Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#251573 - 10/09/12 11:35 AM Where do you shoot?
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
This thread is about where you go to shoot.....

This is our local gun club.Its a great deal,50/year for a family.About 20 acres fenced area,maybe more?

We are just plinkers,not into any of the competitive/combat training shooting things.

This is the picnic area

Looking North is the rifle/pistol range,see our Bud is there,retired fella,has great collection and always wants you to shoot his toys,you name it,he seems to have it.We go early in the week,usually only a few retired fellas there that seem to have a lot of old military rifles and some real classic old rifles,and dogs are welcome in that group.

To the left down a short hill is the trap and archery area.The muttsters love being able to run here,area seldom used and dogs not at all bothered by gunshots

Here Mrs gets in some shooting with the 10-22.Got a 3x9 scope for it,amazes me what an accurate gun,Mrs is a fine shot!Plus women rarely go there so the old guys LOVE having Mrs shoot every gun they bring(and she loves to shoot em all) and being proficient she is very popular there.

Nice place,we try to go at least twice a month,been over a month,going today when sun rises,cant wait!

#251577 - 10/09/12 12:47 PM Re: Where do you shoot? [Re: spuds]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
mostly organized matches... brief history

IHMSA Metallic Pistol Silhouette...79-81
USPSA practical pistol 82-date
Chevy Truck Sportsman's Team Challenge 95-98
5 North Carolina Tactical 3 gun Matches until 9/11
6 Ft Benning 3 gun matches
local 3gun, practical rifle, practical shotgun
skeet, 5 stand, sporting clays, bowling pins

2 or 3 pistol and one long gun match a month..USPSA has been a rewarding sport for 30 years... good people, picked up a little skill along the way

Edited by LesSnyder (10/09/12 12:48 PM)

#251580 - 10/09/12 02:24 PM Re: Where do you shoot? [Re: spuds]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

NRA range in Virginia.

#251581 - 10/09/12 02:59 PM Re: Where do you shoot? [Re: LesSnyder]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
picked up a little skill along the way
Yup,just a little.... grin

#251583 - 10/09/12 03:08 PM Re: Where do you shoot? [Re: spuds]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
Everywhere.
I am fortunate that I live where shooting is allowed on most of the land I travel. I try to shoot at least one round every time I hike.

I find doing one round from a cold gun to be a great training tool. One shot at a safe target. It Has done wonders for my skill. Sometimes it is a snapshot, sometimes carefully aimed. But only one try allowed.

Nomad

#251592 - 10/09/12 05:34 PM Re: Where do you shoot? [Re: Nomad]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Originally Posted By: Nomad
Everywhere.
I am fortunate that I live where shooting is allowed on most of the land I travel.

Would be great to know where is that paradise exactly smile

In the SF Bay Area we have a lot of restrictions on shooting even at dedicated places. I have been shooting my .357 and 12ga at every range reviewed on this website. And everywhere the rules are different in the fine print and the range masters attitude. The especially "high attention" is given to my Russian made semiautomatic shotgun "Saiga 12". Even though it's quite widespread gun in the U.S., some bans it here without an explanation, some may ask to remove it from the range because of other (jealous?) customers complaints, some don't even bother asking what is that on my shoulder...

I'm dreaming about my own ranch where I could shoot whatever way I want.

#251602 - 10/10/12 12:46 AM Re: Where do you shoot? [Re: spuds]
Bill_G Offline
Journeyman

Primarily a private shooting club.

#251606 - 10/10/12 01:37 AM Re: Where do you shoot? [Re: Alex]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
Originally Posted By: Alex
Originally Posted By: Nomad
Everywhere.
I am fortunate that I live where shooting is allowed on most of the land I travel.

Would be great to know where is that paradise exactly

Why Arizona. To my east for 120 miles is a native american nation. To the west is the Barry Goldwater Bombing Range. North is 90 miles of military and BLM land and south BLM to the Mexican border. Az permits concealed carry without a permit for almost everyone.

Most of the military areas are open after a simple training/permit process Don't kick shiny things on the ground. Must have 4x4 and be prepared for self rescue. No full automatic fire after dark.

Some of the most untouched remote land I have ever traveled.

Nomad.

#251622 - 10/10/12 03:19 PM Re: Where do you shoot? [Re: spuds]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
We used to shoot at a local place called the Bridgeton Township Sportsman's Association, but I got kicked out for suggesting in an email that they maintain their Facebook page and do more to recruit new range members. No, really. Apparently they no longer want "just shooters" in the club, only hunters. Whatever.

Now, the only place I shoot is in my own back yard, which is a tad problematic for anything larger than a .22, both from a noise perspective and because my backstop really isn't up to the task for anything much larger and I don't want to build it up anymore than it already is.

I used to shoot IPSEC up at the Hellertown PA gun club, a nice facility, but it's a bit of a drive and I don't have the time anymore. There was a real rough and tumble public range at Nockamixon State Park, it closed years ago because of fears that it wasn't safe (low berms, etc..)

If there was a way for me to open a public range that I could charge admission to, I would, but I seriously doubt that I could find the combination of land and location needed. There's a quarry not far from me that will, one day, be a perfect outdoor range location, but it's still very much active.

#251624 - 10/10/12 04:23 PM Re: Where do you shoot? [Re: spuds]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX

just out the back door (42 plates on the handgun range),
and then a couple hundred yards up the hill on four rifle ranges i've built (28 swinging metal plates running 100-1000yds):

one of the four rfile ranges:

i posted these just to make you guys jealous... ;-)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 406 Guests and 76 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.