The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#251839 - 10/17/12 05:38 PM Re: Riots [Re: ILBob]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I posted this back in 2007. Perhaps yall can find it useful after modifying it to your own needs and situation:

This is what I've put together as a Threat Condition Checklist. It needs a great deal of work and yes, this is a DRAFT edition.
So take your best shots and we'll all have something that is useful!!!

ThreatCon Checklist
Updated 28May07

5=definite threat possibility with no specific intel.
4=event could occur/start in 3 months - no specific intel.
3=event could occur/start in 1 month – no specific intel
2=event may occur/start in 2 weeks - specific intel (includes “special” dates)
1=event may or is occurring/specific intel or news of an incident

ThreatCon 5: Upon setting ThreatCon 5:
HSD (green) Low
MARSEC 1
DefCon 5
1) Have a “Family Plan” of what to do and where and how to meet in the event of an incident. Insure all family members are thoroughly briefed.
2) Ensure that basic supplies are kept at home for a minimum of 72 hours (3 days) sustenance/maintenance.
3) Know where the other family members are, when not at home.
4)

ThreatCon 4: Upon setting ThreatCon 4:
HSD (blue) Guarded
MARSEC 1
DefCon 4
1) Ensure that basic supplies are kept at home for a minimum of 144 hours (6 days) sustenance/maintenance.
2) Know where the other family members are, when not at home.
3)

ThreatCon 3: Upon setting ThreatCon 3: (This is the NORMAL level in the USA)
HSD (yellow) Elevated
MARSEC 1
DefCon 3
1) Ensure that basic supplies are kept at home for a minimum of 3 months sustenance/maintenance.
2) Know where the other family members are, when not at home.
3) Keep fuel tanks in vehicles above the Half Full mark.
4) Sound out your neighbors about the situation and find out what their “worst scenario” concerns are.
5)

ThreatCon 2: Upon setting ThreatCon 2:
HSD (orange) High
MARSEC 2
DefCon 2
1) Ensure that basic supplies are kept at home for a minimum of 6 – 12 months sustenance/maintenance.
2) Keep Family Members close to home. Know everybody’s whereabouts.
3) Keep fuel tanks in vehicles above the ¾ full level.
4) Top off stored gasoline (stabilized) cans and propane tanks.
5) Insure that proper supplies are on hand for special needs persons and for the pets.
6) Sound out your neighbors about the situation and find out what their “worst scenario” concerns are.
7)

ThreatCon 1: Upon setting ThreatCon 1:
HSD (red) Severe
MARSEC 3
DefCon 1
1) Consume foods in the freezer and refrigerator first.
2) Have all Family Members return or stay at home.
3) Top off vehicle fuel tanks, if it can be safely done.
4) Monitor the news/internet to determine the threat and subsequent events that must be guarded against.
5) Sound out your neighbors about the situation and find out what their “worst scenario” concerns are. Attempt to make agreements for mutual aid and defense.
6)

ThreatCon 1CBR: (Chemical, Biological, Radiological)
1) Execute either the “Shelter-at-Home” plan or the “Bug Out” plan.
2) Get everyone home immediately.
3) When time allows, check with your neighbors, help where you can; physically and informationally.
4) Establish basic property defenses, consult with neighbors to enlist their assistance in setting up their basic defenses.
5) Establish a communications monitoring watch ASAP to gather Intel.
6) Get the Kearney Fallout Meter (KFM) online ASAP and begin monitoring.
7) Establish a communications system with cooperative neighbors.
8)

ThreatCon 1J: (Jihadists)
1) Execute either the “Shelter-at-home” plan or the “Bug Out” plan.
3) Arm those that are capable and establish a watch of the property perimeter.
4) Establish a communications monitoring watch ASAP to gather Intel.
5) When time allows, check with your neighbors, help where you can; physically and informationally.
6) Establish basic property defenses, consult with neighbors to enlist their assistance in setting up their basic defenses.
8)

ThreatCon 1 C: (Civil Disturbances/Unrest)
1) Execute either the “Shelter-at-Home” plan or the “Bug Out” plan.
3) Arm those that are capable and establish a watch of the property perimeter.
4) Establish a communications monitoring watch ASAP to gather Intel.
5) When time allows, check with your neighbors, help where you can; physically and informationally.
6) Establish basic property defenses, consult with neighbors to enlist their assistance in setting up their basic defenses.
8)

#251841 - 10/17/12 06:23 PM Re: Riots [Re: ILBob]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Got this spray,and no,it will be deployed when window is gone and they are pulling a Reginald Denny.One per vehicle.About 20 bucks.

I have no fear deploying pepper spray any more than deploying a weapon,Im comfortable I know what Im doing,weve practiced with them.From keychain to LARGE Bear Spray.For BEARS,really,we do go into bear country.

Taser for the Mrs,on the list.Checked some out today.

Further thinking....I think I will velcro a wasp spray in each vehicle,so I wasp spray some idiot perpetrating a felony assault,too bad sucker! The stuff has range and a concentrated spray pattern.We will protect ourselves.Period.

We will NOT be undefended Denny's.They are going to have to WORK to assault us.BTW....BTDT,and got caught flatfooted camping once,never again.Could have turned out deadly,we were LUCKY,nothing else.

Drove the route to work studying all the escape routes from the road,and set up a secondary route for when things are dicey but nothing has happened yet,this route has only one intersection on a main road and can side street all the way out of the town.Gets us out of concentrated population very quickly.

Wildman,excellent situational awareness tree.

6" x 1.5" spray

#251851 - 10/17/12 10:16 PM Re: Riots [Re: ILBob]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
My guess is that a mob that is breaking your car windows out will be on you before you can spray them with anything effective.

car side windows are not especially strong or break resistant like your windshield is.

If you spray from inside a car, you will almost certainly do more to incapacitate yourself than any attacker.

there are really just three things you can do in a situation like denny found himself in.

1. Rev up the engine and get the hell out while running over as many rioters as is necessary to escape.

2. Shoot as many rioters as is necessary to get a chance to engage option 1.

3. take a serious and potentially fatal beating at the hands of the savages.

one thing that a lot of people do not get is that even option 1 is often unavailable, especially with smaller cars that do not have 4WD it is very hard to run over human sized obstacles.

Bob

#251853 - 10/17/12 10:59 PM Re: Riots [Re: ILBob]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

I've seen those news reports and I live in Washington, D.C. two blocks from a street burned out in riots in the 1960s.

I'm not worried about civil unrest in this country.

I'd be more concerned if the Washington Nationals had won the World Series -- this entire city would have gone bananas.

#251857 - 10/17/12 11:47 PM Re: Riots [Re: ILBob]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I don't think there will be any political riots, people care more about sports than any election frown

#251859 - 10/17/12 11:54 PM Re: Riots [Re: Eugene]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
There could be isolated pockets of rioting and serious vandalism. In which case, the idea would be to avoid the area. Just don't be there. I currently live in a fairly quiet part of suburbia; this is where I'll be hanging out unless I decide a road trip to less inhabited areas is in order.

#251860 - 10/18/12 12:32 AM Re: Riots [Re: Dagny]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I'm not worried about civil unrest in this country.

The London Riots (also other Cities in England) were essentially quite predictable. The spark that lit the touch paper to kick off the riots wasn't predictable at all. The UK government was essentially caught of guard (many were vacationing in the south of France and Caribbean) by the way the riots grew and expanded to other areas through Internet social media communications and even by the normally law abiding people that ended up getting involved in the looting and criminality. But I suspect that the USA is quite a different to England due to the fire arms situation and the risk to life being involved in an actual Riot.

The US Federal Government internal security agencies within the USA has some very effective intelligence gathering networks and its recent ammunition purchases indicate that they are possibly preparing for a very serious potential situation on a scale previously unknown.

For example the electronic Food rationing system (administered by a well known Wall Street Banking Firm), which have almost 1/6 of the countries population dependent in the US could be subject to systemic economic failure. Even if this hand to mouth system was recoverable even after a week or two, this could be too late.

I really wouldn't dismiss this as not being a serious issue requiring at least some preparation planning out of hand.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (10/18/12 12:35 AM)

#251863 - 10/18/12 01:32 AM Re: Riots [Re: ILBob]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Ive deployed pepper spray once in a situation. The aggressor suddenly got a LOT less aggressive,without having to spray. Will always be a defensive option for us.I will spray outside my window at someone pulling on me,and spray more if they get me out.

Ive also been hit with back spray,in wind,testing the stuff,its nothing compared to what came out the other end.

There is a reason Law Enforcement has it,and uses it,it has a purpose.

I believe in layered defense and increasing levels of force and legal liability.And its worked.

Remains solidly in my preps.Ive seen what it can do.

YMMV.

#251866 - 10/18/12 04:25 AM Re: Riots [Re: spuds]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
If someone broke my car window and was pulling me out, I would definitely consider that a level of force on their part that could be met with lethal force on my part. The law would be on my side too (at least where I live). If their hands were on me, dragging me out, I would respond accordingly to save my life - and it sure as heck wouldn't be with pepper spray or a stun gun at that point. But some people, due to where they choose to live and the government there, do not have viable options like those of us in other states/countries do. So you have to find out what your personal options are and work within that, or move to a place that allows you more effective options.

The best defense, of course, is to avoid getting into the situation in the first place. Stay away from rioting mobs (duh!)

This video gives a very good demonstration of the effectiveness of pepper spray (on non-violent protesters):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AdDLhPwpp4

#251870 - 10/18/12 07:41 AM Re: Riots [Re: ILBob]
Blacktop Offline

Loc: Cypress, TX
Fortunately for those commuting home on Election Day, the timing of the "final" election results/concession speech will be well after rush hour unless it's an obvious early landslide in favor of Romney. There was an article in the mainstream media recently predicting which 5 cities were likely to see unrest but now I can't seem to find it.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.