressed with this light! [Re: ireckon]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: ireckon
Thanks, I like the specs on the Jetbeam PA01. This may be the flashlight I've been seeking.

http://www.jet-beam.com/links/pro/pa01.aspx

It appears that little PA01 uses the same emitter as my BC20. So it should be pretty potent. The only downsides I see are that the single AA won't have as good a run time, plus it costs the exact same as mine (with 2 x CR123A cells).

Of course, if you need something smaller than the BC20 it looks great! I'll probably pick up a couple more JETBeam lights over time. I'm also planning to pick up that little Fenix that uses 1 x AAA.

#252210 - 10/24/12 10:46 PM Re: Wow! Impressed with this light! [Re: Phaedrus]
widget Offline
Addict

I have some of the Fenix E01 AAA lights. Nicely made, no problems with them so far, about 4 years of use. Great price on them too. I keep one in my emergency hiking kit as a backup light. I also have one of the Maratac AAA lights, which I like better but it oost twice what the Fenix did and it is not THAT much better.

You'll like the Fenix, they make a quakity flashlight at a reasonable price.

#252220 - 10/25/12 03:31 AM Re: Wow! Impressed with this light! [Re: Phaedrus]
Pete Offline
Veteran

thanks for the link - i will check them out.
if price is good ... will get one.

Pete2

#252222 - 10/25/12 03:51 AM Re: Wow! Impressed with this light! [Re: Phaedrus]
Carpal Tunnel

I have a few "Black Cat" AAA lights that I bought from DX a year ago. I know I've written about them here before. A couple weeks ago I accidentally left one in a pair of shorts that went into the washer. Even with a 30 minute presoak and a full wash cycle it still works fine despite not even being advertises as water resistant! It's got a reverse-clicky, not my favorite switch (I favor the forward clicky) but they all work great. Supposedly 100 lumens but I think they just picked that number 'cause is sounded good. Pretty bright, though.

That said, I've heard nothing but good about the Fenix E01. The Maratac looks good but yeah, hard to drop $20+ on a AAA light!

For a good light around $16 I've been very happy with my Streamlight MicroStream LED. Right now it's $17-ish but I got mine for around $15. Very nice! Great switch, IP8 rated and bright for the size. Subjectively it's a bit brighter than my Black Cats, but not by much. A bit whiter, though.

#252225 - 10/25/12 08:56 AM Re: Wow! Impressed with this light! [Re: Phaedrus]
Carpal Tunnel

Well, flashlight junkie that I am I ordered a couple more JETBeam lights! grin The first one is a JETBeam BC10. It's got the same emitter as my BC20 and is essentially just a 1 x CR123A version of that same light. Interestingly it actually cost a couple bucks more than the 2 cell version! whistle But I just got talked out of my Tank single cell 123 by a kid I work with so I need another very compact one.

The other is the JETBeam BC25. It's a little more powerful than my BC20 and can handle the high voltage rechargeables. Plus it has a smooth reflector. Lastly it has springs on both ends of the battery; this would improve shock resistance if used as a weapon-mounted light. Should be a little bit more oomph than the '20 for not an awful lot more money.

Oh, also ordered another couple dozen CR123A batteries...looks like I'm gonna need 'em! grin

#252349 - 10/28/12 06:24 PM Re: Wow! Impressed with this light! [Re: Phaedrus]
Carpal Tunnel

The madness continues! grin I just picked up a JETBeam BC25! Holy scnikies! shocked This bad boy has some power! The advertised output is 650 lumens, and it's like having a car headlight in my hand! Like my BC10 & BC20 it has just two modes, is IPX-8 rated and sports type III hard anodizing on the finish. Cool thing is this on has springs on both sides of the batteries to absorb shock; it would probably work well as a weapon light.

I'm sure there are many great Chinese light makers but JETBeam is becoming a favorite of mine. Luckily not only did the BC10 & BC25 arrive in time for my camping trip, my shippment of batteries from BatteryJunction.com made it, too! grin

#252352 - 10/28/12 11:01 PM Re: Wow! Impressed with this light! [Re: Phaedrus]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
The madness continues!

You're about 1/3 of the way there wink

http://dx.com/p/fandyfire-uv-s5-xm-l-t6-...-120679?item=42

And you can even get a 3 AA LSD NiMh powered XML 600lm Flashlight

http://dx.com/p/fandyfire-rook-cree-xm-l...-158643?item=75

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.