Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#251320 - 10/01/12 08:45 PM Stability vs. Perceived Instability.
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
My question is this:

Why do so many people perceive that society is so fragile and ready to break at any time when all of the evidence says otherwise? Yes there are outlier cases, but they are vanishingly small. Open societies have proven to be incredibly resilient compared to closed ones.

#251325 - 10/01/12 09:23 PM Re: Stability vs. Perceived Instability. [Re: MartinFocazio]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Murphy's Law #9 (???) is the answer to your question. The more complex something is, the more likely that the $0.25 part is to fail at the most critical time and it will bring the entire machine or thing to a complete screeching halt!!!

#251327 - 10/01/12 11:03 PM Re: Stability vs. Perceived Instability. [Re: MartinFocazio]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
Martin,

I agree with you. I'm sure there are a lot of well thought out, informed, scientific studies that support the premise as well. But since I don't happen to have any sitting around let me just propose something off the cuff. While it's pretty simple to eliminate one human being, intentionally or not, it's really very hard to get us all. Nature (and sociopaths) has been trying to kill off the human population (or some specific segment of it) for a long time and has failed every time.

Diversity is the key, whether it be in the genetic make up of humans that thwarts the pandemics, or the diversity of an open society that can improvise, adapt and overcome because of the inherent freedoms of thought and action. It's just really hard to hit the moving target humans and their societies prsent hard enough to wipe them out.

It's easier with monocultures. Just ask the Dodo bird or the Mayans (about that end of the world prediction, what's up with that?). But all of us? Completely? In an instant?

Ain't gonna happen unless our sun goes super nova a lot sooner than expected.

Martin, I've gone beyond your original post a bit but I share your non-pessimism about the world as we know it. Living thru the Philles meltdown of 1964, or Joe Kuharich as the football coach of both the Eagles and my alma mater, Notre Dame, and still retain a sense of optimism about the world means that something in our nature as humans makes us run towards the abyss believing that by the time we get there someone will have built a really nice bridge...

#251330 - 10/02/12 12:24 AM Re: Stability vs. Perceived Instability. [Re: MartinFocazio]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl

Potential explanations:
1.It is a lot more fun to prepare for zombie apocalypse than to confront the inevitable decline into senility culminating in cardiac or respiratory death.

2.We have fabulously safe streets and fabulously safe water but spend billions on bottled water and firearms: victims of marketing.

3. The sample you have selected follow the ETS website: the rest of the world is better adjusted.

4. All doomsayers are wrong except for the last one.

5. Pessimists are always pleasantly surprised; optimists are always unpleasantly surprised.

6. A forum of people discussing the assertion that everything will work out for the best, no worries, would be very tedious.

#251331 - 10/02/12 12:47 AM Re: Stability vs. Perceived Instability. [Re: MartinFocazio]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
My answer is the complexity of a lot of necessary systems - water, food, electricity, transportation.

I think that the fact that more breakdowns don't occur is a tribute to engineers who keep the system running with chewing gum and baling wire fixes.

#251344 - 10/02/12 07:59 AM Re: Stability vs. Perceived Instability. [Re: MartinFocazio]
LED Offline
Veteran

Maybe they watch too many "black Friday" videos on youtube of people assaulting eachother for $5 toasters. wink Or the panic buying of water and food before hurricanes, etc. It seems fairly common that when people perceive a shortage of something, whether real or imagined, they tend to go bonkers. Of course mass media sensationalism has a lot to do with encouraging that irrational behavior.

#251345 - 10/02/12 08:29 AM Re: Stability vs. Perceived Instability. [Re: wildman800]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas

Originally Posted By: wildman800
The more complex something is, the more likely that the $0.25 part is to fail at the most critical time and it will bring the entire machine or thing to a complete screeching halt!!!

"For Want of a Nail ..."

That rhyme is over 500 years old.

It's all about Chaos theory, which makes my head hurt: when do small changes in the initial conditions of a system lead to large differences in results? I don't think a civilization qualifies as a chaotic system in a mathematical sense, even if "common sense" suggests otherwise. But if control is sufficiently centralized such that changes in one particle (the dictator) affect every other particle, maybe it can be mathematically chaotic.

PS. This weekend I had to fix a 150 terabyte storage system that shut down when a $0.50 fan failed. I think that's what Wildman was referring to.

#251364 - 10/02/12 03:48 PM Re: Stability vs. Perceived Instability. [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Yes I was James, but also how that could apply to a civilization as well.

#251369 - 10/02/12 04:07 PM Re: Stability vs. Perceived Instability. [Re: wildman800]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
From my understanding, "Chaos Theory" applies more to equations and simulations rather than to real-world systems.

Most real-world systems are much more robust than we imagine, otherwise we'd all be long gone.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#251370 - 10/02/12 04:32 PM Re: Stability vs. Perceived Instability. [Re: thseng]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
See Michael Crichton's novels-Jurassic Park, Next, State of Fear for illustration by a smart guy of chaos theory applied to practical science, and power structure interests in maintaining a frightened electorate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.