Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#251697 - 10/12/12 07:31 PM Re: Fire Safes with Electronic Locks: NO [Re: haertig]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: haertig

Just doesn't seem terribly feasible for your garden variety thief to go lugging an X-Ray machine around to their home breakins. Not really feasible for a high end thief either.

For the garden variety thief, no. But as I said, he was talking about the locks used in government and high security facilities. As in, James Bond level espionage. grin

#251706 - 10/12/12 09:46 PM Re: Fire Safes with Electronic Locks: NO [Re: Paul810]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Paul810
When I was talking to a safe installer years ago, he was telling me about how the mechanical high security dial locks used in government facilities are actually designed to be shielded from radiation.

When I asked him why, he said that, apparently, someone discovered a portable X-RAY machine can make figuring out a mechanical combination pretty easy.

This was one of the driving forces behind a shift to electronic locks. X-RAY an electronic lock and all you can see is the circuit boards.

The good thing about mechanical locks is they've been around for a hundred years, so they have a proven track record.

The bad thing about mechanical locks is they've been around for a hundred years, so they also have well known weaknesses.

I doubt any thief is lugging around x-ray equipment, but there are many other ways getting into the safe. They have auto-dialers on the market that can do a brute force attack in a matter of hours. The smart autodialers can reduce the time it takes from hours to minutes. The actual concept of making one isn't that difficult, they've been made by college students, and I've even read of a simple one made from LEGO's mindstorms.

Now the chances of running into that level of sophistication is pretty low, maybe. If you're unfortunate like this person , and someone knows what you have, then a few thousand dollars might not seem like much for potential payoff of millions.

However, regarding the switch to electronic, I think one of the main reasons was more for convenience, not so much the added security. It's a lot easier to teach people to punch a keypad than dial a combination lock, it's easier to change combinations, and less maintenance too.

Regardless, I don't think the locks are the weak point of any safe, just as the locks aren't the weakest link in a house. It's a good discussion, but not one that I think people need to really worry too much about.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, NAro), 354 Guests and 88 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.