Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#250297 - 08/27/12 01:23 AM Re: Plain edge or Partially Serrated? [Re: Vogeler]
widget Offline
Addict

Plain edge for me. I have a few knives with partial serrations and they can be handy. I much rather go with a plain edge because a sharp one will cut anything I need to cut and I can sharpen and/or touch up the edge easily.

#250298 - 08/27/12 01:35 AM Re: Plain edge or Partially Serrated? [Re: Vogeler]
Vogeler Offline

Seems like the consensus is pretty clear. Straight it is.

#250302 - 08/27/12 02:27 AM Re: Plain edge or Partially Serrated? [Re: Vogeler]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Yup, for the vast majority of time spent on land, I like a plain edge. I've tried both serrated and partially serrated knives in the past and, after just a short time of hard use, they turn into plain edge knives anyway (as the serrations tend to break or wear away). I find it better just to start with a good plain edge and keep it sharp.

Now, when I'm on my boat or swimming/diving I carry a fully serrated blade. Simply because, out on the water, 99% of the time I'm cutting a line/rope. With that being the case, serrated edges work really well on line/rope.

#250303 - 08/27/12 02:45 AM Re: Plain edge or Partially Serrated? [Re: Vogeler]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
bacpacjac - I like that Ruko. Serrations on the spine. Not THAT I can see a use for. The serrations don't interfere with the straight blade, but are there if you want them. I wonder if that Ruko knife is still available? I like the look of it.

#250304 - 08/27/12 03:28 AM Re: Plain edge or Partially Serrated? [Re: Vogeler]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Just some thoughts.

1. I never buy a knife that has serrations on the back edge of the blade. Can't even understand why they would be there. It just weakens the blade. Those kinds of blades remind me of the "Rambo" mentality - doesn't make a lot of sense.

2. Serrations are helpful if you are in a situation where you cannot sharpen your knife. The knife will retain cutting power with them - against softer materials like tissue and meat. A partially serrated blade (with the serrations on the sharp side, toward the handle) gives you options for this kind of outcome.

3. I agree that straight edges are easier to sharpen and generally work very well for most purposes. The only time I used to avoid them was on knives for skindiving - these knives were usualy made from crummy stainless steel alloys. The edge holding was so bad that serrations worked better for me. Eventually I gave up and just took a sharp knife made from 1095 steel into the ocean, and cleaned up the corrosion each time after I was done for the day.

Pete2

Edited by Pete (08/27/12 03:29 AM)

#250306 - 08/27/12 04:34 AM Re: Plain edge or Partially Serrated? [Re: Pete]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Pete
I never buy a knife that has serrations on the back edge of the blade. Can't even understand why they would be there. It just weakens the blade. Those kinds of blades remind me of the "Rambo" mentality - doesn't make a lot of sense.

While I agree that putting serrations on the back side of a knife probably weakens the knife, so does putting an edge on it in the first place. It would be much stronger as a solid 1/8" thick chunk of steel with no bevel or edge. My thought would be that if you want a knife with both a straight edge and serrations, you will do better not polluting one blade type with the other with a "partial" thing. Instead, keep them seperate - on opposite sides of the knife. Or, as I mentioned in an earlier post, get one knife with full serrations and one knife without. That would be better yet. If you require a super strong knife (for batoning I assume), I would recommend getting an axe or tomahawk instead. A straight edge knife. A fully serrated knife. And a tomahawk/axe. And a saw. That's the ticket. No compromises by combining functions into one tool.

#250308 - 08/27/12 10:08 AM Re: Plain edge or Partially Serrated? [Re: Vogeler]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Plain edge for me. All day, every day. Serrations are useful on a bread knife and not much else.

#250310 - 08/27/12 12:08 PM Re: Plain edge or Partially Serrated? [Re: Vogeler]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
For the last few years, I have used a partially serrated Bear MGC for deer hunting. I found the serrations helpful in field dressing the animal. For this years hunt, I have purchased a Browning game saw, so my last use for a serrated blade is gone. All of my other knives are plain edged.

Attachments
bear.jpg

#250314 - 08/27/12 02:04 PM Re: Plain edge or Partially Serrated? [Re: hikermor]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
+1 on straight edge for the general outdoor use, and easier to maintain that edge in the field. Serrations have their place and uses as well. I know a LOT of First Responders who carry a partly serrated or fully serrated blade for cutting seat belts and other tough materials. A serrated blade might also be useful if you cut a lot of rope or webbing on a daily basis. Just like a lot of things, it just depends on where you are and what you do (or expect to do) with the blade. If you think you might need a serrated edge at some point, consider a folder with a serrated blade, or one of the multi-tools that include a serrated blade (leatherman wave comes to mind). YMMV

Usual disclaimers apply.

#250315 - 08/27/12 02:10 PM Re: Plain edge or Partially Serrated? [Re: Vogeler]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
If you do get partially serrated, make sure the serrations are not at the handle end. Close to the handle is where you have most precision, for carving etc. Serrations should be nearer the tip.

Although partial serrations can have a role, when a knife has them at the handle I suspect they are there mainly to make the knife look cool.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 261 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.