Topic Options
#251896 - 10/18/12 08:47 PM Re: Cheap flashlights [Re: Pete]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Pete
can somebody explain to me the CREE design concept

Cree manufactures LED emitters, which flashlight manufacturers buy to build flashlights with. Cree doesn't manufacture flashlights.

The design concept for multimode flashlights is that LEDs are very flexible, and some folks seem to really like that. However some flashlight manufacturers seem to have realized that there's a market for simply-operated lights, and have come out with lights that can be programmed to use simple user interfaces (Hexbright, HDS), have simple UIs with programmable levels (Quark Tactical), or have UIs that can be used very simply (Maelstrom, EagleTac).

For myself, my EDC light has a reasonably complex UI (Quark Regular) but I've been really digging the twist-head mode change lights I have (Maelstrom, EagleTac).

#251898 - 10/18/12 09:16 PM Re: Cheap flashlights [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Ditto. For everyday carry and use the multimode lights (Quark Pro) are great. It isn't complex, press the button once and the light comes on dim (moonlight mode), touch the button one two three four times and the light gets brighter until it goes back to dim -- fairly straightforward & no programming required.

The Quark Tactical UI in many cases uses the same light output levels as are available with the regular UI, but the user takes two of those modes and programs them in ahead of time. As a for instance, the Quark X123^2 Tactical (now called the (Quark Tactical QT2L-X) I have in my survival vest has the first mode programmed with the medium output of 65 lumens, and the second with the Beacon mode which is a 0-360 lumen pulse, good for 16 hrs. Press the button and the light turns on with a steady 65 lumen output. Twist the bezel and it switches to 360 lumen beacon mode.

Of the two lights above the Quark Pro (regular) is easier to use and has all the modes available, however, getting to the special modes (SOS, beacon, strobe) is not that simple when you’re cold and wet. That’s why I have the tactical version in my vest. YMMV

The Fenix L1T and L2T were similar in that you had two output levels, medium and high. Twist the bezel to switch between the two.

#251901 - 10/18/12 10:03 PM Re: Cheap flashlights [Re: Pete]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
why it is that there are a few bright flashlights in the price range of $10-$30, and then after that the prices seem to jump to $80-$200??

thanks,
Pete2

I find myself drooling over plenty flashlights in the $30-80 price range... wink
(Check out foursevens or fenix for some options in that price range)

But your observation of the price jump is probably correct. The $10-30 range is probably the mass produced "low cost" light. (You find both junk and good bargains in that category). To me it makes sense that reputable brands would have a significant price jump to distinguish themselves from the common "low cost" crowd. But there are exceptions, such as fenix or foursevens, typically starting around $30-35 and up.

Speaking of which - I find myself wanting to try this baby out:
http://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=2421
I can't really stand the cold bluish color of most LED lights, so I'm basically scooping for anything neutral or warm white colored. I really like the super simple 2-mode interface and the no nonsense construction. I've never tested this particular light, but I have good experience with fenix and I see this as a pretty good candidate for a general purpose light you could trust.

The only drawback of E21 would be the lack of a true "low light" mode: 54 lumens absurdely overkill for most close range applications. Somewhere in the 3-10 lumens range is plenty if you're not looking beyond 10 feet anyway, and you get absurdely long run times... (and yes, I know all about headlamps for close range work, but I really appreciate the versality of a multi-mode flashlight that hardly eats batteries at all on the lowest setting).

#251915 - 10/19/12 01:35 AM Re: Cheap flashlights [Re: MostlyHarmless]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
I can't really stand the cold bluish color of most LED lights, so I'm basically scooping for anything neutral or warm white colored.

Is there any way to tell from the specs if a flashlight emits the cold blue? The Fenix LD15 emits the cold blue, but the LD10 emits the warm white, which looks more natural. I don't know which spec tells me the difference.

#251918 - 10/19/12 02:20 AM Re: Cheap flashlights [Re: Frisket]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Saw some nice Rayovac industrial lights ( flashlights and headlamps) today - Looked like solid performers at good prices. Will do a bit of research

#251919 - 10/19/12 03:10 AM Re: Cheap flashlights [Re: ireckon]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: ireckon
Is there any way to tell from the specs if a flashlight emits the cold blue? The Fenix LD15 emits the cold blue, but the LD10 emits the warm white, which looks more natural. I don't know which spec tells me the difference.

Within each batch of emitters some are cooler than others, so depending on the flashlight manufacturer you may get a warmer or cooler light than you expected.

Look at the color temp figures on the emitter spec sheet. Some flashlight manufacturers' "warm white" isn't all that warm. A good manufacturer like Fenix will provide a legit warm white when they say they do. When in doubt look for a review from a reputable reviewer (particularly Selfbuilt) or a retailer that has a good return policy.

#251920 - 10/19/12 03:15 AM Re: Cheap flashlights [Re: MostlyHarmless]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
The LD20 sequence is 5-30-81-SOS with head out of contact. 180 lumens & strobe in contact. 95% of my use is at 5 lumens. It is $20 higher.

#251927 - 10/19/12 04:26 AM Re: Cheap flashlights [Re: ireckon]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: ireckon
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
Does anyone make a DEAD SIMPLE led light that takes 1 or 2 CR123a batteries, with just one or two modes, for a "reasonable" price? I put it in quotes because "reasonable" varies from person to person. Say, $20-ish?

Some flashlights on DX.com are so cheap, it's easier to buy rather than to critique. For example...

http://dx.com/p/new-10b-cree-q5-3-mode-3...0-123406?item=2

That one does look better than most. Still, I don't really *** need *** three modes. Strobe probably has some tactical application but I can't imagine using it while camping. Maybe it would stand out better if you were attempting to signal with it.

Still, that looks like one to put on my short list. Thanks!

#251983 - 10/21/12 03:05 AM Re: Cheap flashlights [Re: Pete]
jmcglash Offline
Stranger

Loc: Ne
jmcglash ... i am taking a serious look at the hexbright. aluminum housing ... has two light modes (hi and lo) ... price is reasonable.

Just one quick update. The HexBright can be ANYTHING you want. The flashlight is programmable just like an Arduino. You want one mode, OK, High only fine, Low for max runtime, Sure, Or how about puch the button and twist your wrist to set the light level. I cant wait to get my lights and kick them around.

spuds said - "Jim, when you get that light will you do me a favor? I wonder if its bright enough to shine light thru hand or maybe sideways at oblique angles in arms to see veins?I might be able to use it to help start IV's."

I had no idea that was even possible. :-)

Either did I but I know I will try. laugh

#251988 - 10/21/12 03:38 AM Re: Cheap flashlights [Re: jmcglash]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Originally Posted By: jmcglash
jmcglash ... i am taking a serious look at the hexbright. aluminum housing ... has two light modes (hi and lo) ... price is reasonable.

Just one quick update. The HexBright can be ANYTHING you want. The flashlight is programmable just like an Arduino. You want one mode, OK, High only fine, Low for max runtime, Sure, Or how about puch the button and twist your wrist to set the light level. I cant wait to get my lights and kick them around.

spuds said - "Jim, when you get that light will you do me a favor? I wonder if its bright enough to shine light thru hand or maybe sideways at oblique angles in arms to see veins?I might be able to use it to help start IV's."

I had no idea that was even possible. :-)

Either did I but I know I will try. laugh

Im not sure either,but you can see other structures so........maybe?

Anyhow,that really sounds like a nice light.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 454 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.