Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2509 - 11/09/01 05:02 AM Re: What tools needed in multi-tool/SAK?
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

>>>Juice's can opener is inferior to the SAK. Anyone know how the wave's can opener compares?<<<<br><br>Yes, there are some issues with the Juice can opener and they can go beyond the more obvious ones caused by the basic design (which does work, if not as well as some others) depending upon the unit. I am currently following up on this with Leatherman. The Wave can opner works just fine, same as you would find on most folders such as an SAK or the U.S. knife.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#2510 - 11/09/01 06:34 AM Upgrading the Wave blade...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Doug...in your review of the wave you talk about how the blade could be replaced with an upgraded blade of BG-42 or ATS-34 or something similar.<br><br>My impression from things you've written is that you know a lot of custom knifemakers. How about seeing if you can find someone to offer this? Maybe do a limited run just for equipped.org members. I'm sure there must be a handful of people here that would buy an upgraded blade for the wave. Plus it could have a "serrated thumb push" or a large spydie-type hole for easier one handed opening.<br><br>

#2511 - 11/09/01 02:45 PM Re: What tools needed in multi-tool/SAK?
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>Therefore I went ahead and ordered a SAK Rucksack<<<br><br>Thanks for letting us know your decision. That looks like a great knife. One question, though, the SAK trailmaster is essentially the same knife, except it deletes the corkscrew and replaces it with a phillips screwdriver. Did you consider that option? What tipped you toward the Rucksack?<br>

#2512 - 11/09/01 04:14 PM Re: What tools needed in multi-tool/SAK?
peanut Offline
Journeyman

Magic, I have an older SAK Ranger that I carry, and I'm thinking about upgrading to one of their lockblades, specifically the WorkChamp. Are they comfortable enough for everyday carry? How are the various implements one the ones you've used? Any problems? Thanks in advance.<br><br>Peanut

#2513 - 11/09/01 04:29 PM Re: Upgrading the Wave blade...
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Magic,<br><br>Sorry, not my yob. Seriously, I have no interest whatsoever, nada, zero, zip, in selling anything. I have made suggestions to the manufacturers, who have decided it's not worth their trouble. Anyone here who feels there is a market and feels they can make money doing this, or just wants to do it for the "fun" of it, is welcome and equally if not more capable of developing such a product. I suspect there is a market, though I also suspect that once one person did it others would quickly jump on the bandwagon. I have no feeling for what price point potential customers would find acceptable. I'd be happy, of course, to review such a product if it came to market or perhaps even if it reached prototype stage. <br><br>While I do know some custom makers, that is not my real area of expertise. But, they are easy enough to locate and anyway, such a project would be more appropriate for a lesser known maker who possesses the very basic capabilities this sort of thing would ential and without the big buck name.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#2514 - 11/11/01 04:44 AM Re: What tools needed in multi-tool/SAK?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I did consider the phillips screwdriver instead of the corkscrew.<br><br>Here's why I didn't get it.<br><br>First, I always carry a rambler which I believe is the same as a Swiss Army classic except it adds a very small combination phillips screwdriver and a bottle opener. So I sort of have a phillips, although it's smaller than the standard Phillips.<br>http://www.gunthergifts.com/swisarram.html<br><br>(By the way I also have a Leatherman Micra...I prefer the rambler, it's smaller, lighter, and all the tools open easily...you don't have to unfold the whole thing to get at something. I'm sure the Micra is a little more robust, but it's much less convenient for me.)<br><br>Second, you can add a small regular screwdriver to the corkscrew. It's really neat if you've never seen it before. It's not included in this model, but it will fit in it. A picture of it can be found at http://www.gunthergifts.com/altimeter.html next to the corkscrew. You can usually buy it at any store that sells SAKs for $1.50 or so.<br><br>Third, I really don't have many times that I need a screwdriver, let alone a Phillips, where I don't have a real one...<br><br>But finally I wanted the corkscrew. People have commented that corkscrews are unnecessary because wine ways so much that you might as well carry a seperate corkscrew. I lived in Chile for a short while, and found that I would take my date on improvised unplanned picnics at the river mapocho. We'd stop by the supermarket, pick up some rolls, cheese, cucumber and tomato. And we'd pick up a bottle of wine. We'd go to the river and eat and drink (I think we actually drank right out of the bottle...it's been a few years).<br><br>So, the reason to have a corkscrew on your SAK or leatherman is really for one reason only. So you can have spontaneous romantic picnics...this usually doesn't happen in the U.S...it's more a South American or European thing! But it's useful to already have the knife for when you go over there.<br><br>By the way Castaway, I saw in your bio that you got into all of this after going on a day hike that left you in the woods at nightfall with no equipment. Exact same thing happened to me. I've been hanging out on equipped.org (and candlepowerforums.com) ever since...<br><br>Peanut...I found my old one to be great to carry, but it's been a few years. The workchamp must be two to three times as thick (or more) though...keep that in mind! Maybe you should try something a bit thinner. But I loved mine. I'll give a report on my new one once I've had some time to play with it.<br><br>

#2515 - 11/13/01 04:56 PM Re: What tools needed in multi-tool/SAK?
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
I don't know about backcountry survival, but for surburban living, Swiss Army is perfect. <br><br>I have several, but most often carry my Victorinox Craftsman or CyberTool 41. I find the Craftsman wood saw to be darned handy, especially when jamming, er, fitting, the Christmas tree into its stand. I carry the CyberTool when I'm in the office. The Craftsman gets carried more on weekends and out-of-town trips. I supplement the crappy screwdrivers on the Craftsman by carrying a Swiss-Tech MicroPlus. The MicroPlus is also a darned handy little too.<br><br>I know Doug isn't all that keen on Swiss Army, but I love the things. It's gotta be the Boy Scout in me. I joined the Victorinox Swiss Army Knife Collectors Society, and got to buy a Compact for less than retail price.

#2516 - 11/14/01 01:46 PM Re: What tools needed in multi-tool/SAK?
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
kodiak,<br><br>I'm curious, what other gadgets do you carrry?

#2517 - 11/17/01 07:17 PM Re: What tools needed in multi-tool/SAK?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Since you asked :0)<br>-Photon II<br>-Swiss-tech utili-key<br>-Scallion<br>-spyder-card <br>and in a little sack I carry-Bandana,dental-floss lighter (mini), sparky, cord, small compass-from a watch, princeton tec blast,bandaids,antiseptic,knot tying card, mini dyad,wave and lint.<br>

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 444 Guests and 319 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.