Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#251440 - 10/05/12 09:04 AM Re: can to much current events be a bad thing? [Re: greenghost]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Dont know about time frame,there are riots going on in Spain and Greece that arent being covered here at all.And we do have a tendency to be pulled into these events.

AFLM,thanks for the links,gives me and the Mrs something new to watch,appreciated.

#251443 - 10/05/12 04:01 PM Re: can to much current events be a bad thing? [Re: greenghost]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
Can't think of any riots over the european economy you've been pulled into before. Or any other riots for that matter. There's a difference between sensible prepping and survivalism. You are virtually certain to be safe. Look at the statistics.
qjs

#251457 - 10/05/12 10:43 PM Re: can to much current events be a bad thing? [Re: greenghost]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

WWII???Dictator Hitler rose to power in the extreme of an economic collapse.

The rest as they say is history

#251460 - 10/06/12 01:23 AM Re: can to much current events be a bad thing? [Re: spuds]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Spuds,
The last couple of posts were about us getting pulled into European riots. We didn't get pulled into WWII until well after Hitler crushed Poland and France and was at war with England. Even then, we didn't declare war until Japan bombed Pearl Harbor and German subs started sinking our ships.

It took a great deal more than mere riots to pull us in, I think. smile

#251472 - 10/06/12 10:30 AM Re: can to much current events be a bad thing? [Re: greenghost]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Economic failures topples govs,bringing in extremists.No Hitler,likely no WWII.

We are seeing economic failure now (Rioting in the streets) and govs being toppled already,happening already with govs being replaced and the shift of wealth from West to East,repercussions follow.

The shift shows a surging Chinese military and a lot of rumbling now coming from them.Ask Japan,our Nato ally,how things are going vis a vis the Chinese.This affects all Nato members.

There will be changes as power/wealth shifts.History shows war is often the result.

Economic failure and war are intertwined.Military powerhouses tend to fight before fading away,or fight to exploit weakness.

#251476 - 10/06/12 12:34 PM Re: can to much current events be a bad thing? [Re: greenghost]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

So Japan is in the North Atlantic now? :-).
Governments come and go all the time, no one is saying 'lets have a war'. The governments that are being toppled are being voted out, not by a coup. How does that threaten anyone? Least of all someone with the Atlantic between them and the toppling.
China isn't going to declare on it's market. And no one is going to start a war with the USA. Which could probably defeat the rest of the world combined. Besides how does this affect greenghost? He looks too old to be drafted.
relax; all is well.
qjs

#251477 - 10/06/12 02:06 PM Re: can to much current events be a bad thing? [Re: quick_joey_small]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Respectfully, if your assessment of the world situation is that it presents a direct threat to your well being, the question posed in the thread title is answered in the affirmative. Not to say that your scenarios are impossible, but they are very low probability.

Everyone's situation is different, but I am more concerned about prepping for wildfires and earthquakes. Even civil unrest is fairly far down the list. I like to stay informed about world events, but not out of concern for my family's safety. Politics will always be with us, like heart disease and cancer.

#251478 - 10/06/12 02:47 PM Re: can to much current events be a bad thing? [Re: greenghost]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Back to the OP:

Modern news, by its very nature, floods us with situations that are out of our control. That can be depressing, even paralyzing. But it's a distortion of the world as it really is.

A wise news anchor once said that every newscast should start with "in 99.5% of the world, nothing bad happened today ... now here's the rundown on the 0.5%."

Sounds like you've come to an important realization, though, that there's more going on in your personal situation. It takes real stones to admit that all is not well (I've been there). I sincerely hope you will act on it.

Talk to a physician. Get it out there, on the table. The old chestnut of "man-up and pull yourself up by your bootstraps" only goes so far. If your heart was wildly palpitating, or you leg was broken, would you see a doctor? Of course you would. The brain is an organ like any other, and a long list of events can throw a wrench into its operation.

There is daylight at the end of the tunnel. Reach out and grasp it.

-Doug

#251487 - 10/06/12 07:46 PM Re: can to much current events be a bad thing? [Re: spuds]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
It's SEATO ( SouthEast Asia Treaty Organization) that Japan is a member of.

No offense intended.

#251498 - 10/07/12 09:15 AM Re: can to much current events be a bad thing? [Re: greenghost]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

I find a walk in nature is a guaranteed mood booster!
qjs

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 423 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.