Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#250930 - 09/14/12 01:56 AM Re: Non Motorized BOV/Transportation [Re: hikermor]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Can't find the info about the hand carts. I would love to read up on them - sounds interesting....

Take a look here on Google Images.

A couple of years ago, there was PBS show on the Mormoms and although the focus of the show was more centered on the history and controversies of the church, it also featured segments on the journey that the people made across the states to Utah in the 1800's. The show is online at PBS and IIRC, there was some info and mention of the handcarts they used. Part I is here. Part II is here.

John Lubbock

#250931 - 09/14/12 02:00 AM Re: Non Motorized BOV/Transportation [Re: spuds]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
OK,bike trailers.

I recently purchased a BOB Ibex Trailer. It has been very good, but I swapped out the supplied tyre and inner tube for more durable expedition grade ones (Schwalbe Marathon etc). The 4130 cromoly steel frame has reasonable well engineered construction. It now works in conjunction with a rather retro looking Mountain bicycle built from a frame (A Columbus Nivachrome Silver soldered fillet design) I welded together back in the early 1990s (so no energy sucking suspension front or rear). It even has some retro Cinelli Spinaci Trekking Bar Extensions cool , which are basically triathlon bars for Mountain bike bars. Decent quality bicycle parts are now rather shockingly expensive (so are the Bicylces), so I decided to go retro where some bargains could be had (New Old Stock) to keep the costs down. Many of the retro bicycle parts are actually engineered more robustly than the modern gear.

http://www.bobgear.com/ibex

It allows for more carry weight than panniers/racks and will attach much more quickly to most mountain, road and cyclo cross bicycles. I just need to remove the rear wheel skewer and use the BOB one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND0SERkAAtw

The suspension swing arm for the trailer wheel works really quite well. It even has 4 water bottle mounts.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (09/14/12 02:10 AM)

#250934 - 09/14/12 03:10 AM Re: Non Motorized BOV/Transportation [Re: spuds]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla

Edited by LesSnyder (09/14/12 03:11 AM)

#250936 - 09/14/12 03:47 AM Re: Non Motorized BOV/Transportation [Re: LesSnyder]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Thanks - fascinating read. how did we ever manage without Wikipedia?

#250940 - 09/14/12 12:57 PM Re: Non Motorized BOV/Transportation [Re: spuds]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

When attending winter warfare training in Alaska while in the Army, we spent a lot of time pulling sleds. Of course these were for on the snow, but the concept with wheels works well. it would take just as much conditioning as riding a bike to get used to it. There are many options, and options are good. You just have to find one that suits your abilities and needs.

#250942 - 09/14/12 01:32 PM Re: Non Motorized BOV/Transportation [Re: spuds]
LCranston Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nebraska
so are we trying to move ourselves, or stuff?

I will stick with the Bike as the best self mover- at least if leaving from home.

20.00 for a used mountain bike at goodwill- cheap, available parts, tough, mobile, and fast. Even if you are out of shape, as long as there is flat ground, you will move farther.

But....

I am at home 10 hours of a 24 hour day. I don't have room in my 12 yr old Subaru Forrester for a bike, even a folding one....

I have not settled on a model for my car, but I have experimented with a kick/razor scooter. My kids have several folding models that weigh under a pound. Even without practice I still went 5 MPH for about 1/2 a mile, and was not out of breath. I know I can do it with a small backpack.

I am intrigued by this site- http://www.cambiecycles.com/scooters.html adult sized scooters- under 200.00 Not sure if would fit in a car.

I think I would argue that moving people faster is in "most" cases going to take precedence over more stuff slower. Me plus bike plus 30 pound pack= 10+ MPH. that gets me from Omaha to Minneapolis in 4-5 days, assuming 8 hours travel. I am 43, and in average condition. Your solar powered scooter will pass me on day 1, but unless you can find a way to recharge, I will get there first. I suspect that the bike pulling the stroller would be harder, but still, the mechanical advantage is hard to overstate...

I am willing to be wrong- maybe your bug-out is only 5 miles away, and not stocked;

#250943 - 09/14/12 03:03 PM Re: Non Motorized BOV/Transportation [Re: LCranston]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
If you're serious about a bike, get a chromoly (chromium-molybdenum steel) frame. They will flex just a tad and provide a more comfortable ride. They also last longer. Notice that the Long Haul Trucker, Trek 520 and Novara Randonnee have chromoly frames.

Many of the mountain bikes I've seen lately have carbon fiber or aluminum frames and shock absorber suspensions; they're lighter but they don't flex which is one reason shocks became necessary. I have an old Scott mountain bike w/ chromoly frame, no need for a suspension fork- I like a simple bike. All I've done with this bike in 20 years is replace tires and chains. I took it in to REI for their bike maintenance class and replaced the tires, chain and other stuff and then learned to adjust everything -- good class.

One other thing you'll want on a bike is plenty of braze-ons (threaded eyelets et al) for attaching racks and whatever else you need to attach. This is another reason chromoly steel is the way to go. The Surley Long Haul Trucker has plenty.
$.02

#250948 - 09/14/12 04:29 PM Re: Non Motorized BOV/Transportation [Re: spuds]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Great subject

How about tires that are inflatble vs non-inflatable

In SHTF situations, a flat tire is bad news that makes a bad situation even worse. However I have read mixed views on non-inflatable tires like traction or comfort. Anyone has any experience ?

#250949 - 09/14/12 04:53 PM Re: Non Motorized BOV/Transportation [Re: spuds]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Chisel...with a small hand air pump and a couple of nylon rim tools ...you can change out a tube pretty quickly with quick release rims and cantilevered brakes, and be back on the road...for me it's easier to replace with a new tube than try to patch as the glue when once opened doesn't usually last....down here we have a weed called a sandspur, and the dried burrs can puncture a tube pretty easily... since changing to a heavy duty thorn proof tube, have not had a problem... there are kevlar belts available to protect the tube...

as AFLM commented, the articulated rear suspensions use up a lot of energy...if you run across a GT with a solid aluminum block in place of the elastic absorber, ask whoever stole it to return it...I miss it...

#250951 - 09/14/12 05:57 PM Re: Non Motorized BOV/Transportation [Re: spuds]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Will re-post my bike + trailer photo in this thread. Also, my Honda Element, teardrop trailer and the hitch-mounted bike rack:

Attachments
BIKE.jpg (18748 downloads)
Teardrop SNP.jpg (462 downloads)
Teardrop-2.jpg (632 downloads)
bike trailer 3.jpg (464 downloads)
Bike trailer 5-001.jpg (6412 downloads)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (7point82), 595 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.