Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#251933 - 10/19/12 02:48 PM Thanksgiving dinner....your plans this year?
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
We thought we will go simpler this year,its just us and my BIL so this time.....

Think I will lightly smoke a turkey breast and a couple legs maybe an hour,then bake.

Do stove top stuffing,mashed taters,a sweet tater dish,asparagus,cranberries (canned ), gravy and snackie stuff like veggie tray and stuffed mushrooms and jalapenos.Maybe some chips and dip.

BIL brings dessert.

Sounds like a lot but skipping the traditional bird will be a lot simpler.Still sounds good too.

#251938 - 10/19/12 03:39 PM Re: Thanksgiving dinner....your plans this year? [Re: spuds]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
biggest "family" get together of the year... usually one bird roasted and one deep fried, but my cousin has been working on a super smoker so who knows... I bring a couple of key lime pies..

#251939 - 10/19/12 03:40 PM Re: Thanksgiving dinner....your plans this year? [Re: spuds]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
That sounds good to me!

Of course, this is a bit late for those of us in the Great White North ... Canadian Thanksgiving was on October 8th smile

Plans were to join up with some friends for a nice multi-family dinner but unfortunately some of my family got struck down with a bit of a flu bug. The kids were complaining for days that they wanted turkey dinner. Maybe we'll have better luck next year!

#251961 - 10/20/12 04:28 AM Re: Thanksgiving dinner....your plans this year? [Re: spuds]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Doing something different this year. its a small affair about 8 people. Each person is getting a personal turkey pot pie on top of the crust will be a thin layer of stuffing and then a dollop of creamy mashed potatoes. Gravy will be drizzled over.

The table of course will hold extra potatoes, stuffing, other fixings. Plus we will do a few extra turkey breasts for adding to that meal and all the extras going towards sandwiches.

#251964 - 10/20/12 09:26 AM Re: Thanksgiving dinner....your plans this year? [Re: spuds]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Well, I have a really large Smokin-It Model #3 smoker plus a Traeger, so I may well smoke a bird this time. In any event it will be brined overnight. Probably be me, my brother & his GF, my mom & my sister. Pretty low key, just some grub and some football.

#251968 - 10/20/12 04:15 PM Re: Thanksgiving dinner....your plans this year? [Re: Denis]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Denis
Of course, this is a bit late for those of us in the Great White North ... Canadian Thanksgiving was on October 8th smile

As a gesture of international goodwill, I am willing to have turkey dinner twice. grin

However, no power on Earth could get me inside a US airport on that weekend. eek

#251970 - 10/20/12 05:21 PM Re: Thanksgiving dinner....your plans this year? [Re: spuds]
widget Offline
Addict

I am going to be packing for a 3 day backpakcing trip and will likely eat salmon, rice and vegtables, all from the freezer. I have turkey sandwiches almost daily, so no big deal for me.

Maybe I will make some stovetop stuffing to make a holiday of it smile

I hope everyone has a great holiday and enjoy the big meal, it is a special time.

Edited by widget (10/20/12 05:22 PM)

#251971 - 10/20/12 05:58 PM Re: Thanksgiving dinner....your plans this year? [Re: spuds]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Wow,GREAT answers,Im impressed with all the super ideas/plans ya'll are making! EVERYTHING sounds SUPER!

Mrs loved the pot pie idea,now I know what next year will be.

Im big on brining too,makes a nice moist bird.Havent smoked a whole bird yet.

#252100 - 10/23/12 02:17 PM Re: Thanksgiving dinner....your plans this year? [Re: spuds]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
We (wife, middle daughter and I) will be heading down to my oldest daughter’s home in Wilmington, NC for a traditional turkey dinner, play with granddaughter, Black Friday shopping and football. We have made this a tradition since she and her husband moved there several years ago. My Son-In-Law is currently deployed in Bahrain (USCG), so it will be extra special to try and keep things as normal as possible.

My youngest has to stay at home due to her job and I am not happy she will miss out on the family activates, but hopefully she can spend the day with close family friends.

We also normally attend the Wrightsville Beach Flotilla that weekend and hope we can do so again.

Pete

#252173 - 10/24/12 01:04 AM Re: Thanksgiving dinner....your plans this year? [Re: spuds]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Trying to get to Cali to be w/ my family - haven't been home in about a year. We do the 'usual' - one side of the family on Thanksgiving morning, the other side on T-giving evening. Chaos, over eating, lots of noise, it's great.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.