Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#25144 - 11/15/06 12:09 AM Re: Earplugs for Another Purpose.
ScottRezaLogan Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pttsbg SWestern Pa USA N-Amer....
Thanks for your Thots! Though here your Musical Tastes differs very much from mine!

I too Like and Love from a Broad Range of Music Styles or Genres! I Center primarily round 60s-70s Easy Rock! -Glen Campbell, Jackie DeShannon, Petula Clark, Joe South, the Peppermint Rainbow, the Fifth Dimension and Friends of Distinction, Brazil 66, Bobby Goldsboro, Gary Puckett and the Union Gap! Etc etc etc!

In the next layer around the Core of that "Musical Onion" of mine (to Recall Neuronboy's "Preparedness Onion"), -would come those Good and Great Ole 50s and 60s Oldies! Along with the Vast Majority of Country Music, a lot of Blues, Soul, and R & B, a Fairly Good amount of Jazz, a lot of the Gospel and some of the Christian, Adult Contemporary and Middle of the Road, -even some Disco! ("Do the Hustle!" from 1975 is one of my All Time Favorites! From all Music!). Closer to the Outer areas of that Onion would come some Classical etc, -and some other Category that I've just Forgotten! God there are also some Unmentioned Others! 70s Music generally speaking is Closer to that Core, and 80s, 90s, and 2,000s (Minus their Rap and Hip Hop of course!), -come in some of the next outgoing Layers. And I can't Neglect things like Patriotic and Christmas Music either! Even some Chilhood Nursery Rhymes, etc, -still have their Fond Appeal!

Generally speaking, -the Easier, the More Tasteful, the More Upbeat, and the More Inspiring and Meaningful the Music!, -the More it is there in or Near to my "Beloved Musical Core"!. The Louder and Lower it is!, -the Farther Outside!, -or even Beyond the Range!, -it is with me! The Vast Majority of Rap and Hip Hop, -so Qualifies in this my latter here! Along with Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, etc!

But I will say that the Hard Rock that I found Objectionable, and I was Turned Off to!, -back in my Younger Days, -now sounds like Paradise! Next to most Hip Hop and Rap!

At least Rock Says Something! Though I know you'll say, perhaps with some Correctness, that Rap and Hip Hop also does. Still Part for Part, Peice for Peice, -I think I can find 10 instances where Good Ole Rock and Roll!, -Really Says Something! Whereas Rap and all Doesn't!

So while I too am considerably Broad Ranged and Eclectic in my Musical Tastes, -and am Not Tied Down just Solely to my 60s-70s Easy Rock Centerpiece! -The likes of Rap and Hip Hop!, -certainly would *Not* be counted among them!!!

I'll try to Reply minimally here. Though it looks like I won't entirely suceed at that! After just having described my "Musical Onion", in the Above! But I'll still Try! -Due to this topic's quite OT / Off Topic nature, relative to "Survivi-Prep",-even here around the Campfire.

So now to Address and Respond to a few of the Obs and Points you've made,-

Well if its a part of the Larger Culture, and it undeniably is, -Then the Culture's gone Sad, Sick, and Pretty Far South!

And as I'm sure I said in my original post, -the Playing of such Large, Loud, Hi Volume and Hi Decibal "Music" *is* an Infringement upon Others! Surrounding Others.

There may well be some Good, Upstanding, and Noble Elements sprinkled thruout Hip Hop and Rap, -there may even be plenty more than a little, of such Sprinkling. Though much of this may also account only for an Apparent Facade of such.

But whatever the case there, -Still the whole overall Bag that it all comes in!, -is Bad! LTN, LCD, and LOO Bad!

I Hear what you're saying about Slang, "At Ease" time with your Friends, etc! But what I've said in the above paragraph, -Applies likewise here as well. As far as I'm Koncerned.

I mean all of the above, in a Civil, Constructive, and Respectful Way! And am *Not* all "Snap Snap Snap!" or "Ice Ice Ice!" at you, of a Way! Just so this is basically Known! As you may Well Know anyway, -had I not even said it!

And finally for a Constructive Comment on a part of your Post Signature. This does relate to Survivi-Prep. Where it says that you can't add time to your Life by Worrying on this or that!

First Off, -I Second that from you! In an all round, general sort of way.

But in Survivi-Prep, -the Gear you've got for yourself, the Practice you've gone about, the Know How that you've Read Up on or otherwise Acquired, the Fire, Shelter, and all that one's so Learned to Build & Maintain, -These *are* cases where some "Pre-Worry", -*can* definitely add some time to one's Life! I just wanted to make that Observation.

Concerning Rap and Hip Hop, -and what I and many others feel to be its Utter and Ultra Objectionability!, -It got so I had to *Stop* listening to Top 40, -back round 89 or so! And this from a guy who otherwise *wouldn't* have so Stopped! Rare Gems such as those by Selena, Celine Dion, and Vanessa William's "Colors of the Wind"!, -were indeed Sprinkled thruout! And I Unfortunately had to pretty much Miss a lot of them! Thats what you get though, -when you find the Gold buried in with the Predominant Gunge! But Top 40 and Rap had it!, -that I had to so Stop!

So it could in some ways be said, -that since I don't Listen, -How could I so Comment!? Well I *Can't* be Swimming in that Sewage filled Pool! Thus the Non-Listening!

But every time I yet again See and Hear a Hip Hop Rap Car go Blaring by!, -or otherwise have to Hear such in the Surrounding Culture that you speak of, -I Know that the Brap *hasn't* Ended! / Is Hot and Heavy as Ever! / And yet has No End in Sight! And so Know that I must continue to Sit this one Out! Here on my "Musical Jury"! [color:"black"] [/color] [color:"black"] [/color] [email]supermark[/email]

Edited by ScottRezaLogan (11/15/06 12:44 AM)

#25145 - 11/15/06 12:16 AM Re: Earplugs for Another Purpose.
ScottRezaLogan Offline
Old Hand

Thanks! We at least Agree on L.L. Cool J !

Now let me Try to Keep from Cluttering up this thread with Posts!

Enjoy your Cool J !

(So long as he also doesn't do what I'd consider "Bad Stuff"! But how would a "Forced" Non Listener to this whole Genre like me, -so Know!?). [color:"black"] [/color] [email]supermark[/email]

#25146 - 11/15/06 08:33 PM Re: Earplugs for Another Purpose.
brandtb Offline
Addict

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania
Rap / Hip Hop makes my hair hurt.

That having been said, what about those ear plugs?

I wear them on the train to work so I don't have to listen to somebody yammering on the whole way to Philadelphia (who are they talking to at 7:00 in the morning?). But when I get off the train, I think it's dangerous to wear them on the street.

You have to be aware of your surroundings. Especially in the city, what with traffic and people who want to share your money.

#25147 - 11/16/06 02:06 AM Re: Earplugs - ANy specific type?
Equipped4Chicago Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Chicago
I work in a loud enviroment ( in respects to not music but nature of tugs and big metal containers). I'm considering ear plugs. Is there a specific type? brand?

As with all items discussed in this forum, I'm sure there is. This forum helped me appreciate difference in whistles, firestarters, flashlights, etc. So I'm sure earplugs might have a word or 2 about them

#25148 - 11/16/06 04:48 PM Re: Earplugs - ANy specific type?
brandtb Offline
Addict

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania
I bought a box of 200 sets from a web site (I don't remember which one) for about $20 plus S&H about a year ago. I got Howard Leight brand "Max Lite." They're foam, bullit-shaped, and last a long time. I use them for commuting, swimming, and sleeping. You can get them with or without neck cord.

Do a search on "howard leight" & Max Lite"

#25149 - 11/17/06 12:25 AM Re: Earplugs for Sonic II
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
I bought a pair of Sonic II ear plugs years ago. They claim to have an opening that allows for 'normal speech' to be heard but that 'closes' when loud noise is present. The metal insert that fits into the (I think) silicone is removable and allows the silicone to be cleaned. They have always served me well. They are very comfortable even for long term use. I would readily reccomend them.

Though I don't know exactly where to get them anymore.

#25150 - 11/17/06 02:55 AM Re: Earplugs for Another Purpose.
311 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NY USA
The most important reason for wearing earplugs is to protect your hearing. Earplugs are not for wear on the street or in circumstances that dictate listening for hostile sounds. If you work in a loud area & don't wear them, your hearing may be damaged & inoperable when you need it most. I have found that in a noisy environment, I can understand speech better if I am wearing earplugs. I like the ones that are bell shaped of multicolored rubber. I got them from a past employer; they're supposed to be disposable but you can use them more than once. I do not remember the brand.

#25151 - 11/21/06 09:52 PM Re: Earplugs for Another Purpose.
ScottRezaLogan Offline
Old Hand

Quite Right! I can't be Blocking Out *other* Important Warning Sounds! In the process of Blocking Out any "Rap Brap"!

Rap and even Rock too!, -at the Sound Levels often enuff played, -can of course damage and diminish one's Hearing as well!

And these Dudes Driving around "Blasting their Rap"!, -I don't know how they can Hear Important Roadside Warning Sounds either! Amidst all their "Clutter Jutter"! [color:"black"] [/color] [email]0311[/email]

#25152 - 11/21/06 09:56 PM Re: Earplugs - ANy specific type?
ScottRezaLogan Offline
Old Hand

I'm not in any Specfic Know, Sorry! But its quite Likely enuff that Others here are! If so, -Someone Please Answer and Help Out the Guy here!,... [color:"black"] [/color] [email]Equipped4Chicago[/email]

#25153 - 11/21/06 10:00 PM Re: Earplugs for Another Purpose.
ScottRezaLogan Offline
Old Hand

Indeed, -Can't be Blocking Out *other* Dangerous Warning Noises! Time to Take them Off, when say leaving the train. [color:"black"] [/color] [email]brandtb[/email]

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.