The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#250952 - 09/14/12 05:58 PM Re: Non Motorized BOV/Transportation [Re: spuds]
Greg_Sackett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: KC, MO
As a touring cyclist I have some experience with hauling gear over distances. Personally, I prefer panniers for gear on a bike, but I do have a Burley trailer for my kids. Burley also makes a cargo version. They are probably the best of the two-wheeled trailers.

As our British friend mentioned, the BOB trailer is another touring favorite. Very well made but with only one wheel. This makes them track very well off road, but less experienced riders may have trouble with them.

There are even serious cargo trailers that some of my friends (who live car free) use to move refrigerators and the like with their bikes. Bikes at Work

Before you start hauling loads though, check your gearing. If you try to pull any weight with standard road bike gearing, you will destroy your knees at the first small incline. Proper gearing is important, even with relatively light loads. Low gears and high cadence will save your knees and your legs for the long haul.

I usually carry under 50 lbs of gear touring (plus 30ish for the bike), but I know people that carry 120+ while "expedition touring". One of my friends rode out LA during Katrina. He cruised past miles of cars sitting on the highway while pulling a trailer. Much faster than a car in that instance.

I have found that riding pulling my daughter to be pretty good training. She just turned 5 and with the trailer weighs about 50 lbs. You can definitely notice that on the hills. I have never pulled our dogs, but they are about the same weight and would probably work out about the same.

Unfortunately, it can be hard to find a bike shop that carries decent touring gear. There isn't much profit in it, so I can't blame them much. Without a good shop though, it can take a bit of trial and error to find the gear that works best for you and what you want to do with it.

Greg

#250953 - 09/14/12 07:13 PM Re: Non Motorized BOV/Transportation [Re: spuds]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

How about ways to carry gear on the bike such as saddle bags? I am not an experienced bike camper, but I have seen some bike riders out there with a TON of gear loaded on their bikes.

#250956 - 09/14/12 07:58 PM Re: Non Motorized BOV/Transportation [Re: spuds]
Greg_Sackett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: KC, MO
I use panniers, front and rear. I prefer them to pulling a trailer but it is an individual choice. You need good racks to carry any weight at all. I like Tubus racks, but there are other good ones. Cromoly racks will be stronger than aluminum, and more durable.

For panniers, there are lots of options, but the best are probably Ortlieb and Arkel. The Ortliebs are waterproof and generally are one big compartment. The Arkels have one large compartment and lots of others for better organization. It's personal choice as far as what works for you.

I use Ortliebs and then use smaller camping bags inside for organization. I have ridden through lots of rain with them and everything stays dry (except me of course). You can check out some options at Adventure Cycling. They have tons of knowledge about touring equipment.

Adventure Cycling

Greg

#250957 - 09/14/12 09:56 PM Re: Non Motorized BOV/Transportation [Re: Greg_Sackett]
Jolt Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Maine
Another option for waterproof panniers is to make your own out of square buckets with lids (ask for them at a local bakery, or use the ones kitty litter comes in). It's easy to find instructions online and they're easy to make with a few simple pieces of hardware. Much cheaper than buying fancy panniers. The only downside is that the lids can be a pain to get off.

Here's a link to the instructions I used to make a set a while back: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/index.html?doc_id=1841

Edited by Jolt (09/14/12 10:02 PM)

#250958 - 09/14/12 10:36 PM Re: Non Motorized BOV/Transportation [Re: spuds]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: spuds
OK,bike trailers.Knew nothing about em so did some googling.

Apparently Burley is one of the better and they are all over craigslist for 1/2 to 1/3rd of new retail,an example...Apparently the 2 kid version is good for 100 lbs but I saw an ad where a 230 lb guy says his can support his weight.

Yup, Burley is good stuff. I am really happy with mine, and I have used it quite a lot for convenient local transport - small kids, groceries, gear for biking trips.

Bear in mind that overloading is a sure way to wear out quickly. It's a big difference between supporting some 230 lb guy for a very short time and doing the same when bumping and humping over all kinds of roads. The 100lb limit is probably a bit conservative, but bear in mind that wear and tear will be a function of not only load but also road conditions and how though you are riding.

Once you get the chance try bending and rattling those joints of your Burley trailer. Solid stuff, but clearly not made to sustain heavy loads for long periods of time.

#250962 - 09/15/12 01:17 AM Re: Non Motorized BOV/Transportation [Re: MostlyHarmless]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
Bear in mind that overloading is a sure way to wear out quickly.

QUICKLY! Did it one time when my employer moved across town. Used an underrated hand truck to move our fireproof filing cabinet. After about 100 yards or less, the axles destroyed the centers of the wheels.

#250975 - 09/15/12 12:56 PM Re: Non Motorized BOV/Transportation [Re: UTAlumnus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The thing about trailers is that you are increasing complexity. KISS works. Like Greg Sackett, I prefer panniers for both commuting and touring. A fifty pound load is easy. If I had to bug out, I would start with more, hopefully with my 37mm reinforced tires installed.

Flat tires are the most common malfunction on a bike. If you haven't the tools and knowledge to deal with a flat, you should not consider a bicycle as an option for anything other than pleasure riding around the neighborhood.

#250976 - 09/15/12 01:25 PM Re: Non Motorized BOV/Transportation [Re: hikermor]
Jolt Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Maine
Agreed, knowing how to fix a flat is critical as is carrying a spare tube, patch kit, pump and tire levers so you have the equipment to actually do it. It's really not hard, especially with the fatter tires as opposed to skinny road tires.

#250997 - 09/15/12 09:51 PM Re: Non Motorized BOV/Transportation [Re: MostlyHarmless]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
Originally Posted By: spuds
OK,bike trailers.Knew nothing about em so did some googling.

Apparently Burley is one of the better and they are all over craigslist for 1/2 to 1/3rd of new retail,an example...Apparently the 2 kid version is good for 100 lbs but I saw an ad where a 230 lb guy says his can support his weight.

Yup, Burley is good stuff. I am really happy with mine, and I have used it quite a lot for convenient local transport - small kids, groceries, gear for biking trips.

Bear in mind that overloading is a sure way to wear out quickly. It's a big difference between supporting some 230 lb guy for a very short time and doing the same when bumping and humping over all kinds of roads. The 100lb limit is probably a bit conservative, but bear in mind that wear and tear will be a function of not only load but also road conditions and how though you are riding.

Once you get the chance try bending and rattling those joints of your Burley trailer. Solid stuff, but clearly not made to sustain heavy loads for long periods of time.

Dont imagine i would actually choose to overload one,but thought it amazing the thing didnt just crumple the minute he added his wt.My thought was,nice frame,should last if used as designed.

Dagny,I have to say your setup is just so Dang nice,all I would add is solar to the mix somehow.

Thanks folks for the education,fascinating to gather up such great knowledge,THANK YOU ALL!

#251001 - 09/15/12 11:06 PM Re: Non Motorized BOV/Transportation [Re: spuds]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

one of the main rules for a Bug out Bike is not to skimp on tyres and tubes and even rim tapes. My Bug out Bicycle is using Schwalbe Marathon Dureme tyres and Slime self healing Tubes with Velox cloth Tapes.

http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/marathon_dureme

As well as carrying spare tubes, a folding bead tyre is recommended as well as part of the bicycle repair kit.

The last thing that you would want would be to have to call on Bicycle repair man! wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54CpPlCnM4I

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (09/15/12 11:15 PM)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 214 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.