Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#251255 - 09/29/12 04:20 AM Re: More bad news about BPA in food packaging [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Edit: Original Study found. I don't have time to go over it until next week.

Anyone have a link to the test data on the GMO issue? Skin tumors are a common occurrence on lab mice so the pictures in this thread are meaningless without the corresponding numbers (dosage, delivery time, rat weight, specific lab rat clone series the test was run on, etc...). There may be a problem or it may be hype. Until I see the data myself I'm not going to freak out.

My two cents.
-Blast

Edited by Blast (09/29/12 04:34 AM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#251257 - 09/29/12 01:12 PM Re: More bad news about BPA in food packaging [Re: Blast]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Originally Posted By: Blast
Edit: Original Study found. I don't have time to go over it until next week.

Anyone have a link to the test data on the GMO issue? Skin tumors are a common occurrence on lab mice so the pictures in this thread are meaningless without the corresponding numbers (dosage, delivery time, rat weight, specific lab rat clone series the test was run on, etc...). There may be a problem or it may be hype. Until I see the data myself I'm not going to freak out.

My two cents.
-Blast

Skipping to the second to last sentence in the conclusion might save you some time:
Quote:
In conclusion, our data presented here strongly recommend that additional long-term (up to 2 years) animal feeding studies be performed in at least three species, preferably also multi-generational, to provide true scientifically valid data on the acute and chronic toxic effects of GM crops, feed and foods.

Emphasis added. Ok, so I'm being a little bit unfair since scientific reports are supposed to point out possible sources of error and suggest further experiments. But if, as they say, they suspect the "natural" pesticides produced by the GM corn plants are to blame for the observed indications of possible toxicity, wouldn't the next step be to isolate those substances and study thier effects?

It seems that science these days seldom asks the really useful questions.

Someone once gave us some "Homeopathic Teething Remedy" tablets. When two or three little beads were placed on a cranky baby's tongue, he was instantly comforted. What powerful substance could have such an instantaneous and powerful effect? Worried, I looked at the "active ingredients" and found nothing but a couple of herbs diluted literally one million times. The "inactive ingredient" was... sugar. Duh.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#251275 - 09/29/12 07:58 PM Re: More bad news about BPA in food packaging [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
I am progressively losing my Normalcy bias as I think it will make for a better survival strategy in a world of vested exploitative interest.
=========================
You better believe it! Normalcy bias,thats a true thing for sure we need to protect against.
---------

Up to this point the only evidence put forward by Monsanto in the early days were 3 day feeding studies.

You wouldnt accept that for your meds,but your food? Without it even being labeled?

Telling that Europe doesnt want the stuff,same as BPA. I will follow the money and politics before taking on that risk,now we have the first lifetime studies,ever,on GMO's,the evidence says....be aware of possible risks.

Weird things happening in agriculture,be proactive.Like in your other preps,not reactive or inactive,thats a poor choice in your other preps.So should be in prepping your body IMO,thats what its all about after all,getting your body thru life's dangers.

There were early indications statins had problems ( BEFORE approval),the manufacturers knew and covered up those studies and didnt submit that data,now the dosages have been reduced....now that the patents have expired they are admitting,Oh BTW,this stuff can damage your heart.Best selling drug in history up to now,maybe its been surpassed,dont know,but we are talking billions and billions,and withheld info on dangers.

Follow the money,evil/greedy people will kill you for a buck,its history's story.Thats not tinfoil,thats reality.

Same story,be aware of possible risks,no statins in this house (fill in your drug,the list of killer drugs is huge),no heart damage either....like many now have.And took Decades to manifest. Glad I listened to my researcher friend who put it on the radar for me from the get go.

Be safe and keep informed and be ahead of the curve,just like you are in other areas,BOB,BOV etc etc.

#251276 - 09/29/12 08:08 PM Re: More bad news about BPA in food packaging [Re: dougwalkabout]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
When a thread goes off the rails, we members (and by extension Mr. Ritter's foundation) are all tarred with that same "tin foil hat" brush. So I believe it is quite proper to speak up.

If a corporate recruiter asked me about my online activities (and they do ask), would I be proud to list my participation in ETS? Not the way things are going. They would take one look and say "crackpot!"
Doug,You are correct,speaking up is appropriate and you are voicing your opinion,good on you.... however,being aware of SCIENTIFIC studies regarding food/drug studies is hardly 'crackpot' IMO.

No twitter/facebook here. Search away!

I post nothing that I dont stand by regarding my health/safety. I still have that right to freedom of speech and thought in America, (Not withstanding forum policies,they have a right to what is allowable on their site) at least for now.Im not giving that up to some corporation. Not me.

They have problems with you being informed on what scientific studies say about what you ingest and what others think about same,well.....I wouldnt be working there

THESE are MY opinions,NOT DOUGS!

Edited by spuds (09/29/12 08:46 PM)
Edit Reason: Dont want to impact Dougs employment due to MY opinions on health/safety and survival

#251277 - 09/29/12 08:54 PM Re: More bad news about BPA in food packaging [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

I'll back off on this topic,getting waaaay too heated.Dont need the bad juju being voiced IMO,not good. If you feel the need to delete this thread no hard feelings here.I guess survival on a cellular level is not in the radar of many.

But my final thought is simply this,be informed and keep your mind open,you can perhaps avoid a terrible fate by keeping informed,up to date and ahead of the populace.

#251334 - 10/02/12 01:33 AM Re: More bad news about BPA in food packaging [Re: Blast]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I just finished reading the scientific paper which seems to have started this latest hubbaloo.
http://www.biolsci.org/v05p0706.htm

The researches performed a more detailed and statistically-valid study of the effects of three gmo corns than Monsanto's original study. Their conclusions were:
1. There might be a hint of an effect, but most of the effects were very random* in nature (no pun intended) and could not be assigned to a particular cause.
2. The few effects (renal issues) that were relatively consistent were consistent with very low levels of RoundUp pesticide poisoning. The researchers thought this was as or more likely than the some unknown effect from the gmo corn.
3. More $tudies should be done.

*one rat would have an enlarged adrenal gland, another would have a slightly swollen liver, etc... basically, only a few rats developed some issue, and each rat had a different issue from the others.

After reading the study I really couldn't find anything that would cause a scientist to freak out, which leads me to believe Russia's recent banning of gmo corn from the USA is politically-based rather than science-based.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#251338 - 10/02/12 03:26 AM Re: More bad news about BPA in food packaging [Re: Blast]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
The researches performed a more detailed and statistically-valid study of the effects of three gmo corns than Monsanto's original study.

Indeed, they did! Yet we have in the conclusion;

Quote:
However, in the three GM maize varieties that formed the basis of this investigation, new side effects linked to the consumption of these cereals were revealed, which were sex- and often dose-dependent. Effects were mostly concentrated in kidney and liver function, the two major diet detoxification organs, but in detail differed with each GM type. In addition, some effects on heart, adrenal, spleen and blood cells were also frequently noted. As there normally exists sex differences in liver and kidney metabolism, the highly statistically significant disturbances in the function of these organs, seen between male and female rats, cannot be dismissed as biologically insignificant as has been proposed by others

Shocking isn't it, an effective abandonment of safety critical testing for a product that would eventually be consumed by hundreds of millions of people throughout the world and not just for 90 days either.

Sections 2.2. 'Data collection' and 2.3. 'Statistical power related to the experimental' design are probably some of the strongest scientific criticisms I have seen in a published paper. About as strong a criticism without actually stating 'Scientific Fraud' on the part of Monsanto. This is an appalling state of affairs.

So lets assume, even if 90 days consumption of the Monsanto product only gives rise to 0.01% (this would be statistical insignificant i.e. completely unmeasurable in relation to the size of the test group in this paper) for human related liver and kidney disease leading to premature death for a 320 million test group. i.e. 32,000 human premature deaths.

Russia is indeed correct to ban the import of these Monsanto products even if based on the precautionary principle on products that have NOT been adequately tested for safety during the original safety testing by Monsanto, which itself is an appalling conflict of interest let alone a scientific one.

The mass human experiment continues.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (10/02/12 03:52 AM)

#251340 - 10/02/12 04:12 AM Re: More bad news about BPA in food packaging [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Carpal Tunnel

A strange part of this story with regard to the banning of a food stuff product by Russia, which is heavily consumed within the USA, i.e. A huge proportion the GMO Corn varieties is being synthesized to HFCS through an industrial biochemical process and is found in so much food consumables that it is actually quite hard to avoid (there is even controversy even in informing consumers as to foodstuff which originates from a Genetically mutated intellectual property Patented source) is that the story has received virtually no amount of attention by the media. Normally these type of media stories are jumped on with nationalistic furore and indignant outrage. crazy

Another question is for example, does the BT toxin remain intact throughout the synthesized HFCS process??

And to re-iterate once again, the only economic justification for these Monsanto GMO products to even exist in the first place is down to economic trade sanctions on Cane and Beet sugars and Government subsidy by the US funded tax payer as the vast majority of GMO corn production is processed into synthesized sweeteners.

GMO Corn production is a solution to a problem that only exists put there by the US Government.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (10/02/12 04:13 AM)

#251341 - 10/02/12 04:12 AM Re: More bad news about BPA in food packaging [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
So lets assume, even if 90 days consumption of the Monsanto product only gives rise to 0.01% (this would be statistical insignificant i.e. completely unmeasurable in relation to the size of the test group in this paper) for human related liver and kidney disease leading to premature death for a 320 million test group. i.e. 32,000 human premature deaths.

That's 90 days of the lifespan of a lab rat/mouse (Normal for a mouse is 2-3 years in captivity).
Does the report list the ingredients of their diet or was it nothing but GMO grain? It was a mixed diet. Did they consume a normal amount or was it all they could eat?

Assuming an average of 2.5 years, that would be equivalent to a human eating the same diet for 7.4 years.

ADDED:
It would be interesting to see the results of a LARGE population study carried out over most of the lifespan of a rat.

Edited by UTAlumnus (10/02/12 04:22 AM)

#251342 - 10/02/12 04:35 AM Re: More bad news about BPA in food packaging [Re: UTAlumnus]
Carpal Tunnel

I think it is virtually impossible to get a handle on the numbers of potential human premature deaths from this single study, which was attempting to repeat the original Monsanto safety study, but the fact that the study sees any physiological changes even in Lab rats is a concern. Hence the studies conclusion that further more detailed and verifiable studies are performed including other species, dosages and varying consumption timescales (even generational studies). You perhaps could extrapolate an order of magnitude indication i.e. 1000s, 10,000s, 100,000s or even millions of human premature deaths. Considering the size of the human experiment it will probably not be so small that the actuaries don't pick up on it.

Unfortunately the horse has already left the stable. It will be down to life insurance actuaries to work out the human death rates in the countries when/where the Monsanto product was consumed. Although saying that it could be masked by the vast numbers already succumbing to the actions of the synthesized sugars known as HFCS, currently causing the already known public health problems of its known induced diseases such as Obesity, diabetes, heart disease and cancer.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (10/02/12 04:47 AM)

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 395 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.