Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#251360 - 10/02/12 02:37 PM Re: More bad news about BPA in food packaging [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Well, AFLM, in the spirit of common ground I can certainly join you in opposing tariffs and subsidies.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#251421 - 10/04/12 06:05 AM Re: More bad news about BPA in food packaging [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I am not all up on the GMO stuff, I eat as clean as I can, cleaner than most. Looking back on my life, I have done far worse things to my body in one night of drinking or one endurance event than all the times in my life that I thought I got something from eating a genetically modified product. Honestly I would probably eat a GMO fruit or veggie over a Snickers bar.

I know that people that want to push a proposition in California for labeling GMO, (prop 37, IIRC) are getting their word out every where they can.

The OP regarded BPA in soup. To be honest, the entire time I read this thread I kept thinking, "Where is Blast? Why hasn't he chimed in?" The report he produced on the 'scam' of BPA in plastic really opened my eyes and I have put him on my top shelf of trusted sources on chemical components in everyday living.

GMO, BPA, HFCS, good, bad. If someone can lose 50 pounds eating corn that lasts longer in the season because its been modified or tomatoes because they are cheaper and larger or drink Gatorade instead of beer out of ten year old Nalgene bottles. Fine. Great. Better to lose 50lbs that way than die of the condition I consider obesity induced death because I can tell you from experience organic foods are more expensive and don't store as long.

#251432 - 10/05/12 12:22 AM Re: More bad news about BPA in food packaging [Re: comms]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
The OP regarded BPA in soup. To be honest, the entire time I read this thread I kept thinking, "Where is Blast? Why hasn't he chimed in?" The report he produced on the 'scam' of BPA in plastic really opened my eyes and I have put him on my top shelf of trusted sources on chemical components in everyday living.

Blast is finding it harder and harder to care. If people want to bring back the Dark Ages, let them. Blast will enjoy being King of the Wasteland, ruling his foolish peasants with a chemical fist.
-Blast, practicing his third-person royalty-speak
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#251434 - 10/05/12 12:51 AM Re: More bad news about BPA in food packaging [Re: Blast]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Bear in mind that Blast is an Extreme Chemist. He probably think everything is made of chemicals smirk

#251442 - 10/05/12 02:27 PM Re: More bad news about BPA in food packaging [Re: Blast]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
His majesty will find it hard to deal with the Fire King of the East. Perhaps he should relinquish his lands and accept my past offer of a cabinet position instead. You will be hansomly rewared.

Come now, instead of "First Chemist and Minister of Demolitions" how about "Supreme Chemist and Knight-Commander of Texico and the Surrounding Blast Radius"?

Be warned, I have a copy of the Evil Overlord List and plan to follow it to the letter.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#251450 - 10/05/12 06:45 PM Re: More bad news about BPA in food packaging [Re: thseng]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: thseng
Come now, instead of "First Chemist and Minister of Demolitions" how about "Supreme Chemist and Knight-Commander of Texico and the Surrounding Blast Radius"?

Blast, hold out for "Minister of Kaboom."

#251459 - 10/06/12 01:20 AM Re: More bad news about BPA in food packaging [Re: chaosmagnet]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Originally Posted By: thseng

Blast, hold out for "Minister of Kaboom."

I'm thinking The Enchanter formerly known as "Tim".
[video:youtube]http://youtu.be/JTbrIo1p-So[/video]
-Blast

Edited by Blast (10/06/12 01:21 AM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#251519 - 10/07/12 11:06 PM Re: More bad news about BPA in food packaging [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
17% of men will get prostate cancer.#2 cancer in men. The cost to remove BPA from canned food is a whopping 2.2 cents per can.

When you get prostate Ca,would 2.2 cents per can seem ridiculous to you for removing a chemical that we dont need in our diet?Thats found in 93% of the populations urine.

When you put constant estrogen into your body.....the result is not going to be a good thing in any event,why would you want it in your food?

When you get prostate ca,my bet is you will wish you had never seen BPA,in any event you wont be chuckling about it.

My 2 best friends have prostate Ca,one is dead,other says today was told he is facing surgery.Neither found it amusing.I have BPH,bet a lot of you do too.

Do you need synthetic estrogen going after your reproductive organs when it doesnt need to be there?

And the cost to remove it is 2.2 cents per can of food?
===============================
March 1997: Studies show BPA to be toxic at levels that are in people. Just four years after EPA reaffirms its BPA safety standard, Fred vom Saal at the University of Missouri-Columbia finds that low level exposure to bisphenol A harms the prostate. This is the first of many studies from academic labs that will find harmful effects of BPA at levels of exposure far below the government's BPA safety standards, in the range of what is found in people. Over the next 11 years the body of literature on low-dose BPA toxicity will grow to include more than 100 publications linking BPA to breast and prostate damage, early puberty, behavioral problems, and other effects at levels up to 25 times lower than EPA's "safe" dose. [vom Saal's landmark 1997 prostate study]

#251523 - 10/07/12 11:47 PM Re: More bad news about BPA in food packaging [Re: spuds]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I had prostate cancer and treated it about six years ago. The procedure was simple - I was discharged same day; after one semi-rough night, life went on as normal. One exception, my physician cautioned me that young women should not sit on my lap for the next six months. I am quite sure that several ladies threw themselves off a bridge when they herd this awful news...

Prostate cancer is very common. I doubt seriously that it results from any single substance or any single source. Monitoring is key; catch it early and you have several options which can be quite effective (like my seed implants). Late detection - not so much.

The trend now is toward watchful waiting. Many more of us will die with prostate cancer than from prostate cancer.

Best wishes to your friend on his surgery. I understand there are robotic techniques which are effective, with lessened side effects.

#251529 - 10/08/12 02:15 AM Re: More bad news about BPA in food packaging [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Apparently robotic isnt advisable on his for some reason,he is back tomorrow for further consultation.They are talking radical prostatectomy.Will be his third surgery from bladder and now prostate in about a year,so outlook is poor.First problem was the BPH and away he went.Elevated PSA,prostate not cancer,then bladder wall is ca and now prostate is cancer.

Congrats on your good outcome.

Agreed,more than just one cause,but to add to risk for why? Beats me.It just isnt good to put estrogen life long into our healthy bodies.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.