The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#251557 - 10/08/12 09:03 PM Re: Movie: The Grey *spoiler alert* [Re: W4XEN]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
I haven't watched either of the movies mentioned. When I watch Anything on a screen or TV, I put what I saw out of mind once the show's over. I don't trust Hollywood to get anything right anymore.

#251561 - 10/08/12 09:46 PM Re: Movie: The Grey *spoiler alert* [Re: RNewcomb]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: RNewcomb

I felt the movie was more about Faith (and how its tested), determination, and dealing with the loss of a significant other.

The movie was actually about old guys being the leading men, as hollywood adapts to the aging of the baby boom and strives to attract geezers and geezerettes to the cinema by featuring geezers as heroes. No more "grumpy old men", now the septuagenarian saves the day in expendables, and, somewhat creepier, gets the girl.

#251598 - 10/09/12 10:58 PM Re: Movie: The Grey *spoiler alert* [Re: RNewcomb]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
I thought it was OK.

Concur about the accuracy regarding how the wolves were portrayed. Seemed a bit over the top.

Big improvement for Liam after seeing him in Clash of the Titans; now that was terrible.

Blake
www.outdoorquest.blogspot.com

Edited by Outdoor_Quest (10/09/12 10:59 PM)

#251611 - 10/10/12 03:11 AM Re: Movie: The Grey *spoiler alert* [Re: W4XEN]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I didn't like the movie but it made me think .

One guy started to take stuff from the dead ( a watch if I recall) while someone asked others to collect their wallets to deliver to their families.

This got me thinking about a similar scenario where survivors may ( or may not ) invade the dead for items that may help their survival. Say a Bic lighter or anything like that. Even their boots, coats or hats. Would you do it ?

In one scene , Liam Neeson forcibly stops a guy from looting a dead person, and later the dead person was eaten by the wolves. ( all items on him are gone) It makes you wonder if it was better in anyway to let the guy take what he wanted and maybe it proves useful later.

#251612 - 10/10/12 03:35 AM Re: Movie: The Grey *spoiler alert* [Re: W4XEN]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Wolves! You would be lucky to see a glimpse of one 1/2 a mile away in reality. No the real threat lies else where!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdiXSsFp29s

#251656 - 10/11/12 02:21 AM Re: Movie: The Grey *spoiler alert* [Re: W4XEN]
W4XEN Offline
Stranger

Loc: Colorado Springs
Yes, I vote for robbing the dead. However, There is no sense in taking wedding bands or keepsakes that have no survival or rescue value. Watches and wallets...maybe. Watches can provide time of day even a compass if it has a face. Wallets maybe to account later for those who died. Robbing for monetary gain is out of the question for me and if any did so in my survival party, I'd voice my disdain. Of course things like pocket knives and lighters.

#251664 - 10/11/12 07:53 AM Re: Movie: The Grey *spoiler alert* [Re: W4XEN]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I suspect that most of us, in an actual situation, would do whatever is necessary to survive. I recall the true story of the plane crash survivors in the Andes (a soccer team??) that eventually resorted to cannibalism - never mind the niceties about rings, watches, and wallets. Something like cannibalism is horrifying to contemplate, but survival is all about doing what must be done....

#251666 - 10/11/12 02:10 PM Re: Movie: The Grey *spoiler alert* [Re: hikermor]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
Something like cannibalism is horrifying to contemplate, but survival is all about doing what must be done....

Sitting in my arm chair, I think I would eat a wolf (or even a skunk) before even thinking of eating another human being. But you are right. It is easy to say this when you are fed and comfy. In BAD situations we don't know how ugly it can get.

Anyway, guys , another questions springs up from teh movie. What if you are trying to survive with a bunch pf guys and a girl springs out from nowhere and need to join your group. Same scenario as the movie ( you are walking a long distance - maybe 200 mile - to safety. Would you take her or leave her ?? Tough question for me, especially if she is young . Hard to leave her alone and harder to take her along

#251815 - 10/17/12 02:31 AM Re: Movie: The Grey *spoiler alert* [Re: W4XEN]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: W4XEN

- Have a conference/pow wow with the survivors. If your group feels the need to have a "leader", thats great but I think the last thing anybody wants to do is add contention to an already grievous situation. This pow wow would just be to do a communal assessment, identify strengths and weaknesses, form and agree on plans, and just bring about some order to the chaos.

I haven't seen the movie, but regarding the scenario, the issue of a leader is an interesting one.

If say a pilot survived, or another member of the crew, I suspect they would automatically be deferred to as the leader, regardless of their suitability or ability.
So too any person onboard with a uniform (perhaps police or military) would be automatically deferred to as well.

Psychologically, by deferring to a default leader means not having to cope with or confront certain aspects of a very distressing situation.

Conversely, if there is no one in uniform, anyone who appears to be “in control” (by giving orders or directions) would probably become the leader automatically,
because people assume they know what they are doing, and it is easier to not have to think, but go along with what’s asked.

What are your thoughts ?

#251865 - 10/18/12 03:53 AM Re: Movie: The Grey *spoiler alert* [Re: Aussie]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
This is sheer speculation on my part, but I'll bet there is some scholarly literature and case studies on emerging leadership in emergency situations. I have never read up on any of this. Anyone have some references? I'll also bet that there are several factors involved....

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.