Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#251323 - 10/01/12 08:53 PM Re: Re-thinking the BOB philosophy [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Bug out bags for Hotels sounds good, the main problem though, how to bag a room and how to get there with the rest of city of London, LA or New York deciding that a Hotel would be the place to head off too as well.

How do you book your room, if communications/power are out, how do you pay when most Hotels require a Credit Card and won't accept cash.

Hoping to bag a room, when you eventually get to your hotel of choice could be quite a risky option if you don't have something to fall back on in the BOB.

Having slept on the floor of many an airport, I can assure you that hotels are preferable, but not necessary.

Let us also evaluate several recent situations in NYC and London and see what happened.

Most recently, Hurricane Irene, an event in which yours truly was ordered to abandon his shore vacation by the Governor of the State of Delaware, and also a time where large swaths of New York City were placed under evacuation orders. Yes, the hotels filled - but the shelters opened and nobody who wanted a bed didn't have one.

Back a little further, 2003 - the great east coast blackout (again, I was on vacation...). Not only were hotels unable to process credit cards, cash machines were out. So they took a pad and paper, wrote down the guests information and charged them later. Or let them stay for free.

London's subway bombings. The city was shut down. Yet the milk got delivered, the electric got generated and life went on.

Over and over again, I think we see a fragile, ready to fall apart society when we forget just how strong our desire for stability and order is and how powerful the idea of "Keep Calm and Carry On" really is.

I think we could all take a lesson from this guy:

#251324 - 10/01/12 08:59 PM Re: Re-thinking the BOB philosophy [Re: gonewiththewind]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: Montanero
I travel frequently and to a wide variety of environments. My BOB goes everywhere with me, it just may change its appearance (switch to an environment appropriate bag) and lose some things that can't go on an airplane (until I retrieve my checked baggage, then it returns to its normal composition).

You still check bags? Really? I've just plain given up on checking bags after having stuff stolen - repeatedly - out of my bags.
I sometimes used to check a handgun with my luggage for trips to where my CCW permit was honored, which made the luggage less likely to be tampered with, as those bags are monitored, but since I go to LA all the time now, that's not really an option anymore. How do you deal with the extra 45 minutes of waiting time at each end of your trip? I have to involuntarily check bags every now and then, I can't stand the wait for the bags at landing.

#251385 - 10/03/12 02:25 AM Re: Re-thinking the BOB philosophy [Re: TeacherRO]
lordnoble Offline

Loc: Upstate NY, USA
This all great stuff and certainly great food for thought. I'll have to see how I can start some of this now as I build my GHB/BOB.

-Jason

#251389 - 10/03/12 10:15 AM Re: Re-thinking the BOB philosophy [Re: TeacherRO]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Looking over the contents of many Bug-Out-Bags, I noticed that they are heavy on wilderness survival/ camping items. In my mind most of the time I'll be bugging out to a hotel, shelter or relatives house. Prob 99% of the time.

You have come to a good site for this discussion! Let me encourage you to take another look.

Your scenario includes some assumptions that might let you down. First, there is the assumption that you will travel safely and arrive as planned, but how will you deal with a different outcome? Second, there is the assumption that you will arrive at a location which has all the resources you need, but what if some or all of those resources are not available? Third, there is the assumption that your relo

#251390 - 10/03/12 10:24 AM Re: Re-thinking the BOB philosophy [Re: TeacherRO]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
The strength of this community is in its challenge to the assumption that everything will be okay because somebody else will take care of us. Being "equipped to survive" asks us to prepare as best we can for the opposite assumption.

A BOB is to give us independent survival resources and is not built on the assumption we will arrive safely and on time. Most BOBs look like wilderness encounter kits because theyy are designed with the thought that the thin veneer of civilization can be just that.

#251393 - 10/03/12 11:43 AM Re: Re-thinking the BOB philosophy [Re: MartinFocazio]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I usually have to carry to much to be able to carry it all on the plane, unavoidable. I have never lost anything out of a bag, and never lost a bag. I have had some show up late, but they got there.

#251394 - 10/03/12 01:51 PM Re: Re-thinking the BOB philosophy [Re: TeacherRO]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I have found that TSA will not search my bag if I ziptie each compartment shut. Ziptying the the zippers togther, that is.

I have found their notice of search in my bag (not sealed) and I have seen where a bag was searched (my E&E Kit enclosed) with no notice being left. I haven't "lost" anything yet.

Should be noted, I don't fly commercially unless there is no other choice.

#251398 - 10/03/12 07:06 PM Re: Re-thinking the BOB philosophy [Re: TeacherRO]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I fly a lot. I have had a lot of damage to luggage (I use rolling duffel bags now, they last longer, hard side get destroyed quickly) but never lost or anything stolen. I have had things broken. My baggage almost always gets searched, likely because of the stuff I carry (survival gear, field gear, electronics). I have begun to Fedex Pelican cases to myself with my more expensive or sensitive stuff. It is reliable and safe, and there is insurance, so an incentive to actually get it there unharmed. My company has a Fedex account, so it is easy. Since my travel is for work, I don't have to pay out of my pocket for shipping. Most hotels are pretty good about receiving shipments like that.

#251399 - 10/03/12 08:25 PM Re: Re-thinking the BOB philosophy [Re: gonewiththewind]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Like Montanaro, I've never had any luggage lost or anything stolen from my luggage. A few late bags, but everthing always arrived eventually. I too have had good success with rolling duffles.

The few problems I've had with late bags have generally been when I've had to make connections, espcially when using more than one airline. Hence I fly direct whenever possible, or try to make connecting flights on the same airline.

#251401 - 10/03/12 10:26 PM Re: Re-thinking the BOB philosophy [Re: TeacherRO]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Mont,darn clever the shipping idea,never would have thought of that.

Havent flown once since TSA,avoid it,thankfully not required by job.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 414 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.