The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#251846 - 10/17/12 08:47 PM Re: Your pets. [Re: spuds]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
This is my walking buddy, Ziggy, He's mostly Jack Russel Terrier (or Jack Russel Terrorist to our two cats). He's nearly 11 and still as feisty as he was as a pup. His pack carries a couple of meals, booties, spare collection bags and an extra lease. I learned through this forum that dogs shouldn't carry more than about 10% of their body weight. (Think ETS regular Susan taught me that, where has she gone to?)

We keep a week or two of dry food in 5 gal plastic tubs for both the cats and the dog, usually have some pet meds on hand (our vet trusts my wife's instincts for recognizing when they aren't feeling well). My first aid kits include vet wrap and gauze for them. We do need another cat carrier for a bug out situation but we could get all of them with food into the car in an emergency in just a few minutes.

Both the cats are neighborhood rescues. I think cats must have the ability to sense which houses are feline friendly, all of our cats have adopted us!

#251852 - 10/17/12 10:58 PM Re: Your pets. [Re: spuds]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
My brother has been working with his guard dog. Looks pretty buff to me.......

Attachments
new dog 1.jpg

#251882 - 10/18/12 02:30 PM Re: Your pets. [Re: spuds]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX
thanks spuds. casey really is special, much as you describe Girl.

#251884 - 10/18/12 02:41 PM Re: Your pets. [Re: spuds]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
I really like the saddlebags on the dogs. I may have to pick up one of those sometime.

#251908 - 10/19/12 12:44 AM Re: Your pets. [Re: spuds]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Thats some smile Izzy,gotta love it! He looks like one happy dog! grin

==========================
Ziggy, He's mostly Jack Russel Terrier (or Jack Russel Terrorist
==========================
Yup,that about covers it,they sure are active.Grew up with a lot of terrier mixes,fine animals,smart as a whip.Great for kids with all that energy too.

============================
All of my daughter's fish have died now. Maybe hundreds of them over the years. I think they are haunting our house, but they don't say much since the fish never could talk.
============================
LOL Ken,thats funny! Wife got a big chuckle too!

#251977 - 10/20/12 08:28 PM Re: Your pets. [Re: spuds]
W4XEN Offline
Stranger

Loc: Colorado Springs
I've been thinking about getting an animal for survival. I'm not a cold, heartless person but just thought it would be more trouble than its worth. Rolling the idea around in the noodle some, my first thought was well if it comes down to it, I am keeping a food source close by. I know I know...that's pretty cold, but honestly it's true if it gets bad enough. Now on to much warmer and happier thoughts.

I've had a lab before and he was a great dog. Now, due to apartment living, the YL (my girl in ham speak) and I have a cat. I'm not sure what a cat can do in a survival situation lol other than the aforementioned food supply. Of course, I'd go the dog route. My question is, can you train your dog to ACTUALLY protect you adequately? Every time I go on a maintenance hike, I see runners, usually female, running with a big huge dog. I can't help to ask myself, is the dog just psychological protection or actual protection. I asked a co-worker of mine who matches the dog/jogger description and she said it's just more psychologically comforting than anything and if anybody didn't have her best interests in mind, that the dog probably wouldn't do anything other than think somebody was playing with it. I know there are other points besides the protection factor when it comes to dogs, like an early warning system, warmth, hunting, and many more. Doesn't the extra time and money invested in an animal have a pay off better than not having one at all?

#251979 - 10/20/12 10:12 PM Re: Your pets. [Re: spuds]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Protection varies. Girl has stopped 2 people in their tracks out with Mrs,she has slime-oid radar,as she perceives,homeless smelly types are NOT encouraged.Had a guy in dirty camo step on to trail from hill as Mrs entered,She was up on hind legs and lunged towards him,Mrs hadnt seen him.

Another was a homeless guy she passed that Girl just didnt like and got into offensive mode.I think she judges by smell a LOT.

Snookie has a different philosophy.NOBODY is trusted so she is always wary of strangers.And makes that clear,she doesnt do happy smiley puppy actions,more slinking and wary showing you arent welcome until introduced and still....she is tense for a good while.

Snookie will CHARGE ANY threat,Fearless of everything....Girl holds back and see's what Snookie is into before making her move.She used to charge too,until Snookie grabbed a skunk and sprayed Girl with it! shocked Boy was Girl PO'ed! Knocked Snookie around but good for that!

Girl will standby quietly and watch and assess a threat down the street,thats a good thing,doesnt alert them they are being watched. Not Snookie,Its here I am,come get me!

Nobody,including family,comes thru our gate,snookie goes wild dog,all you see are noses and teeth and serious barking at gate.

Both just their normal personalities. Both very home/vehicle defensive,both great appearance deterrents.In fact if I dont like the look of something I make sure they see the mutts,and the mutts get a good smell of them.

So Yes,to a degree they will defend. Both also will meet other animals as we walk and if its a problem put themselves between us and threat.Happened to me and Girl twice,and she is such a sweetie I was surprised she went out to meet the threat,and did.She took a bite for the home team,but got one back and coulda kicked dogs behind had I let her.

Ive spent thousands over the years in health costs on mutts,I too believe they are to be treated as well as finances allow,how I was raised.

#252123 - 10/23/12 05:06 PM Re: Your pets. [Re: W4XEN]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Along these lines,an internet friend on the other side of town was just burglarized a couple days ago.

They had left their home for less than 24 hours. They used a ladder from their garage to get to a second story window.The guns not in a safe were stolen,along with other things,and 'the house was trashed'

No,they dont have dogs.

Last night we had people skulking around on street in the fog.Fools,they dont realize sound travels blocks here at night.So I think it was the local meth trade types/customers out there,I hadnt seen guy before.HOWEVER,he DID get to see 2 wild dogs acting like they would like nothing more than to eat him for a night time snack.And dogs filed him away as THREAT,so they are for-armed should he return.

BTW,next couple times dogs alerted in house,I slipped out first and dogs didnt make a peep alongside me,I LIKE that,and its something they just learned,to follow my lead.They are amazing animals dogs are.

Up here,for most part,its the druggy crowd that is the threat,dogs are the answer to a large degree IMO,we havent been victimized in yard or home.

Not to say thats all encompassing,Ive had a car stolen off the street when I first moved here,turned out my new next door neighbors were skin head drug dealers (and Baja Bug car thieves too),they are gone and we own that property now,but thats another story.

So thats one of my Deterrent stories.....I really believe thats valid.

#254430 - 12/08/12 07:56 PM Re: Your pets. [Re: spuds]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

A day at the dog park

Snooky in foreground is my Ferrari,Girl the GSD is a freight train

Always a pushover for a ball or squeeky toy.Young couple were throwing it for their young GSD who wouldnt chase it,Girl ran off with it,he said we could keep it,his wont chase it anyhow,Christmas and Secret Santa for Girl.

Freight train coming!!!

This fellow has a GSD named Nana,very shy and timid,right until she perceives a possible danger than she leans on Dads leg and assumes the position,ears up....good girl Nana!

#254466 - 12/09/12 11:25 PM Re: Your pets. [Re: spuds]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Here's my mutt. Sierra was supposed to be my hiking/camping buddy when I was single, but she can't go more than 1/2 mile on a good day, at a stretch.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 446 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.