The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#252079 - 10/23/12 04:49 AM Re: do you guys worry about coyotes? [Re: ILBob]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Around here they are shy. My wife and I only have seen them a handful of times, but have enjoyed the experience each time.

-john

#252088 - 10/23/12 12:07 PM Re: do you guys worry about coyotes? [Re: ILBob]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
The area I work and regularly Scout in has had increasing numbers of coyotes and resulting conflicts with them. (Mostly small dogs being attacked.) A few years ago, the city put up Coyote warning signs in the local ravine. My son, niece, nephew, and Beaver Scouts got a little freaked out about it, but with kids around, there's almost no chance of seeing wild-er life. We throw bear bells on our packs when we're in the area now. Don't know if they work or not, but I still have yet to see a coyote even though the news reports of them haven't stopped.

I've heard them when hiking and camping in other areas but, again, have yet to see one. Good sanitation and hygene practices probably go a long way to keeping them from being too interested in us.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#252125 - 10/23/12 05:38 PM Re: do you guys worry about coyotes? [Re: hikermor]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It is about 10 feet to the bottom of the Deils Chin so I would say about 40-45 feet high. wink

This place gives me the shivers, even more so than one of priest rooms situated in the back of the Temple of Karnak or the building atop El Castillo at Chichen Itza... blush

The latest Visit Scotland Tourist Advert.. laugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug83fGYm-YI

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (10/23/12 05:40 PM)

#252129 - 10/23/12 06:26 PM Re: do you guys worry about coyotes? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

At few months ago, whilst walking back home around about 12pm, I did have one of these come running at me after it emerged from behind a parked VW camper van. It got to within about 12 inches of my feet before it desisted.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (10/23/12 06:27 PM)

#252136 - 10/23/12 07:41 PM Re: do you guys worry about coyotes? [Re: ILBob]
Oware Offline

Loc: 49th parallel
Coyote attacks Lake Tahoe, CA

"Details from:

http://www.rgj.com/article/20090106/NEWS16/901060345/1047/TT

Coyote chases 9-year-old skier at Tahoe resort

By FRANK X. MULLEN JR. • fmullen@rgj.com • January 6, 2009

Nothing gets a mother's attention as fast as a coyote chasing her 9-year-old son down a ski slope.
Advertisement

On Sunday, Cindi Dyer of Reno and her son, Nicholas, were skiing down a black diamond run at Northstar-at-Tahoe Resort about 3 p.m. Dyer said the run was well-groomed and hard packed.

"I was telling (Nicholas) to carve his turns a little bit more," she said. "All of a sudden, out of the trees came a coyote that pursued him straight down (the run). Nicholas caught him out of the corner of his eye and knew something was coming at him, and he came straight down the hill.

"I was telling him, 'Keep skiing, keep skiing.'"

Dyer said a male skier wearing a black cowboy hat saw the chase and skied toward the coyote.

"He immediately started chasing the coyote and yelling at him and chased him away," she said. "The man was in a panic, a big guy waving his poles and yelling. The coyote didn't seem too worried. He just headed over to the other people."

Dyer said the animal was very close to the back of her son's skis.

"He was going as fast as my son," she said. "If he had fallen, he would have been attacked."

Dyer said she didn't notify the ski patrol about the incident because patrol members were busy when she saw them. Northstar officials did not return several telephone calls from the newspaper Monday.

California Fish and Game officials said they received no reports about coyote activity in the Northstar area but said coyote attacks, while rare, can occur.

Last year, there were at least two reported coyote attacks in California. In February, officials of the Colorado Division of Wildlife killed a coyote after he tried to bite a woman and charged at a 3-year-old boy on the slopes.

In February 1997, a 4-year-old girl was seriously mauled by a coyote near South Lake Tahoe. Two years later, eight people were bitten by coyotes near Stateline, prompting federal officials to track and kill seven of the animals.

"It's rare, but coyotes will occasionally act in an aggressive manner," said Kyle Orr, spokesman for the California Department of Fish and Game. "Often, it's when the animals have been fed by people or have been getting access to food."

Dyer said other skiers, including her daughter, Alexandra, 14, saw coyotes on other Northstar slopes. She said she doesn't blame the resort, but "there needs to be a warning out there. Some people from the Bay Area thought they could approach them and pet them. They look like little fluffy foxes."

Dyer said she and her children will go back to Northstar.

"We're still going to ski, but I think you really need to be aware of your surroundings and be prepared for what you would do in this situation," she said.

"We've skied all over Tahoe and in other states. We've never seen this before.""

#252205 - 10/24/12 07:24 PM Re: do you guys worry about coyotes? [Re: ILBob]
Virginia_Mark Offline
Journeyman

I don't worry about them, but we do shoot them on sight here in VA. It's perfectly legal, and they play hell on our deer (fawns) in the spring. If you kill one, there are 3-4 more you will never see.

#252207 - 10/24/12 08:38 PM Re: do you guys worry about coyotes? [Re: Virginia_Mark]
LoneWolf Offline

I don't really worry about them. The farmer who owns the land I deer hunt on refused to give me permission to hunt unless I agreed to put down any coyotes I see. Seems they like his chickens pretty well.

LW

#252228 - 10/25/12 04:04 PM Re: do you guys worry about coyotes? [Re: ]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99

Considering the Coyote Release didn't fair well, I doubt it'll see the light of day. With the increasing population of Cougar and Black Bear in my area...I doubt anyone will support the release of another apex predator.

I would not be so sure. Wolves have returned to Eastern Washington after 100 years, and are protected. The plan is to have them in at least 4 parts
of the state. In the last couple of years they have gone from
zero to about 10 packs. Quite controversial, there have been
death threats against state officials and one pack of 8 was
killed when they became cattle eaters.

#252411 - 10/30/12 03:18 AM Re: do you guys worry about coyotes? [Re: ILBob]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
Seen and heard hundreds of them and I do not worry about them at all. They flee as soon as you are seen 95% of the time and the other 5% of then look at you for a minute and wonder off. If you live out west like I do they are of little concern.

If you live in those few eastern area where Coywolves exist they may be a bigger concern. These are hybrid species of Wolves and Coyotes and may be more aggressive than a true Coyote. Even with this subspecies, you have little to be concerned about unless you physically run into it while on the trail.

Overall the chances of a carnivore attack are very small. You are far more likely to be struck by a vehicle, lighting, a tree, or a deer this fall than ever being killed by a carnivore.
boreal.net

#252466 - 10/30/12 08:36 PM Re: do you guys worry about coyotes? [Re: ILBob]
duckear Offline
Addict

Not a bit.

But then again, I have tried to shoot about everyone I have ever seen, so having a rifle in my hands definitely kicks the worry factor down a zillion notches.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.