The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#251485 - 10/06/12 05:26 PM Movie: The Grey *spoiler alert*
W4XEN Offline
Stranger

Loc: Colorado Springs
Just finished watching The Grey with Liam Neeson. It kept me engaged the whole time but it always makes me cringe when in group survival mode like that, one or two bad apples seems to significantly decrease the chances of survival for the whole group.

I know this is armchair quarterbacking, but here's what I would have possibly done:

- I know an airplane crash is an event that would shake anybody up so regaining composure is a top priority in the minutes and hours following the crash

- Just like in an airplane when you make sure your O2 mask is on, to help the next person with there's is the idea. You can't help anybody when your dead yourself. So, after composure/quick assessment is good, help others.

- Have a conference/pow wow with the survivors. If your group feels the need to have a "leader", thats great but I think the last thing anybody wants to do is add contention to an already grievous situation. This pow wow would just be to do a communal assessment, identify strengths and weaknesses, form and agree on plans, and just bring about some order to the chaos.

- If the plan is to stay put, fortify your location (not just against wolves but the weather more importantly). If the plan is to move, leave behind indicators and markers that there were survivors and the direction of travel respectfully.

- Scavenge everything, including the cockpit which probably has maps.

- Figuring out where you are (situational awareness) is a top priority. If you don't know that, then you don't know where your going. "Downstream" and "North" aren't really that useful.

A parting note. I think survival in a group with cohesion greatly increases ones chances of survival however if I ever thought that I would be better off on my own, see ya later.

#251489 - 10/06/12 09:33 PM Re: Movie: The Grey *spoiler alert* [Re: W4XEN]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
It's fiction, right? Drama, not a training film, right? I don't think Hollywood movies make very good guides for behavior. One exception - I was about fifteen when I saw Gene Kelly in "An American in Paris" - now that was a training film...

#251490 - 10/07/12 12:12 AM Re: Movie: The Grey *spoiler alert* [Re: W4XEN]
W4XEN Offline
Stranger

Loc: Colorado Springs
It is fiction, and definitely not a survival guide. Survival-esque movies like this one are sometimes like my gold pan. Every now and then, there might be some nuggets among the chaff.

#251494 - 10/07/12 03:28 AM Re: Movie: The Grey *spoiler alert* [Re: W4XEN]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I would hopefully make for a boring movie. After surviving that crash, I'd turn on my SPOT2 and see wait around for a bit.

#251497 - 10/07/12 05:49 AM Re: Movie: The Grey *spoiler alert* [Re: W4XEN]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I really loved the movie (big Neeson fan) but I was annoyed by the way the wolves were portrayed. Honestly I wish they'd have made it a werewolf movie since that's basically how the animals were portrayed. It's shameful even in a popcorn flick like this that in this day and age we'd have such a blatantly ridiculous depiction of wolves.

Still, fun flick if you can get past the absurdity of it. Great double twist ending, too.

#251506 - 10/07/12 04:48 PM Re: Movie: The Grey *spoiler alert* [Re: W4XEN]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
It was worth watching for a movie

#251516 - 10/07/12 07:13 PM Re: Movie: The Grey *spoiler alert* [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
It is productions like this that lead to the popular misconception that wild animals of various sorts are a significant threat in the outdoors.

#251517 - 10/07/12 08:54 PM Re: Movie: The Grey *spoiler alert* [Re: W4XEN]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
It was 2 hours of my life I want back. Horrible movie on so many levels. Poor acting, bad special effects, sheer idiotic moves on everyone's part ....

Wife made me watch Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close last night. It was worse - at least I finished the Grey.

#251530 - 10/08/12 02:24 AM Re: Movie: The Grey *spoiler alert* [Re: W4XEN]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Talking about bad,Frozen has to be one of the worst movies Ive ever seen.

#251546 - 10/08/12 03:09 PM Re: Movie: The Grey *spoiler alert* [Re: W4XEN]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
I liked this movie.. not for anything really related to survival however other than that kinda cool Breitling 'SOS' watch "No MAS" pilfered and thought was going to save them.

I felt the movie was more about Faith (and how its tested), determination, and dealing with the loss of a significant other.

I didn't like how the wolves were portrayed at all.. I have a very hard time believing they would be that agressive... but I'm an urban guy. I don't get off the beaten path much.

If you actually make it through all the credits, there's a final scene that help complete the ending btw... well, a little anyway.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.