The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#251776 - 10/16/12 10:40 AM Riots
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
One might guess why I bring this up at this particular point in time. I won't elaborate a whole lot on why there may be riots soon in the US as it might be construed as political.

But, having seen some commentary by very serious people about the potential and the actual threats of riots, it occurred to me that it might well be something to consider. I don't know how likely it is. One never really knows what will set off a riot.

If you live near urban areas with large concentrations of likely rioters, what is your plan in the event of riot?

Bob

#251777 - 10/16/12 11:57 AM Re: Riots [Re: ILBob]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Several govt agencies are warning of and preparing for massive civil unrest in this country. I use a Threat Condition Checklist to match current events and maintain a certain readiness level, IAW my contingency plans.

The most important item to plan with is Location, Location, and Location. It is best to live and work in quiet places.

I am currently in ThreatCon 4 which is peace in the kingdom but with a rising crime rate in my quiet area in which I live.

#251778 - 10/16/12 12:19 PM Re: Riots [Re: ILBob]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
The LA riots gave some good lessons.

Situational awareness,ie,dont drive into groups of people. The Koreans that stood on rooftops armed seemed to have protected themselves and property without killing people,so caliber wasnt the deciding factor but apparently armed was a help.

I dont recall them killing people or trials in the aftermath so I guess the suppressive fire was helpful?

Lesson i got was avoid crowds and be prepared to defend your family/property actively.And dont think of it as an excuse to play Rambo and start killing people.

#251780 - 10/16/12 01:44 PM Re: Riots [Re: ILBob]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
Search the forum for "riot". 200 or so posts.

Nomad

#251782 - 10/16/12 01:51 PM Re: Riots [Re: ILBob]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I suspect the next "riots" will be sports induced, either winning or losing the Super Bowl or World Series. It seems to happen on a fairly regular basis.

I was on the periphery of the recent LA riots, but I had defense mechanisms ready, just in case.

#251816 - 10/17/12 02:55 AM Re: Riots [Re: ILBob]
Blacktop Offline

Loc: Cypress, TX
This is something I've been thinking about lately as I work in a rough area of town. Building security isn't a concern as much as getting to or from work safely is. I drive 45 miles each way through some even worse neighborHOODS, and it's crossed my mind that I might have to shelter in place at the office until it's safe to go home. I need to work on a bug-in bag to keep at my desk so that I can have some comfort items to help pass the time.

#251819 - 10/17/12 03:41 AM Re: Riots [Re: Blacktop]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I can't remember ever hearing of a riot in a non-poor neighborhood. They always occur in the poor and rundown areas of large cities. Easy enough for me to avoid. I don't live there. I don't work there. That may sound like a snarky comment, but it's true.

Chances are, if riots ever make it out to the suburbs or nicer areas of the cities, civilization will have totally broken down and you would have the green-light to pull out your firearms and other weapons to protect your family by whatever means is necessary.

#251829 - 10/17/12 01:03 PM Re: Riots [Re: ILBob]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
We work in hospitals,notorious for being in the center of large cities,often bad areas is the norm.

So for us,awareness is key as we try to travel,leaving involves roads easily obstructed by crowds. I sure dont intend to get blocked in,leave space in front of vehicle to pull around,no qualms driving over curbs OR crowds,they best move,Im sure not going to stop and get pulled out AKA Reginald Denny type scenario. I will keep that vehicle moving,NOT STOP.

Wife says if she does get stopped she will deploy her pepper spray anyone breaks a window.OK,time to get a larger one that sprays a better stream for vehicle. I know a lot here dont believe in pepper spray,WE do.

Thanks for thread,discussing with wife right now,also told her If need be a car blocking her escape,just move it right out of way,good Ole Dodge Diesel,it'll move em I would bet.If it doesnt,pull 4 wheel drive lever .....

(mechanical direct connection,love it! You need it,it WILL work,no vacuum or electrical connections or hub locks,part of reason I bought a 1997,last year of the very mechanical no smog testing Dodge Cummins truck,I coulda bought a newer.)

and do the move em out maneuver again.Should move about anything.Just dont stop moving.

I'll deal with the insurance company later,bummer Farmers,LOL!

Im gonna scope out the escape routes from the roads on way to work TODAY,thank you again,great prep topic.Has uses beyond riot too,shooting,road rage, etc.

#251835 - 10/17/12 04:12 PM Re: Riots [Re: ILBob]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
I don't want to make a political statement either, but soon after Nov. 1st, I intend to make sure my car's full of gas, bottled water and food. If a riot starts downtown, I'll move out from the riot faster than the rioters move out.

#251838 - 10/17/12 05:10 PM Re: Riots [Re: spuds]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: spuds
Wife says if she does get stopped she will deploy her pepper spray anyone breaks a window.OK,time to get a larger one that sprays a better stream for vehicle. I know a lot here dont believe in pepper spray,WE do.

Firing pepper spray from INSIDE a car, where YOU are the person INSIDE, is probably going to do a lot more to YOU than to anybody OUTSIDE the car. Especially if you are trying to fire it through a broken window. The spray would be richocheting off of all kinds of stuff - broken glass, window frames, door panels, etc. - right back at you! And if it was a fog type of spray pattern rather than a stream, you just set off something akin to one of those "bug bomb" sprays that you let loose in your house (and then have to evacuate the house for several hours while it dissapates).

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.