Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#251822 - 10/17/12 04:58 AM Re: MRE or not MRE, that is the question. [Re: MartinFocazio]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i should note that i use MRE's on canoe trips because cans and bottles are not allowed.there was a great BBQ chicken in a foil pack at Target but i can't find those anymore.
i also found there freeze dry fruit in foil packs,i bought a bunch for next year just in case they stopped stocking that.
the whole camping food issue has made some huge changes,remember when chicken noodle soup was about all you could could come up with.we would take a loaf of bread and squeeze it flat to save some room in the pack,Spam and flatted bread was a big hit.

#251823 - 10/17/12 07:32 AM Re: MRE or not MRE, that is the question. [Re: MartinFocazio]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
There are a lot of quasi-MRE type foods out there, too. Ortega makes something called tortilla stuffers that's rice with beans and/or chicken in them. There are probably 30 or so shelf stable entrees that I've seen in the grocery stores. Quality & taste varies from item to item but many of them are plenty good to eat while backpacking or in case of emergency. None require water and could be eaten right out of the pouch if necessary.

#251833 - 10/17/12 03:13 PM Re: MRE or not MRE, that is the question. [Re: LesSnyder]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
using the term "gourmet cooking" and references to kidney pie and black or blood pudding

Black Pudding is quite a flexible ingredient to many 'Gourmet' dishes. It would be a useful ingredient to lots of wild game and sea food and some surprisingly good meals can be had especially if some wild edibles (or even other vegetables are in season in the farmers field) are also available. Even a simple camp fire baked potato drizzled with some Olive oil is very tasty.

Here are some 'Gourmet' (compared to MREs wink ) dishes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGD2xT2Enq0 (Pigeon or other wild game such as Squirrel, Pheasant, even Rabbit)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPXOfHg3YrI (if Scallops aren't available try Razor Clam or Crab Meat even Limpets)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_SNHeHn1W4 (if Haddock not available, try pan fried Cod, Mackerel, Ling etc)

Other items I would bring along would be dried Wild Mushrooms and even some stuffing such as Sage and Onion, Cranberry and Orange etc with other dried herbs and spices such as Garlic, Black Pepper, Tarragon, Coriander, Basil, even Curry flavored Stock Cubes etc These items are light weight but can make some plain inedible foods palatable. i.e. The Tabasco hot sauce to be found in the MRE.

Pan Fried Black pudding would be a nice side to even some simple Mountain House Eggs'n'Bacon.

Don't throw away any animal offal. The Liver and Kidneys etc are some of the most nutritious and tasty parts.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (10/17/12 03:21 PM)

#251842 - 10/17/12 06:31 PM Re: MRE or not MRE, that is the question. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
DaveT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
One of my favorite things to have on hand are some of the ready-to-eat Indian dishes, sold in a slim cardboard box that has a rugged pouch inside, and you can either boil it in the pouch or dump the pouch into a dish to microwave it, etc.

Ready-to-eat Indian foods

I haven't shopped online - I've bought them in specialty shops and - from time to time - found them in the Big Lots food aisles.

I've tried MTR, Tasty Bite and Kohinoor brands - I found them all to be quite good, and way tastier than your average choice for shelf-stable meals. I've had to work my way through the menu (still not done) but there are several that are quite tasty and would even be acceptable eaten cold out of the pouch. I haven't run across any with meat in them, but I think pairing beans with rice usually gets you a complete protein (does that include lentils or chickpeas?).

You should probably be able to find some among them that are gluten-free.

#251843 - 10/17/12 07:00 PM Re: MRE or not MRE, that is the question. [Re: MartinFocazio]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Some great ideas,thank you.

#251847 - 10/17/12 08:53 PM Re: MRE or not MRE, that is the question. [Re: MartinFocazio]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I see an MRE as a way to carry or store a completely self-contained hot meal, with no need for fire. For that I think it's useful. I have one case of twelve; I wouldn't suggest more than that for most people.

#251848 - 10/17/12 09:04 PM Re: MRE or not MRE, that is the question. [Re: chaosmagnet]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I see an MRE as a way to carry or store a completely self-contained hot meal, with no need for fire. For that I think it's useful. I have one case of twelve; I wouldn't suggest more than that for most people.

That's my plan as well. I keep 3 days' worth in the plastic tubs that comprise my bug out kits. I can load the kits in the car and have water, food, shelter and heat/light all together. For bug in situations (in my neck of the woods that usually means snow/ice storms) I keep a couple on hand just in case the pantry runs low of staples or to have a break from pasta and soup. I keep one in the cars just for that stuck in traffic forever occasion.

Advantages are no water or heat required (highly desirable, though) to prepare them. Wouldn't use them for extended camping or hiking trips.

#251849 - 10/17/12 09:35 PM Re: MRE or not MRE, that is the question. [Re: MartinFocazio]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

There is also the small matter of cost!

Rice pudding - Mountain House Freeze Dried - £4.09 ($6.60)

Rice pudding - Tesco Vlaue Canned - £0.12 ($0.19)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.